It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fried Firewire on Mac G4 Cube?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
My mom has a G4 cube and the Firewire ports seem to just not work anymore (with devices that do work on my QuickSilver G4). I'm not really a hardware person, but it seems like the circuitry for the Firewire on the motherboard must have been damaged, since nothing works on either X or 9.

Any other ideas?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Did anything happen that may have caused the BIOS to reset?? (Changed battery, flashed BIOS, virus etc)

Or a power surge??

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I don't know...it was working then it wasn't.

It's actually not that big of a deal since my mom doesn't have any FireWire devices and really doesn't need them. I had appropriated her computer for my own use for a couple days for a special project...I need to research this damned cube and find out how to totally reset everything.

I know why the cube was discontinued so quickly now, it's so hard to work with...everything in the case is so tightly packed together...it looks nice though!

[edit on 10/4/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
That's one of the reasons why I would never buy something like that... Just because it looks nice...

For me everything in that box has to be upgradable for me to buy it..

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Did anything happen that may have caused the BIOS to reset?? (Changed battery, flashed BIOS, virus etc)

Or a power surge??

Mac's cant get virus', and you cant flash the BiOS.

What version of Mac OS are you using? (Check under 'About this mac' in the Apple menu)

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm running the latest version (10.4.8) plus getting the same problem when I start in the last version of 9 (9.2.2).

I actually took it to the Apple Store and the guy I got at the "genius" bar was an idiot and hardly wanted to even look at it. Luckly, there's a place Tekserve here in the city that speciallizes in Macs and supports all of them, not just ones made in the last year or two.

But, I think I'm just going to forget about it, I really don't need Firewire to work on that machine and a motherboard replacement (which would probably be required) would be expensive.

new topics

top topics

join