It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue honoring Bush seems to imply Bush will be President indefinitely

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Perhaps it was a means to try and get Clinton back in the White House.

Heaven forbid!!

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don't see the problem, if he is somehow appealing the 22nd Amendment then yes, we may have an upcoming or current problem. Otherwise, I don't see the big deal, this has been happening with Presidents for the last ten to twenty years.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by usaforever
I don't see the problem,

You don't see the problem?
Oh boy, unfortuantely that is the attitude of the American public. Let's all just go with the flow; let's all pretend there is nothing wrong.

Well, for one, unlimited terms leads to a dictatorship. One of the reasons for limiting terms was to prevent a dictatorship here in the states.

Secondly, why should anyone be granted more than two terms? Have we had a President in the last forty years that was good enough to be granted more than two terms?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Unlimited terms didn't lead to dicatatorship for the generations prior to this ammendment.
The term limits ammendment was made because republicans were upset at FDR having served 4 terms, and didn't want to see another democrat serve that long. No term limits doesn't mean that a person will be made a dictator. They have to be elected each and every time. FDR was wildly popular. Clinton would probably have won the 2000 election, had he been able to run.

Then again, maybe Regan would've served for another term or two had there been no limit. It works both ways.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This thing happens around election time every few years. That's why I need more proof, other than political speculation. That's all, please. If he does try to serve longer than two terms the American public is already starting to get irrate with this adminstration, and in three weeks it's election time here in the states. So it's just more publicity for the Republicans, the president has had his bust made since the late 1890's in there, so it's nothing to worry about. I might be a little wrong about the history.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Nygdan,historically you are correct about the term limits not being established until FDR's presidency,which, at least in my opinion, was about the closest thing we had to a dictatorship before "W" came along.... However,I will desist on that point.

Anyway, to say that not having a term limit doesn't leave the doors wide open for the potentiality of creating a dictatorship is rather shortsighted in my view,Nygdan. I mean, look at some of these other counties that do not have an election, or if they do, there are no term limits enforced upon it. The majority of those nations are dictatorships, are they not?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
very premature.
good idea to start a post with, but i would do the same thing with a statue i made.
i'd rather add than delete and look stupid because i never really knew when he was going to die(natural causes or assasination) or get impeached or die during his communist reign(which cannot be forever, so why did you even say/ask Bush will be president forever when no one is immortal).

whether he is going to be president for after 2009 or not, you just can't put a date up there because the man will die sometime.

good post, and necessary... the 2001- *blank* was set for more than one reason and i believe i stated them all in this post.

p.s.- i know nothing of marble, but i will go ahead and assume that deleting text engravings to add a new date(due to death or whatever) might cause minor/moderate imperfection to that portion of the statue.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by chibidai_rrr]

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Franklin D. Roosevelt served four terms, I believe and died in his fourth term.
americanhistory.about.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Pharoah,true, and in my opinion, FDR was the closest thing to a dictator we ever hand until George W.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join