It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you afraid to defy Islam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Now after the danish pictures and the pope's comments, which was immediatly followed by global outrage from muslims everywhere; killing and burning down buildings. And in the same year before the danish picture incident, I remember in Egypt a church play depicted prophet Mohammed in some way that angered the muslims there and caused a national crisis with violent protests and attacking churches.
I dont understand though why things turned out that way all of a sudden, even though i'm a muslim. There is obvious tensions between christians and muslims, and my experience in Egypt showed me that there is a brotherhood between christians and muslims as normal equals, but when some thing like this happens, everyone hits the roof and suddenly start killing each other.
So basically it appears as though muslims around the world are waiting for hint of fire so they can spill the oil. I'm just asking if this by any means changed how westerners think of muslims and if people are now somewhat afraid to become outspoken about islam.

There was a similar incident back in 1988 where a book that was released that caused the same effect:
en.wikipedia.org...

And i found this site www.bible.ca... which i dont recommend reading by the way since the author is ignorant and totally rejects islam as a religion. And i think there should be some mutual respect among religions.

Now as a muslim i too can get angered by different views but i'm willing to compromise and create a dialogue instead of expressing it through violence.

[edit on 4-10-2006 by Dioxholster]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
eeeh salam my friend

Tension between religions has always existed, it exists, and will exist if we continue down this path. If you go back in time of the crusaders and saladin you will see that they fought about the same bulls%$t we fight today. Ignorance of man has shaped the world we live in today.

There is no right or wrong religion, each religion has good and bad deeds... thats why I say its God's work.. he/she/it creates the balance that we need.

The islamic extrimists have painted a picture of islam in the eyes of the western civilization. They have baricaded the way for true muslims to display the beauty of Islam.

I am a muslim myself but not a truthfull dedicated one. I have different believes when it comes to religion and GOD. I for one believe that nobody, a priest a imam a mosque or a church, can help you find God - for only you can seek and find God within.

religion in my opinion was designed to control the masses. And nobody shall control me but God.

Salam my firend

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
And by the way... is it me or does it seem that only muslims have "negative ATS points".
HAHAHAHAHA

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Dioxholster
I dont understand though why things turned out that way all of a sudden

I don't think that its all of a sudden though. Islam went through a long term decline, perhaps largely the result of teh decay of the ottoman empire, followed by the colonial administration of the muslim domain by the european powers. Regardless, the average muslim has for a long time been a powerless and ignorant minority in the world, and that allways permits reactionary demagogues to come to power. Thus, the great muslim intellectuals of the past have for a long time now been replaced by idiots like the Ayatollah Khomeni. Whereas Saladin was a muslim hero of past generations, bin Ladin or Arafat are the heros of today. Which is pathetic. Consider the Persia of the past compared to the Iran of today.

It was the same in europe during the dark ages, the people were uneducated except in religious doctrine, and would violently react, usually at the urging of one prelate or another, to any perceived or actual insult against the dominant religion. Today you can take a cross, put it in a jar full of urine, call it art, and there will be protests, but the museum isn't going to be burnt down. Islam needs to get to the point where a person can take a copy of the koran and soak it in pigs blood, and the most 'extreme' reaction is a loss in charitable donations for the supporting insitution.

theTRUTHtheWAY
is it me or does it seem that only muslims have "negative ATS points".

Yes, it is just you.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
There are lots of factors, but one I think is the increasing secularization of Western culture where practically nothing is considered off limits or sacred anymore. Fortunately, most Christians, Jews and other religions have been able to deal with it and cherish personal liberty and freedom of expression so are able to tolerate things that have been done in the name of "art" that are really far more offensive than the cartoons of Mohommad, such as Piss Christ, a piece of "art" showing Jesus on the cross in a bucket of urine that was displayed at a NYC museum a few years ago. The worst thing about that was that the the "artist" was even being supported partially by our taxes! Yet no one here beheaded anyone over it.

I think we just all need to chill out and respect each other and our diverse beliefs, and just learn to just use peaceful protest or simply ignore when highly offensive things come out

[edit on 10/5/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
the USA seems to be a country where christians are allowed to make your life a living hell for criticism of their religion, or their extremists' beliefs

just recently the judge that ruled the teaching of ID to be unconstitutional said he's received a stream of death threats since his decision.

AND HE'S A CHRISTIAN

imagine what would happen if a buddhist/pastafarian like me voiced my opinions about christianity

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Its all propaganda...the leaders of these mainstream religions probably dont believe in it, if so not the way the sheeple following do.

Nothing to be afraid of...unless you enjoy that game.

Truly, be confident in yourself...speak your mind...you will be fine.
(Alternatively, dont speak your mind, its all about choice...words are so limited, they only point so far.)

Peace

Dalen

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dioxholster

So basically it appears as though muslims around the world are waiting for hint of fire so they can spill the oil. I'm just asking if this by any means changed how westerners think of muslims and if people are now somewhat afraid to become outspoken about islam.
And i found this site www.bible.ca... which i dont recommend reading by the way since the author is ignorant and totally rejects islam as a religion. And i think there should be some mutual respect among religions.

Now as a muslim i too can get angered by different views but i'm willing to compromise and create a dialogue instead of expressing it through violence.
[edit on 4-10-2006 by Dioxholster]

Language difference is a big problem and causes a lot of misunderstandings, the so called West has become more and more secular and priests sermons and preaching are not regarded as important; religion has taken a back seat so to speak.
I am ,for instance, quite ignorant about the Bible (never mind the Coran) and I am able to lead a normal life, how is it for you?
We are told that religion is integral part of life for a Muslim, is it true?
There are some other cultural differences which I find incredible, example:

Aisha reported: Allah's Apostle married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old."
-Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3310

The Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years
-Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64

Why is that reported in a book? Is that true?

It would be nice to have a rational conversation with a muslim but one never knows when they are going to be offended, so one does not bother to discuss/interact...
It is not question of being afraid, it is more a question of being able to have a proper debate.

top topics

join