It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The CBC, a tool of the sitting government.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Tonight was the beginning of the NHL season(about as Canadian as you get), Sens vs Leafs. The Leafs honoured Hap Day, Red Kelly and Borge Salming. Guess who showed up for this game. Uh huh, minority gov't leader Steven Harper. They showed him during the presentation. They showed him singing during the French part of the national anthem. That's a Canadian thing folks. 2 official languages. They showed him with his arms in the air during a Sundin penalty shot. It dribbled in. Was he cheering that the shot went in? Was he cheering that the shot was stopped? Will he show up at EVERY opening Canadian hockey game?

A BIG question, why does a Western boy care about an Eastern hockey game? Would it have been different had, say, Edmonton or Calgary been in the game? Or maybe Montreal? He's seeking votes in Quebec, big time.

All of this being said, the CBC is a government agency. Why show him more than once? Why show the PM singing in French(again, a Canadian thing)? Were the CBC TOLD what to show? Personally, I think so.

What do my fellow Canucks think?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This "use" of the CBC by whatever regime is nothing new. Everytime the government changes there's a sweep not of personnel but those whose butts must be kissed to keep budget. It's practically a war, everytime.

CBC sports, CBC NewsWorld both have "leadership" at the moment very sympathetic to our current government. This time it is just grossly overt and condescending to the intelligence of the Canadian Public. Quebecers know this. Ontarians know this. We watched the game. So did it do him any good? Did you hear the crowd... uh, it wasn't exactly cheers. Such miscalculations indicate the media advice he receives is of diminished capacity and should take a holiday back home in NY.

He's hurtin' so bad in PQ he'll do just about anything... expect money goin' their way before the next election - lots of your and my and their money, not Harper's ours. They'll get the billon that Flaherty just cut out of the hides of the poor and women. Doesn't he get it... Canada is not Alberta and he should know that being born raised and educated in Ontario... neither is Canada the US where seemingly anything goes for the media. The Calgary School got him learned-up real good. He may even believe his own hype. He needs "A Made In Canada" plan actually made in Canada.

Harper needs to stop taking advice from the South or he ain't gonna get a majority or even a minority... I was almost prepared to like some of his regime's policies too. Not any more. That cynical conniving young-pup just lost a potential vote... perhaps more.

Victor K.

40'

[edit on 4-10-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Was he cheering that the shot went in? Was he cheering that the shot was stopped?

He was cheering because the camera was on him.

Showing up at an eastern game instead of a western does make sense, they're the ones that get broadcast nation-wide but all the hockey games in Canada aren't going to make people like him more.

Perhaps the CBC was paying him back for letting them survive another round of budget cuts.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

He was cheering because the camera was on him.

Here's the crux of the matter, did he have a camera on him the whole game and used what they could, or what they were told to use? I wouldn't bet against that.

Remember when Mulroney was at the Conservative convention and he was all smiles waving and talking to someone that the camera couldn't pick up? The camera panned back and it showed he was halfway up the lower bowl of the convention center, he couldn't be talking to anyone, sheer posturing. And we STILL elected the turd. :shk:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yeah I found myself scratching my head aswell.

Seemed like anything that was remotely patriotic, his grin was being splashed on the screen.

This really irratated me to no end. I'm not tuning into the hockey game to see what Harper picked up between intermissions to chew on, I want to see one helluva game.

Ploys like this would hopefully cost him votes.

Vote Kenny Dryden!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That's why I get so puzzled when people say the BBC, CBC etc. are more trustworthy than private news organizations -- and I have seen a lot of people say that here.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
That's why I get so puzzled when people say the BBC, CBC etc. are more trustworthy than private news organizations -- and I have seen a lot of people say that here.

I think that that is in reference to international news as opposed to domestic.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Like Intrepid said, when we say the CBC is more trustworthy than private news orgs, it's usually in reference to US news orgs coverage of international events. CBC is fine for domestic news and will cover government misdeeds, but you won't catch them breaking the story. They let the private orgs do that and then jump on the bandwagon.

If I pull on my little tinfoil toque (I am Canadian, after all) and speculate on why CBC Sports would be kissing Harper's butt, I would say that the Senate report that called for the end of professional sports on the CBC is the reason. How could Harper ever pull Hockey off the CBC when they give him the opportunity to look like a nice, hockey-loving, regular Joe?

Don't laugh, I've actually had someone on ATS tell me he can't be all bad if he loves hockey enough to start writing a book about it. Yeah, and Peter Pocklington loved hockey so much he bought an NHL team and I don't want him running the country either. He'd probably do something stupid like fire Hillier.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
How about TSN?

Sitting here watching the WJHC's on TSN, it is in the first intermission, and lone behold our guest speaker is Stephen Harper! Not Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Brent Sutter, Stan Butler, or any other hockey legend or previous Team Canada coach. No we are given this political crap having to listen to Harper's opinion on the first period. Grant it he seems to know a little bit about the game, but why do we have to look at his mug? I'll click over to a news station if I want to hear his voice, I'm watching the hockey game for a reason.

As soon as I heard his name that he was coming up, intrepid's thread came to mind. The media inundating us with political leaders, in what can only be perceived as some tactic to garner support.

Frustration.

Stephane Dion coming up for the 2nd intermission? Maybe... If we're lucky?

Next time the House is in session, will they have Ron Maclean in as a guest speaker?

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'll give it to Harper, the man is a smart politician and knows how to work the media. We've never had a PM that did that before. I suppose this is part of the 'Harper is a regular, approachable everyman' campaign.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I will admit, that pre-ATS I would of been enthralled to see our politician speaking so eloquently of the game. Analyzing both aspects, as well as offering some small tips to improve. I was overly impressed.

But thanks to ATS, it just came off as a sneaky ploy to garner support by manipulating the audience. If we listened closely, we would keep hearing that he caught bits and pieces of the game. Bits and pieces? What's up with that?

I'm not saying I disagree with Harper calling Sutter at the end of the game to congratulate, but does it really need to be broadcasted by TSN? Seems like he had much to gain from the effort. In my opinion, it would of come as more genuine if he were not benefiting so much from the action.

I'm interested to hear what intrepid thinks on this little stunt. Being that he authored this thread a few months ago, I look forward to hearing his opinion.

new topics

top topics

join