It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women's skin age far more than men do.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

TORONTO (Reuters) - Women's skin ages faster than men's, according to a German study using a new laser-based technique to measure damage from sun exposure and aging.

The study, published in Optics Letters, a journal of the Optical Society of America, was based on a new technique in which doctors shine pulses of infrared laser light to look at the deeper layers of the skin and measure aging.

The imaging of collagen and elastin, whose degeneration causes wrinkles and loss of smoothness, found that women lose collagen faster than men.

"The dependence appeared to be sex-dependent, with women's skin losing collagen at faster rates than men's," according to the researchers from Germany's Freidrich Schiller University in Jena and the Fraunhofer Institute of Biomedical Technology in St. Ingbert.

Collagens are a group of proteins in the dermis, the connective tissue layer of the skin, and are responsible for the strength of skin. The human body makes a lot of collagen in youth but production declines with aging.

So women have skin that age more than men...does it have to do with cosmetic stuff they applied on their skin? I mean really, women live longer than men, but they have older skin? Should we be blaming women for doing this to themselves?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I doubt its the skin cream, it's the amount of sunlight they recieve without protection. Cigarretes also age womens skin faster then it does men. See women with smoking lines around their mouth? Have you seen a man with the same wrinkles?

[edit on 3-10-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I would think it could be related to hormones. Biologically speaking, women are most attractive in their youth when child bearing opportunities are at their peak. As women age, their ability to reproduce deminishes so the need for attraction is no longer necessary. Both are more than likely controlled by the same hormones.

join