It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vindication For Armstrong: He Did Say " one small step for a man"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The latest and most comprehensive computer aided analysis of the first words spoken by a human being while standing on the moon. Neil Armstrong's iconic " one small step for a man , one giant leap for mankind ". Has according to Australian computer expert Peter Shann Ford , vindicated Armstrong.
In the glare of media attention after the fact , even Arstrong could not categorically state whether he did actually utter the vital "A" or miss it , as casual listeners assumed he had .

www.guardian.co.uk
HOUSTON (AP) - That's one small word for astronaut Neil Armstrong, one giant revision for grammar sticklers everywhere.
An Australian computer programmer says he found the missing ``a'' from Armstrong's famous first words from the moon in 1969, when the world heard the phrase, ``That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can predict that someone will dispute the methodology of this latest research , but does it really matter if it was said or not . Armstrong was making history , not giving a formal speech in a competition , where every nuance is scored .
In the heat of the moment prepared lines are forgotten entirely , or substituted for other phrases of varying inappropriateness . President Reagan once famously addresses Diana as “ princess David “
I was lucky enough to see the first transmission of Armstrong’s landing , and was so excited , and young that I did not even notice the “ mistake “ , and still make far worse gaffes on a daily basis .
This will please some , and be seen as a whitewash by others . C`est la vie .

[edit on 2-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I always was taught at school it was a communications glitch that left out the "a", but no matter what I don't care. If I was the first man stepping foot on the moon, I'd be hard-pressed to remember a line exactly. I think he did a good job no matter what the real story about this is.

join