It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Korea to test nuke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
NK's Foreign ministry announced today:

"The DPRK will in the future conduct a nuclear test under the condition where safety is firmly guaranteed"

"The U.S. extreme threat of a nuclear war and sanctions and pressure compel the DPRK to conduct a nuclear test, an essential process for bolstering nuclear deterrent, as a corresponding measure for defense," said the statement, carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

Source: CNN

A distraction from Iran/"October Surprise"? Will the UN send NK a nasty letter if they do succeed in testing? Would they be violating treaty? I don't think they signed the NPT, did they?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
A distraction from Iran/"October Surprise"? Will the UN send NK a nasty letter if they do succeed in testing? Would they be violating treaty? I don't think they signed the NPT, did they?

Does it matter? Certain other countries withdraw or ignore treaties as soon as it doesn't benefit them. Of course this will be the same country that will be whining hardest about this test.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
It seems that North Korea is still screaming like a little kid for attention..

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What are their chances of success?

I didn't really think that they'd abide by the test ban anyways, so it's not much of a surprise.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nothing
It seems that North Korea is still screaming like a little kid for attention..

couldn't of said it better myself...

North Korea may test a nuke to get attention, but if North Korea does, expect China to pull out all of its economic aid and take a tough line on North Korea.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   
He really want Bush to win the mid-term elections? He's stupid or what?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Britain said it would view any nuclear test as a highly provocative act.

The statement by North Korea's foreign ministry, carried on the official KCNA news agency, was condemned by neighbouring Japan as "unacceptable" and caused South Korea to increase its security alert.

Anyone, can say what they want but this dosnt look good. Britain said a highly provocative act. What does that mean exactly for us?

[edit on 3-10-2006 by Shar]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Folks, really, this is nothing more than little kimmy acting like a spoiled brat that's starved for attention. And what do we do with the kids that act like that? GO WHIP THEIR ASS AND SEND THEM TO THEIR ROOM!

No big deal here.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I'm guessing the repercussions of another test will be....nothing.

They have done it, and will continue to do it.

I don't think any of the big players want to go up against the "Kiminator" anytime soon. They have an idea of what he is capable of doing and that it itself should scare us all.

Everyone seems to be discussing what to do about it and even laying down some threats, but none of it seems to be deterring him at all. The US & UK are still reeling in the effects of their current efforts abroad, to take action against someone else right now ( Iran excluded ) is probably not in their best interests.

He will at some point be that "diabolical little man with his finger on the button", if he is not polishing it right now.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

[couldn't of said it better myself...

North Korea may test a nuke to get attention, but if North Korea does, expect China to pull out all of its economic aid and take a tough line on North Korea.

In some ways I'm quite surprised that people have this idea that China takes a tough line on North Korea. I lived in South Korean for two years and two years in Vietnam, and let me tell you....China has serious ideas about bringing these countries (including South Korea) back under it's wing. The balance of power is shifting in East Asia. I believe that China is actually using North Korea in brinkmenship. North Korea also makes the world's most sophisicated fake US Dollar in the world, called the superdollar. These notes are then filtured around the world and into places that you might find very surprising

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I personally think they have already tried a test on serveral occasions but have failed to get anything to work.

They announced full nuclear weapons capabilites a few years back... why wait so long to actually set one off?

If they do the whole world will isolate them and sanctions would be pretty servere

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
How about this for a Conspiracy.......

The US makes a pre-emptive nuclear strike (just 1 bomb) on North Korea......

then spinning the media to make it sound like North Korea messed up and blew itself up.

Or maybe the 30,000 miles long by 2,500 miles wide space ships will arrive.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
niceone, it will give us something to watch on the skynews

i can't wait till we wipe each other out...let dolphins evolve man, they would do a much better job than us apes.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'll be the first to say I think the earliest we can see a North Korea nuke test is October 9, 2006... Columbus Day here in the U.S, a national holiday (just like their failed missile tests). From that day onward, I think we could see a test.

As for what the countries in the region will do is unknow. I know South Korea asked Japan about the constitutionality about a pre-emptive strike in case of a nuke test... ie. is it an act of war? I believe Japan can only use military action purely for defensive purposes. Any test will force China to take a tougher stance on North Korea, and South Korea will become increasingly nervous and hamper relations if not destroy it. Then there is the question of an arms race. China already has the bomb, will they feel threatened enough to make more? Japan and South Korea can easily make the bomb, will they feel threatened to do so?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's also Chusok holiday in Korea now...Harvest Moon festival. I seriously doubt they will do anything during the biggest holiday in the Korean calender.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Ok, lets say they do it. Lets say they test it. What does that mean for us here in the US? Does it change anything? Will we go to war with them because of it? Or does it get ignored?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Oh, and one more thing about October 9, 2006. The Security Council will conduct a formal vote for the next Secretary General, and right now, Ban Ki-moon, a South Korean, seems unbeatable.

Someone asked what it means for the U.S. Well, I really don't think we will go to war unless South Korea carries out a pre-emptive strike against the nation... highly unlikely. Basically, the news media will hype the situation, it will feel like the Cold War all over again and the major power will talk over and over again just to come up with some punishment. Pre-emptive strikes against North Korea will lead to an invasion by North Korea, which will lead to their defeat. Public opinion already shows that Americans believe North Korea poses a greater threat than Iran, or Syria, this may push it... I just don't know what the Bush Administration will do.

join