It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLB Playoffs

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Jose Valentin is up to bat now I believe in the Bottom of the seventh. Two balls and one strike is the count with one man on.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
mets win 2-0 in a pitching duel. nice hit beltran

tomorrow stl sends their cy young ace out to the mound so im hoping we even up the series. we freaking better .

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
well, so much for all that talk about a high scoring game. Glavine pitched masterfully and Weaver? Who the hell thought he could do that? Very impressive. Defense save the Mets in this one. Chavez' catch, which Floyd never would have made, was awesome. Two big double plays and the Mets squeeze out a win. I was stunned that Willie started Floyd at anything less than 90%. By doing so, Floyd is taken out in the second inning and one of our biggest threats off the bench is wasted (but batting so not as bad). Clearly he's got better legs so the defensive side of the replacement is great. I'd have started Chavez and used Floyd off the bench for what you can only hope would be a Gibson moment.

The Mets' bats better wake up tonight. They have a good record against Carpenter so maybe we'll see some more runs. Maine is starting for the Mets. He's the kind of pitcher who will give you anywhere from 4 to 9 innings of 3 hit ball but those three hits are often home runs. The Mets must win tonight and there was a sign in the crowd that explained it best. Glavine, Maine, pray for rain.

Not using Heilman in the 8th was a strange and bold move for Willie. He's owned the 8th inning all year but Mota seems to thrive on the danger and he managed to get in and out of the 8th with flair.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Yeah I was suprised to see Floyd in the line up.

Glavine was typical Glavine last night wasn't he?

Glavine, Maddux, & Smoltz, those guys are just machines when it comes to the post season. It's no wonder the Braves won so many divisional titles.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Glavine has a hell of a lot of post season experience thanks to all those years with the Braves but his record in the NLCS is spotty and his later years haven't been kind to him in the playoffs but he is clearly stepping it up a few notches with the decimated starting rotation.

Hopefully Floyd's ankle isn't ruined for the playoffs. If he can at least hit off the bench his slot in the line-up wouldn't have been a complete mistake. Not including him this round would have been wise, allowing him to rest that ankle for the World Series but you don't know if you will make it that far and this is his last season with the team (unless they resign him which is unlikely) and he is a huge locker room uplifter.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Of the Tigers & A's, who do you feel has a better shot at taking down the Mets?

With the A's dropping the first two, the answer may become alittle lopsided. But even though I am rooting for Detroit, I understand Oakland is far from done.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Quick question,

Is it a 2-2-1-1-1 Format or 2-3-2?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
2 3 2 series format. 5 straight games thanks to the rainout. Detroit might implode but they are probably going to get there anyway so I guess I have to hope for the Mets winning and nothing else.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
in the what was I thinking category of stupidity, I purchased two tickets for a charity event that sounds very cool. Film industry oriented so lots of celebs will be on hand and Elvis Costello is performing. My wife probably can't go thanks to work, she already said no to my suggesting I bring my hot secretary and the event is Monday night during game 5.

So, I'm praying for a sweep.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm still guessing it will be Detriot v Mets

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Check this link out Crakeur, I think you'll like it.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com... 0/13/scoop.friday/index.html

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
back in the late 90's the yankees employed a very large number of 86-88 mets players and coaches. This is a nice reversal.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The Beltran deal has to be sitting pretty with the Mets. Last year he was alittle lackluster, but the guy is a ballplayer. You knew he could turn it around.

Big Unit who?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Beltran is still an issue when playing at home. His stats are amazing on the road. Last year's boo fest really got to him and even last night he barely made the curtain call. Delgado and Floyd homered in game one against the Dodgers and didn't get the curtain call. Beltran doesn't seem to like the Shea fans but he's performing so it's not an issue anymore.

I thought the Yankees were making a mistake with Johnson and that has since been proven true. The Mets always hit him, even when he was still one of the premiere pitchers and they sucked. That says a lot about his abilities.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ahh I don't think we can question his ability. Some people have his number, but this is the truth for anyone.

Johnson has been one of the best pitchers in history. I'd put him in the top 10 or 20.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
he hasn't been in the top 20 for two years now.

he was once one of the best. those days have passed him by.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
He is on the decline of his career. That does not take away from everything he has accomplished.

He's not in the top 20 of the league today, but his career is in the top 20 of all time.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
He's not in the top 20 of the league today, but his career is in the top 20 of all time.

no doubt about it but even still, the Yankees grabbed his name and past history over grabbing more reliable arms when they signed him.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No objection here.

Yankees are always looking for that wow factor when they announce a signign.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Yankees are always looking for that wow factor when they announce a signign.

Steinbrenner's biggest problem is that he wants to bring in the biggest marquee names so that he can ensure a full house and huge revenues AND he wants to win it all. That combination doesn't always work out, which he, hopefully, has learned.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join