It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Teleport 2 Objects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Scientists teleport two different objects

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

This is pretty cool stuff here. I cant wait until we start doing some Star Trek stuff and teleporting all over the place. Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The World is about to get a whole lot smaller.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thats very impressive.

What did they teleport?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Something with billions of atoms... duh. lol.
Sorry.

This is very interesting. However, I doubt we will ever want to teleport people.

Teleporting a living person, is something akin to cloning the person on the other end... and killing the original person.

I wouldnt want to be the person cloned and killed... would you?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This isn't teleporting, it's more like Faxing a copy and shredding the original like the above post said.

If we were to ever discover that Sub-Space and Hyperspace exist, then maybe, just maybe, we might be able to create a teleportation-like effect. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Warp Drive is more likely by comparison.

[edit on 5-10-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Is somewhat of a misleading headline on the article's part. The actual "teleportation" is of information between two objects used as a storage medium.

The headline should read "Information is teleported between objects".

... have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium," Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

A remarkable breakthrought to be sure, but I think "Star Trek" is still a ways off

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I agree with the others that think this may be a bit misleading. But in regards to what the future may hold, the posibilities are really quite exciting..

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Sorry..

Forgot to mention that there is a related article here:

Quantum Teleportation across the Danube Demonstrated

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If this is teleporting, then you can start calling sending an email teleporting to, I send information so someone else's medium without phisically touching it...

Isn't that exactly the same thing?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoSuchAgency
If this is teleporting, then you can start calling sending an email teleporting to, I send information so someone else's medium without phisically touching it...

Isn't that exactly the same thing?

Great analogy!
It is almost the same thing. I for one would never like to get into any screwy contraption to be teleported into another some distance away. Reminds me of the horror movie, 'The Fly', where the guy emerges as a half human, half fly with greenish yellow goo gushing from the slit in his 'head'! You see, the molecules get mixed up with a fly!! Yuk!

I'm outta here!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It could be saying teleported information from light to matter. Light can be a carrier of information. Every time you use a radio, you are listening to information transmitted on a carrier wave of light. So, they could be saying that the information in a signal of light was turned into matter. However, even for small masses, the amount of energy involved is huge (E=mc^2). Hard to imagine that they could harness that much energy.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
why is there no video

a breakthrough if it even is so should be documented with video of some sort

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I have always imagined that the next great leap forward in medicine will be with the teleporting machine.
If you could code your genetics into a teleporter then teleport across the room then anything "not coded" would be left in the in the teleporter ie: cancer.
You could even go as far upgrading your genetic fingerprint every 5 years or so as you could then, on discovering you had a disease, reload yourself as you do with a "system restore" in Win XP.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalairTheGreat
why is there no video

I guess they figured a bunch of self-contained lab equipment didn't make compelling viewing.

I heard Ebert and Roper gave it

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aurora51
Scientists teleport two different objects

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

This is pretty cool stuff here. I cant wait until we start doing some Star Trek stuff and teleporting all over the place. Thoughts?

yeah teleporting is cool and all but consider this young jedi, if they are basically melting you in one end and rematerializing you on the other, are they not just killing you and making a quick clone of you? and lets not talk about soul that deserves its own thread which i think i'm going to start right now....

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalairTheGreat
why is there no video

a breakthrough if it even is so should be documented with video of some sort

You wouldn't see much at all actually. Did they videotape the first bit to be transferred over fiberoptics? What would you see? Nothing, just a bunch of happy and tipsy(on the way to raging drunkness) physists who've just made that breakthrough.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Yeah probably, because the thing they 'teleport' is way too small to see, it would love to see the looks on all the faces of those scientists though

Just imagine, after many years of study they finally make a breakthrough. Some of them will probably start crying

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Be interesting if anyone had estimates of future power requirement projections for more substantial objects. Is it relative to distance? IE., Would it theoretically take more power to transport a dog 500 miles than it does 500 feet

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the film Jet Li's The One, in it they can teleport to other dimensions, but the process (which I like the Idea of) involves seperating all the atoms of the human body sending them to elsewere and rejoining all the atoms, the way it is depicted on screen is a very painful process and they have had incidents were only half the atoms got there, so they were getting legs and arms or heads (this was only mentioned in the film, not shown) but the point is that it sounds a logical process if we could teleport, and if that is whats going to happen in the future it might not be a pleasant experiance.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I wonder how much money could be made by telling the world you have 'teleported' something.

Only a Physicist would be able to tell if it is real or not.
Put it this way, if a mechanic told you that your car needed a new Proto-manipulator, and you weren't a mechanic, you'd probably let him 'install' one.

I want Videos, uncut and to the minute.
I want specs on the machines that they were using.
I want to know that the machine on the other end didn't have any sort of matter
inside it before the tests took place.

(not that I expect a civilian with a store-bought computer to give me these things)

How many of you need a new Proto-manipulator?

[edit on 8-10-2006 by Unrealised]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join