It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Announced That They Will Test a Nuclear Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
In an escalation of the standoff between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, which in reality is perceived as an Dictatorship, and the rest of the world on its attempts to become a Nuclear Power, the North Korea's foreign ministry have issued a statement confirming they will test their first Nuclear Bomb.

today.reu ters.co.uk
An increasingly isolated North Korea said on Tuesday it would conduct its first-ever nuclear test, blaming a U.S. "threat of nuclear war and sanctions" for forcing its hand.

The announcement confirms weeks of rumours the communist state was planning a test and came amid increasingly sour relations with the outside world after it test-fired missiles in July.

Analysts say North Korea probably has enough fissile material to make six to eight nuclear bombs but probably does not have the technology to make one small enough to mount on a missile.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The statement made by the foreign ministry seemed to infer and blame the USA for this. They state that this is only being done to protect themselves from the threat of attack from the USA after the now infamous "Axis of Evil" speech by President George.

This is obviously not the real reason behind the test. The reality is that the USA and any allies are too stretched with operation in Iraq and Afghanistan to be able to make any type of successful invasion of the northern part of the Korean peninsula.

Their is a long and eventful history behind the current situation. Following the withdrawal of the Japanese after WW2 and diplomatic wrangling between Russia and the USA and allies eventually a DMZ was set up splitting the peninsula in two. Even though this happened in 1953 the DMZ is in the centre of the most militarised territory in the World. The real concern though is with the present issue of the fear the Japanese have of an invasion by the North Koreans, and also the fact that the northern border of Korea shares it with both Russia and China, and to the South the Largest number of US personal outside of Iraq are stationed. One mistake in this area could quickly degenerate into a shooting war.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.timesonline.co.uk
abcnews.go.com
www.nytimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
N. Korea 'to conduct nuclear test'
N.Korea to test nuke
POLITICS: North Korea Raises Threats Of Nuclear War

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3-10-2006 by MischeviousElf]

[edit on 3-10-2006 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 3-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It gets so tiring hearing the next threat that NK can come up with to try to get the civilized world to give them something.

(Wait, I forgot, this must be a peaceful nuclear bomb test, right? Because they only wanted nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, just like their buddies in Iran do.)

I sure wish China would just tell them they are tired of their games and tell them to start playing with others nicely or you are going to get spanked. It's hard to believe they have let NK make so many threats without at least giving them a good tongue lashing to settle them down.

I say, let them test, let's see if they can actually build a nuclear bomb.

Let's keep all the sanctions against them in the mean time so they will suffer economically, and maybe the NK people will come out from the spell they are under from their government and make some changes in their government themselves.

If their test isn't successful, they gain nothing from their annoying threats and maybe they will come to the negotiation table. If not, nothing gained and nothing lost (or given away) over an empty threat (kind of like their failed missile test).

If they test successfully, negotiate for them to disarm all nukes or more sanctions or worse.

[edit on 3/10/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
They are trying REALLY hard to impress someone. Their missile was a complete failure, so now they need to make up for it with a nuclear bomb.

Who wants to place their bets that their bomb does not detonate, and they can't approach it for about a week for safety reasons.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

is perceived as a dictatorship

Who writes this stuff? communist sympathisers?

NK IS a dictatorship! They are not a true communist state...there has never been a true communist state as dreamed up by Marx or any of the other creators of this ideaology....

anyway, I dont think the US will stop them militarily because of their proximity to China. We never know though....

[edit on 3-10-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Who writes this stuff? communist sympathisers?

NK IS a dictatorship! They are not a true communist state...there has never been a true communist state as dreamed up by Marx or any of the other creators of this ideology....

I was just showing the discrepancy between the name of the Country and that all people in the world know truly that it is a Dictatorship. Infact it is run more along the lines of a feudal or monarchy as the power was passed down from the previous Leader Kim to his son.

The timing of this event seems to coincide with announcement by the UN that the South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki- Moon has been unequivocally accepted as the replacement to the Current Secretary General of the United nations Kofi Annon when he steps down soon. The announcement from North Korea came some hours after the above became known globally.

This has truly raised tensions in the area and it is hard to see how the UN or the international Community can react to this. The North Koreans are already in a state of near starvation due to their isolationism and current sanctions. Also China and Russia who have veto’s on the UN security council are unlikely to allow any Coalition to take up further positions on their borders. This is especially true of Russia since the recent Georgian Spy diplomatic spat, with Russia very concerned on Georgia’s willingness to join, support the EU and Nato.

In response to the announcement some statements have been made that seem fairly threatening in return to the North Koreans if they were to proceed with this test:

South Korea has warned that North Korea would "bear entire responsibility for the consequences" of a nuclear test.

in addition

After a security meeting Wednesday, South Korean officials said they would not tolerate a test and urged Pyongyang to return to six-nation talks on ending its nuclear programs.

Voice of America

The US said such an action would be "provocative", while Japan said it would be "unacceptable".

BBC

Today Wednesday China has unusually got involved with international diplomacy and has called for "calm"

We hope that North Korea will exercise necessary calm and restraint," a Foreign Ministry spokesman said, urging other states not to escalate tensions.

see above link bbc:

What though seems to me to be the most worrying development is that today after announcing the test yesterday the North Koreans have called for the US forces based in South Korea to withdraw completely!!

The US occupational forces in the South are putting spurs on warlike forces there while blocking the improvement of North-South relations by raising tension by reckless, provocative military drills,
It is our nation's persistent resolve and intention to force the US invasion forces to leave the South

This was stated in the Rodong Sinmun, the official daily of the ruling communist party.
Australian Herald Sun

As North Korea is one of the poorest countries on earth (for gdp per capita) and is bordered by a booming China, Russia and one of the worlds top ten economic powerhouses in South Korea, this may be an indication of wanting to reclaim its perceived rights to the territory in the South for economic survival purposes.

Whatever is going on in the mind of a man who runs this isolated state it is doubtful that it is in the best interests of his people, the local area or the world. I personally feel this is a greater challenge to the international community than the situation in Iran over Nuclear capabilities.

Regards

Elf.

North Korea on Wiki

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
As this situation progresses today the US administartion announced that:

He said North Korea had reached "a very important fork in the road - it can have a future or it can have these [nuclear] weapons but it cannot have them both"

top US negotiator Christopher Hill said!

BBC

Well that is pretty plain language, no negotiations on this, the US certainly seem to have drawn a line in the Sand on this issue. The statement could be taken to mean that Northy Korea would not exist (have a future) if they proceed with the test. Given the reality of an land based invasion being unlikely as the situation in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and the number and type of North Koreas defenses I can only take this as a veiled threat of Nuclear retalliation on North Korea if they do proceed.

I certainly hope I am being paranoid on this and totally wrong, but thats my take.

I just hope somehow the six party talks can resume and create some movement forward on this issue, for the safety of the region and the wider world.

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
As this situation progresses today the US administartion announced that:

He said North Korea had reached "a very important fork in the road - it can have a future or it can have these [nuclear] weapons but it cannot have them both"

top US negotiator Christopher Hill said!

BBC

Well that is pretty plain language, no negotiations on this, the US certainly seem to have drawn a line in the Sand on this issue.

Sounds like the US took the stand along the lines of the my first post (2nd post in this thread).

How long did NK think that the world community would keep playing their stupid game? There comes a time when you have to put your foot down and say enough is enough with this sort of dialogue.

Now NK can have their nukes (if they actually have a successful test, I'm doubting it) and live miserably cut off from most of the world until they change their way of negotiating.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Keyhole Thanks,

I agree some sort of pressure needs to be put on the North Koreans to stop the constant posturing and threats. What worries me about this is that its like Calling "wolf" to many times, maybe they mean it this time and at the back of everyone’s minds is the crazy statements coming out of Pyongyang previously.

Anyhow just to add as this progresses:

Russia says it is in direct contact with North Korea to try to prevent it from carrying out its plan to test a nuclear weapon.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow was talking to the North Korean leadership in an attempt to dissuade it from conducting a test.

BBC

So some dialogue is taking place which is positive. However with the Chinese stance im not sure. It would be better for them to negotiate as they are the closest the North Koreans have to an "ally"

Regards

Elf

[edit on 5-10-2006 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Has anyone found any evidence that the US may be inclined to act unilaterally if NK goes ahead with the test? It doesn't seem a far fetched idea for this adminsitration.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
what would suprise me the least would be a news brief saying that there was an "accident" at their test facility and ole' kim would start spouting off that his countries nuke was 'sabotaged' by 'foreign operatives' thats waht i see coming

meanwhile, back at the ranch, team 6 is kickin back with some cold ones and smiles of men who had a job well done.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
In a further development of the tension created by North Koreras anouncement to test a Nuclear Bomb:

South Korean troops have fired warning shots at soldiers from the North amid rising tension

in addition:

Early reports suggest that about 40 shots were fired when soldiers crossed into the demilitarised zone

BBC

Well this is really bad news. It seems that some type of confrontation is imminent. If such actions as the above were to make any US casualties I dont even want to think about the consequences or the responce

Regards

Elf

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
now now...
dont go hoarding supplies yet...

they still have to confirm permission with daddy China, and the incursion could have just been fishermen trying to get to a fishing hole...

the north koreans regularly go thru the nuetral zone, for various reasons.... some of them have nothing to do with military...

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
China, for the first time, is now starting to warn North Korea. If a nuclear weapon is tested, economic aid to North Korea will stop coming from China and the Country will end up falling apart over night.

And, according to reports this morning, a test is not "imminent"

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
i think this whole thing comes down to that they think they can blackmail us...just look at some of the dialogue coming out of NK through "sources".

"oh we're gonna test this baby, but, ya know, if the US was to lift its sanctions...we 'may' reconsider the test"

screw em, let them test it and see how fast the purse strings from the rest of the world get cut. after a few months of starvation, he'll be BEGGING to be a good boy and be let back into the rest of the world.

new topics

top topics

join