It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

stupid moronic skeptics view

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It seems that a comon argument I get from skeptics including "scientists", is that theres no way we coulod be vistited by ETs because of "distance". Why is it that most humans are so arrogant and self centered. It seems many of are unable to fathom a reality where there are creatures that have superior technology and a superior understanding of the mechanics of the universe. To behave and think in this way, and without using a bit of creative imagination you are just another robot thinking inside of the box.....

I swiped this quote from some website.... how ignorant do yo have to be to not be able to imagine a possibilty of some sort of non-linear travel..perhaps warp, etc. Do we really want these "scientists" writing our science books, or teaching our children? Im infuriated with this type of thinking. To me this is how an animal or a monkey would think. In a very primitive manner.

"Have we been visited by extraterrestrial beings from elsewhere in the universe? First, I would like to eliminate the idea that we have been visited by beings located outside our own galaxy. Andromeda, the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way is 2 million light years distant. This means that if there were aliens in Andromeda, it would take them longer than 2 million years to come to earth.1 Another problem is why they would want to visit our galaxy. The Andromeda galaxy is considerably larger than our galaxy. If life were common in the universe, there should be many times more of it in Andromeda, than in our wimpy galaxy. Why would they even want to visit us? A third problem for potential aliens is detecting us. We have been sending radio waves for less than 100 years. It will be another 2 million years before those signals reach our closest neighboring galaxy. The light (and other electromagnetic signals) that they now see represent the way the earth looked 2 million years ago. Beings in other galaxies would have no way of knowing that advanced life forms existed in our galaxy."

LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mod edit - added 'ex' tags and a link.

[edit on 2-10-2006 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
How typical and lame.. -_- there are demensions you know. By the way scientists found out that atoms dissappear but they don't know where they go. Well... what does that tell you? hm?

niv

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I once saw an interview with Michio Kaku, a well-known physicist, who answered the argument simply. His argument is that due to the age of other stars, another civilization may be millions of years more advanced than ours. Given this fact, who are we to know or predict the science of the far future, like a cockroach arguing that the combustion engine is impossible (my analogy not Kaku's).

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Although I don't think the name calling is necessary, I will have to agree with most of what you say.

And guess what? I'm a Christian! I see your source is a Christian website that promotes Christian ideals. The problem I have with it is they are using scientists to prove there are no aliens visiting the earth yet they will refute those same scientists regarding our beginnings. It would appear to be a situation of using what helps me and disregarding what does not.

As a Christian I have my Bible beliefs but I also have no problem with the idea that God may have given life to other races on other worlds. Those races may have the technology to travel here and to say it's not possible is a bit short minded.

That site has some good content but to make such statements only serves to show narrow minded views.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What a narrow-minded view of skeptics and experts, Beyonddeath.

Skeptics are as varried as any other people. Some will choose to not agree with something not because of facts, but because they won't admit to being wrong. There are a lot of us skeptics, though, that understand that we know very little about our universe. We'll test and argue and test again - but we will accept the truth only as it is, not how we'd like it to be.

A true skeptic does not believe a video or photograph to be a UFO at the instant we lay eyes on it - but nor do we instantly brush it off as a fake, hoax, or poor lighting. We'll test for every concievable answer, incudling that the photo is a real UFO.

It is the ATS Skeptic's dream to find a photo or video that CANNOT be a hoax, that CANNOT be poor lighting, that CANNOT be explained by natural phenomena, and that CANNOT be explained by the government or strange-science. Since the discovery of alien life besides our own would be the most monumental and world-changing thing that ever happened to this planet, we must be all the more precise and challenging of any "proof" that comes forward.

Just because we don't have any proof that aliens haven't visited Earth doesn't mean to a true skeptic that they haven't in reality - it just means that if they have, we haven't found the proof yet.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have heard the same uninspired tripe forever. So called experts keep saying stuff like "because of the vast distances in the galaxy, by what we know, travel is impossible." Simply because WE know of no way of doing something doesn't mean someone else can't do it!

Every generation of humanity has been the same though. Full of itself, swaggering around touting how they are the coolest thing to ever exist....until the next generation eclipses them with more knowledge.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beyonddeath
It seems that a comon argument I get from skeptics including "scientists", is that theres no way we coulod be vistited by ETs because of "distance". Why is it that most humans are so arrogant and self centered. It seems many of are unable to fathom a reality where there are creatures that have superior technology and a superior understanding of the mechanics of the universe. To behave and think in this way, and without using a bit of creative imagination you are just another robot thinking inside of the box.....

I swiped this quote from some website.... how ignorant do yo have to be to not be able to imagine a possibilty of some sort of non-linear travel..perhaps warp, etc. Do we really want these "scientists" writing our science books, or teaching our children? Im infuriated with this type of thinking. To me this is how an animal or a monkey would think. In a very primitive manner.

And your statement isn't arrogant? To say how most humans are arrogant and that we are thinking like monkeys sounds AWFULLY arrogant to me. Just because someone may not agree with your theories doesn't give you an excuse to ridicule them. Now I'm not saying I don't agree with you. There may be aliens visiting or there may not be. There is no actual proof so to say that you are right and everybody else is wrong is just...well....wrong

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cruizer
I have heard the same uninspired tripe forever. So called experts keep saying stuff like "because of the vast distances in the galaxy, by what we know, travel is impossible." Simply because WE know of no way of doing something doesn't mean someone else can't do it!

Every generation of humanity has been the same though. Full of itself, swaggering around touting how they are the coolest thing to ever exist....until the next generation eclipses them with more knowledge.

My question for you is.... why is it you and I and some others are aware of this fault in mankind...are we not a part of this so-called mankind? Why are we not a majority? This makes me believe only a handful of humanity trully possess any kind of intelligence.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Although I don't think the name calling is necessary, I will have to agree with most of what you say.

And guess what? I'm a Christian! I see your source is a Christian website that promotes Christian ideals. The problem I have with it is they are using scientists to prove there are no aliens visiting the earth yet they will refute those same scientists regarding our beginnings. It would appear to be a situation of using what helps me and disregarding what does not.

As a Christian I have my Bible beliefs but I also have no problem with the idea that God may have given life to other races on other worlds. Those races may have the technology to travel here and to say it's not possible is a bit short minded.

That site has some good content but to make such statements only serves to show narrow minded views.

Im sorry if you took offense, it was not directed at any individual...christian or not. It was directed at a way of thinking that I feel is degrading the quality of life. YES LIFE! How many times have we learned in history.. that the "madmen" the "looneys" the "dummys" were in fact some of the most brilliant minds on the planet..and do you know why? Becuse it took a vivid imagination to build something that can fly... or to come to the conclusion that the earth is round.. or to realize that WE revolve around the sun.... and that we are not the center of the universe. WHEN IS THE PUBLIC GOING TO LEARN FROM THIS. How many times does history have to repeat itself!?

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
And your statement isn't arrogant? To say how most humans are arrogant and that we are thinking like monkeys sounds AWFULLY arrogant to me. Just because someone may not agree with your theories doesn't give you an excuse to ridicule them. Now I'm not saying I don't agree with you. There may be aliens visiting or there may not be. There is no actual proof so to say that you are right and everybody else is wrong is just...well....wrong

gimme a break, it seems like you just want to argue with someone...go back and read my post please.... Its about being openminded I dont think theres anything arrogant about that.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Mod Edit - trimmed quote

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You are right on with me. In my humble opinion, thats a healthy way of thinking. ive had odd experiences, dont get me wrong, but I dont jump to "otherworldy" conclusions first. However I do lean more towards ET visiting the earth and at very least believe its possible. The skeptics Im refering to are the ones that arent willing to accept that there is a possibilty of something beyond our comprehension in our current state.

Originally posted by Yarium
What a narrow-minded view of skeptics and experts, Beyonddeath.

Skeptics are as varried as any other people. Some will choose to not agree with something not because of facts, but because they won't admit to being wrong. There are a lot of us skeptics, though, that understand that we know very little about our universe. We'll test and argue and test again - but we will accept the truth only as it is, not how we'd like it to be.

A true skeptic does not believe a video or photograph to be a UFO at the instant we lay eyes on it - but nor do we instantly brush it off as a fake, hoax, or poor lighting. We'll test for every concievable answer, incudling that the photo is a real UFO.

It is the ATS Skeptic's dream to find a photo or video that CANNOT be a hoax, that CANNOT be poor lighting, that CANNOT be explained by natural phenomena, and that CANNOT be explained by the government or strange-science. Since the discovery of alien life besides our own would be the most monumental and world-changing thing that ever happened to this planet, we must be all the more precise and challenging of any "proof" that comes forward.

Just because we don't have any proof that aliens haven't visited Earth doesn't mean to a true skeptic that they haven't in reality - it just means that if they have, we haven't found the proof yet.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RavenWindfree
How typical and lame.. -_- there are demensions you know. By the way scientists found out that atoms dissappear but they don't know where they go. Well... what does that tell you? hm?

Any proof for that? I mean have you read this in a physics magazine? And what about E=mc²? Did you know that also particle / antiparticle pairs apear from nothing? (for instance look for the Casimir effect)?

About the OP

(bold mine)
Science has to do with scientific facts not with imagination. If you ask a scientist something about what science has to say he has to answer to that...ie inside the box. If science will discover some day that there are other means of travel, then the scientist will tell you that yes, ETs can be here. But our science, right know, CAN'T tell you that! Don't blame the scientiest if you ask him to asnwer your question in scientific terms! This is the present day science! If you ask him what he believes and NOT what science has to say you will notice that some of them also believe that there is a possibility that ETs are here!

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apass

Originally posted by RavenWindfree

Any proof for that? I mean have you read this in a physics magazine? And what about E=mc²? Did you know that also particle / antiparticle pairs apear from nothing? (for instance look for the Casimir effect)?

About the OP

(bold mine)
Science has to do with scientific facts not with imagination. If you ask a scientist something about what science has to say he has to answer to that...ie inside the box. If science will discover some day that there are other means of travel, then the scientist will tell you that yes, ETs can be here. But our science, right know, CAN'T tell you that! Don't blame the scientiest if you ask him to asnwer your question in scientific terms! This is the present day science! If you ask him what he believes and NOT what science has to say you will notice that some of them also believe that there is a possibility that ETs are here!

Brilliant answer! Thanks for correcting me! I see the light now. Ill get back in the box where I belong.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'd like to say you beyonddeath, yourself our arrogant, but as
I'm not allowed to, I wont.

Being a skeptic does'nt equal being a scientist, tre there are sceintists
who are skeptics, but there are alot of scientitst wh are'nt quite so skeptical.

I mean if all scientists though FTL or the equivalent therefo was impo-
ssible, we would'nt have people like Alcubierre, or Michio Kaku.

Do we really want these "scientists" writing our science books, or teaching our children?

Yes, I do want scientits writing our science books.
I'd much rather read something a scientist has to say about science than
what some overly paranoid (in the bad way) person who believes in
things like Nordics and Reptllians has to say about science.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If you ask me anyone who believes we are being visited by aliens has the stupid moronic view its as bad as a religion now every bird that flys past is a UFO to some of you. The distances involved are not doable I don't care how old or clever you think Aliens are they still have to obey the laws of physics.

It's all very well to make up stupid terms like warp drive but their not real they are fiction just like Aliens.There are no stargates and there are no wormholes it's all sci fi claptrap sure theres theoretical work done on the possibilities but the energy requirements make it impossible without extinguishing several large stars anytime you wanted to do it.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if there was really aliens and they came here what would you do then run out and start chasing bigfoot start claiming the government is hiding fairys from you.

My view on the subject is quite simple there is no evidence, the distances are beyond imagination, Light speed is unbreakable it would take infinite energy, that's more energy than is in the Universe for a start.

The Science and the Evidence says you are wrong.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is something that I was told:

Humans use little of there brain they do not know how to use it, but they do have intelligence and this makes for a good study.

I was also told this:

You try to hard through Science to prove things, you must use logic and common sense, the answers are the simplest, the ones you always overlook.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beyonddeath
I see the light now. Ill get back in the box where I belong.

Sorry????
Did I say that? Get back in the box?
No. All I said was that if you ask a scientist to talk in scientif term why ETs aren't here he will answer in scienific terms! If you preffer to kill the messenger not the source of the message...then, OK. Do that. But don't call others morons and monkeys!

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Beyonddeath,

Obviously you didn't read my post before you responded to it. Although I did not agree with the way you conveyed it, I did agree with allot of what you said.

However, after really giving that site the once over I can definitely say I agree with 99% of what they are there for. I just don't agree with their views on the existence of visitors to our planet. That's not to say that I 100% believe we have visitors but I do have an open mind about it.

As they said on one page of that site, you can't see magnetism but it is there. Who is to say there are not worm holes or hyper drive, etc...? Most scientists accept the existence of black holes so I wouldn't just discount something purely because I've never seen it.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
You can either play into the hands of the skeptics by saying what you said.. Or remain steadfast in knowing that they are within a system that controls most of us!
Like many posters up there said, their are people who go aginst the dogmatic veiw of those who dont belive ET has come here ever...
It really comes down to this.. Are you playing the game or are you not?
To play the game within the system is to belive what your told, and dont question that..
Or you can play along, make them belive you belive them, and go on your own way after you finish school... Much like what I did... I just played along, read my books, did my homework, and got out of school, and got a nice job..
But still the whole time I knew half of what I was learning was totall BS! Still I didnt call people names becasue they where wrong in my eyes.. Its a personal level.. And when you make title posts like this, it doesnt help anyone really..
But I see your point and why it makes you so angry, that these guys are the people who write our text books and we have to buy into it.. Well all you really have to do is skim over it, and take what you need.. Then find the rest of the answers in personal research and search your heart aswell..
These people are needed, they bring yet another side to the table, without skeptics I would agree that we would lose our grounding... So both sides are onto something, I just think we keep eachother balanced! So its a good thing to disagree sometimes!

[edit on 2-10-2006 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Curse those damn skeptics and their fancy degrees from the top universities in the country.

Curse their damn opposite viewpoint around a hazy grey area of supposition and rumour.

Curse their...aw sod it, Yarium said it much more eloquently and succinctly than I ever could.

[quote="Yarium"]What a narrow-minded view of skeptics and experts, Beyonddeath.

[edit on 2-10-2006 by RubberJohnny]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join