It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't know how many members are aware at the feather ruffling Sacha Cohen's Borat movie seems to be causing the Kazakhstan government but I am beginning to wonder if this could actually boil over into one of the most ridiculous international incidents of all time.

For those who don't know; Sacha Cohen (da ali g show) has done a movie based on one of his characters "Borat". Which for me it's really one of the funniest characters he does unless your a Kazakh official of course.

Considering information like this:

From CIA factbook
Kazakhstan, the largest of the former Soviet republics in territory, excluding Russia, possesses enormous fossil fuel reserves and plentiful supplies of other minerals and metals.

www.cia.gov...

And stunts like this:

Secret Service agents turned away British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, in character as the boorish, anti-Semitic journalist, when he tried to invite "Premier George Walter Bush" to a screening of his upcoming movie...Also invited to the screening: O.J. Simpson, "Mel Gibsons" and other "American dignitaries."

www.cnn.com...

Could this actually boil over into something?

The Kazakhstan government has already done some saber rattling regarding the movie and they are one of the few countries who have troops on the ground in Iraq and of course that coupled with our need for oil...if things continue to go all pear shaped in the middle east I would think the current administration is looking with a hungry eye toward Kazahkstans reserves.

There's also been a massive PR campaign here in the states in their effort to counter what they believe is a movie that damages their credibility (the Borat Movie) I don't know if anyone else has seen the commericials for tourism in kazakhstan but here in Los Angeles they're running about three times a day on CNN.

It's the usual come to our country and see our sites and experience our culture type deals but there is no mention in the spots about enjoying the Kazakh sense of humor.

I can't quite understand how the Kazakh government could take anything about Borat seriously. Yes the character is anti-sematic and crass and incredibly thick headed but thats one of the things that make it so funny...to me anyway.

I don't think anyone can look at this:
www.borat.tv...
And really think that Borat is a true reflection of the average Kazakhstan citizen.

So in the end the USA esepcially now needs to be seen as a leader and advocate of world human rights (something that gets tougher by the day) and there are rumors and reports of Kazakhstans crumbling social infrastructure but there oil and mineral reserves make them vital to the current and future demands of the U.S. economy...unless we truly kick it into gear and get off oil.

So could the Kazakh government end up making such a stink that some spineless weasel (wether congressman, senator or even white house staffer) could be pressured into making an official statement condemning the borat movie?

My feeling is yes, in this current climate it's highly possible though I think it would just be more fodder for the late night talk shows and of course things like this tend to backfire and just bring more attention to the project they didn't want you to see in the first place.

I would be interested in hearing members opinions of not only this but the current state of "free Speech" both here (USA) and abroad.

Are things better than they were or worse? Does freedom of speech and expression even matter in a 24 hour news/blogger saturated world where every opinion and spin seems to contradict the thing you heard or read previously?

Did Sacha cross some sort of line? Not in my opinion, but hey maybe I'm wrong or just not sensitive enough. As for the state of freedom of expression and speech ot seems to be limping along but between the war and political correctness it's certainly not the healthy beast it was.

More links for information on Kazakhstan:
www.eia.doe.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

IMDB Sacha Cohen:
www.imdb.com...

Spiderj

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If only the whole world could be like us hillbillies and rednecks. Branson, Missouri would still be just another dot on the map if it weren't for the Scotch-Irish poking fun at themselves for a buck.

Who in the world would even care about Kazakhstan, except for the oil, were it not for this comedian? Who in the world would care to visit such a place if it were not for the commercials designed to combat the image created by the comedian?

Kazakhstanis, or whatever they call themselves, need to learn a thing or two about capitalism.

Besides, it's not like they're the first Eastern Europeans to make Americans laugh.

[edit on 2006/10/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Ha Nice pic grady...back when SNL was relevent and funny.

I do think that it's really the Kazahk government and not the people...like most countries there seems to be a disconect between the government and the people.

Deep down in their hearts I'm sure they're all wild and crazy guys...and gals.

Though if there are any members from Kazahkstan I'd love to hear their opinions of Borat.

SPiderj

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Man I can't wait to see this haha.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Man I can't wait to see this haha.

Yep me neither. I don't know if you've seen any previews or clips but if you go to ye ole youtube and type in borat there's loads of stuff form both the ali g show and clips and trailers of the borat movie.

It really is some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while.

Spiderj

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This movie is going to be HUGE. I can't wait.

top topics

join