It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new addition to the royal navy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

bbc
A series of futuristic-looking, remote-controlled water vehicles could be added to the Royal Navy's arsenal.
The Ministry of Defence has commissioned a £200,000 study of a group of drones.

These include a robot patrol dinghy and a small aerial drone, similar to a seaplane, which is designed to take off and land on water.

The machines will be subjected to testing at sea by naval experts over the next three years.

One of the vessels being considered is a carbon fibre mini-submarine capable of being programmed by satellite and used to conduct covert surveillance.

Another vehicle is almost completely submerged, with a single spar protruding vertically above water which carries radio and positioning equipment.

One larger boat is capable of carrying machine guns and missiles, as well as cameras and radar systems, and is designed to investigate suspicious craft or objects as the operator remains at a safe distance.

looks kind of cool since some can operate under water and so on

[edit on 1-10-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The royal navy also openly has Satan onboard now
I guess they are trying to be politically correct, and not discriminate

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
the royal navy has been testing quite a few uav systems over the past couple of years. This is no different.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
the royal navy has been testing quite a few uav systems over the past couple of years. This is no different.
Well it's different in the sense that it's a seaplane. I've been keeping half an eye on this UAV company for a while - if you google them you can find a website where they have video clips of the UAVs flying. GBP200k is peanuts but all the same it's great to see a small company with a great idea and expertise be taken seriously by the UK armed forces; good luck to them

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Congrats, Twits, on spending so much money that could be better spent. What's going to be the use of this plane? The same as that of the Eurofighter (i.e. prestige plane)?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrioticAmerican
Congrats, Twits, on spending so much money that could be better spent. What's going to be the use of this plane? The same as that of the Eurofighter (i.e. prestige plane)?
? Ok, so how is a small unmanned aircraft that can land and take off on water, be deployed by small vessels without helipads, potentially act as over-the-horizon sensing/targeting, land and use a dunking sonar, a relay platform etc at a fraction of the cost of a manned helicopter, a waste of money?

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
ah take no notice is only zibi from poland (again) as you can see hes been banned again now.

hes one strange kid, in his original username he had pictures of the harrier etc in his avatar saying how he was wanted to live in britain and stuff one day,

i wonder what his next name will be

new topics

top topics

join