It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N' korea to test nuclear weapon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Yes I know... however, there are just SO MANY in the Western public that believe in those "insanely stupid" comments. We all know, without a doubt, that MOST Westerners are insanely ignorant about the PRC.

It's not just a few things I've heard from a few ignorant people... it's truly RAMPANT among the general American public.

China does NOT want to see a confrontation between NK and the US... believe it or not. Can anyone really name ANY logical benefit to the PRC if war broke out?

China fears harsh actions against the NK because of one reason - millions of NK refugees would be flooding into China. Nearly all of NK's fuel and food source comes from aid from the PRC... If anything were to happen, China would have an uncontrollable influx of NK refugees that would be nearly impossible to handle / stop.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
A person doesn't even need political knowledge or studies to affirm any of those..

Everything you just said could've been assumed simply from logic..

And I'd like to know where this is running rampant. Do Americans just blither on about their feeling about North Korea and China where you live?
Quite an interesting place I imagine.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
NK is #ing small.. could they actually detonate a test nuke on their on soil without harming lots of innocent civilians? and would some of the radiation spill over into south korea?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Underground tests: As much for secrecy as safety.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
At least in China, even with gov't controlled media, no one is hardly as ignorant of America as people in America are of China.
[edit on 5-10-2006 by k4rupt]

I wouldn't even dream of generalising ..
There are some pretty drastic things in China..
Here's one for example:

International estimates for the number of executions carried out in China is varying between from 2 to 10000.

I find that a very serious accusation to say the least..
Its difficult to draw analogies to capitalism and such severe state policies.
And the capitalism is not rampant. Just sometime back there has been a major clamp down on major corporations and even within the higher ranks of the government. People are being taken away for questioning; passports confiscated..
anyways this is all off-topic..

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well there's a meeting happening right now in London. Lets hope some good can come from this, but I doubt it will. I think the UK wants to press for more severe sanctions unless N' Korea backs down. Do you all feel that this would help or do you all feel that its gone to far now for us to discuss a solution with N' Korea??

About the nuclear weapon that could be tested, what sort of size do you think N' Korea will test and does any one have any idea where it could be tested?? What do feel would be an appropriate response (nuclear or conventional) if N' Korea goes ahead with the test??

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
As far as I know, the last nuclear test conducted underground took place on May 28, 1998 by Pakistan.

I remember thinking about it a few days later, when side effects other than radiation killed 4,000 people in a neighboring country.

For speculations sake, if NK conducts a test on Sunday, and South Korea experiences a Tsunami on Wednesday due to a massive underwater quake, or Seoul gets rocked by an earthquake costing billions, I wonder how that effects this discussion. What if it happens to China...

Underground nuclear detonation doesn't take place in a vacuum, NK may be able to seal out radition leaks, but they can't control all the side effects, no country has ever been able to do control the side effects of nuclear 'testing.'

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
1)Yes I know... however, there are just SO MANY in the Western public that believe in those "insanely stupid" comments. We all know, without a doubt, that MOST Westerners are insanely ignorant about the PRC.

2)China fears harsh actions against the NK because of one reason - millions of NK refugees would be flooding into China. Nearly all of NK's fuel and food source comes from aid from the PRC... If anything were to happen, China would have an uncontrollable influx of NK refugees that would be nearly impossible to handle / stop.

1) Same as China, some stupid anoias called fenqing has no more brain, I know this and saw this much more than you, don't you believe? Do u want me say it in this board?

2) Do u still believe some one in Zhongnanhai has such intelligence to control N' Korea? Maybe u have this intellgence but you are not work in zhongnanhai

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
As far as I know, the last nuclear test conducted underground took place on May 28, 1998 by Pakistan.
I remember thinking about it a few days later, when side effects other than radiation killed 4,000 people in a neighboring country.

I think your fears in both cases are unfounded fors two reasons:

1) The earth quake occured over 500km from the test site. The detonation shaft probably wasn't greater than 200 meters.

2) The yield of ANY of the nuclear devices in Pakistan were under 10 KT in terms of yield. Moreover if I'm not mistaken the last test was even lesser than the first on.

Difficult to draw a link between the two.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So is there a possibility of the US carrying last minute pre-emptive strikes?

The morning of the first Pakistani tests witnessed an air-defence alert in Pakistan equivalent to wartime levels with numerous PAF F-16 A/Bs and F-7Ps patrolling the skies above major nuclear installions in Pakistan in the anticipation of a joint Indo-Israeli pre-emptive air strike(carried out from Indian soil)
Interesting to see what would have happened if such a strike had actually been carried out.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
N Korea claims to have tested!!!
This is extremely grave!!

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Gave china 20 minutes warning, and apparently no fallout.

It measured 3.5 on the Richter scale. The indians managed only 5.0 and that was 12 kilotons. So its less than 12 kilotons and might be 1kt

Compare with indian results

If the devices actually produced the yields claimed by Indian weapon scientists, we would expect to observe a seismic signal strength corresponding to 55 kilotons, or magnitude 5.76 on the Richter scale. Instead, the average recorded magnitude was 5.0, which indicates a probable yield of 12 kilotons, with the range possibly as low as 5 kilotons and as high as 25 kilotons.

Wikipedia also list some examples
3.5 178 metric tons Chernobyl nuclear disaster, 1986
4.0 1 kiloton Small atomic bomb

So its about the power of Chernobyl

[edit on 9-10-2006 by chinawhite]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
But you have to consider how far away was the scale from the explosion. From what I've seen on Korean TV, the test took place on the northermost tip of NK. The scale numbers were recorded from Seoul.

SK TV, who needs foxnews.....pfft....

andong.pusanweb.co.kr...

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
Gave china 20 minutes warning, and apparently no fallout.
It measured 3.5 on the Richter scale. The indians managed only 5.0 and that was 12 kilotons. So its less than 12 kilotons and might be 1kt
[edit on 9-10-2006 by chinawhite]

That is hotly contested cw..
The claimed yield is 40 KT+ for the Indian N test with international estimates ranging from 25 to 55KT with a simluated yield of 200KT for Shakti I
(I presume you are talking about the same test).
It would be more prudent to look at the Pak tests considering the fac that the designs may be very much pakistani and the yields may be very much equivalent to pakistani tests.
Note that the testing topology is similar for the PAk and NK tests as well.

Again seismic activity is NOT an accurate gauge and many centers get varying results at equivalent distances.
My estimate considering all factors above is between 1 to 5 KT.

Here is a critical assessment of the yields of Indian nuclear tests.
A good read but not very conclusive.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
That is hotly contested cw..

I wasn't claiming that indias Kt was only 12. I was refering to the Richter scale measurment they gave 12kt = 5.0. Hope that clear its up

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Maybe..
I think you might have been referring to Shakti II which is was infact 12KT.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
wasnt NK saying less than a year ago that it was committed to having a nuclear-weapons-free peninsula with SK? Some sort of joint statement after a meeting.. when it looked like some progress had been made diplomaticly, earlier this year?

and now look, already testing. so how can anyone honestly believe Iran when they say they arent going to build a bomb? North Korea said the same thing. I wouldnt be surprised if Japan grows a nuclear arsenal seemingly overnight with close assistance from the United States.

hell.. it would be like the Cuban missle crisis, except for NK, and instead of Cuba being the isle, it'll be Japan, with the US providing the missles, lol.

wouldnt it be unfortunate if NK did eventually launch an attack on Japan? Talk about being the unlucky one on the block, getting nuked TWICE within 70 years? lol..

[edit on 9-10-2006 by runetang]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
wouldnt it be unfortunate if NK did eventually launch an attack on Japan? Talk about being the unlucky one on the block, getting nuked TWICE within 70 years? lol..

lol, getting nuked twice within 70 years.... I suppose chinese ppl will finally show some sympathy toward japanese ppl after seeing that happens, but I highly doubt the probability of this scenario.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

And I'd like to know where this is running rampant. Do Americans just blither on about their feeling about North Korea and China where you live?
Quite an interesting place I imagine.

No, actually, I live in San Francisco and we seem to be a bit more open-minded. And yes, it is a VERY interesting place to live.

Now before you label as an crazy liberal, I'd like to have you know I started the Republican Youth Committe at my high school.

Ok, back on topic.

Well, it's here boys. NK has stated it successfully tested their Nukes. If we confirm this, what actions do you think will happen?

[edit on 9-10-2006 by k4rupt]

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If anyone doubted whether NK had nukes or not, they now know the answer to that question...

North Korea should be invaded and liberated from the rule of that Pigmey dictator. This is not an option, but a necessity. The pigmey dictator is now so self-confident that no sanctions will stop him. Nothing but a military strike will be effective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join