It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NORAD: US F-15's Intercept Russian Bombers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Russian long-range bombers flew within 15 miles of U.S. airspace off Alaska, Denver Post website reported. Fully-armed U.S. fighter jets responded, intercepting the two bombers.

The Russian Tu-95 bombers on a training exercise Thursday penetrated a North American buffer zone, said a statement Friday from Maj. Gen. Brett Cairns, operations chief for Colorado Springs-based North American Aerospace Defense Command.

Looks like the Russians are testing their limits again.
Good to know NORAD never misses a thing.

NORAD Incercepts Bombers

[edit on 1-10-2006 by super70]

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Wow....I thought this kind of thing was over since the Cold War ended...

a few months ago they claimed to have penetrated the airspace over the artic and come close to american airspace. I gues 15 miles was just a little to close for comfort

Seriously, I thought the Russians and the US saw eye to eye now.....

I guess not...

I grew up thinking the russians were EX-enemies of the US....I hope that perception doesnt have to change soon.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by super70

Ur.

How can you say that?
If NORAD missed something, do you think it would be publisised? Even without active supression of unflattering information, if a Russian plane/ship/sub was to slip through their nets no one would know!

BTW, I have a friend who flys with an air survalance crew based out of CFB-Comox. He tells me things get missed all the friggen time. Also, according to him, this report is nothing new. Russian planes are constantly doing training missions that breach or broach the buffer zone.

[edit on 1-10-2006 by BitRaiser]

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I would guess it hasnt been an overiding concern to watch the nothern skies for Russian bombers anymore... most in the government probably view the Russians as the American public does:

They are a military power no doubt, but the cold war ended 15 years ago "red scare" just isnt neccesary anymore.

I suppose this perception might change if we start interfering with iranian plans to sell oil to russia.

who knows?

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Russian long-range bombers flew within 15 miles of U.S. airspace off Alaska, Denver Post website reported. Fully-armed U.S. fighter jets responded, intercepting the two bombers.

The Russian Tu-95 bombers on a training exercise Thursday penetrated a North American buffer zone, said a statement Friday from Maj. Gen. Brett Cairns, operations chief for Colorado Springs-based North American Aerospace Defense Command.

NORAD Incercepts Bombers

"Good to know NORAD never misses a thing"
Except for 9/11,in which apparently they missed everything.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Thankyou, for posting this article if it wasn't for you. People may not know about this. I believe this is very important and we should know about it. Anytime Norad incercepts bombers it should be on our news, but of course its not.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
[edit on 1-10-2006 by Shar]

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox

NORAD Incercepts Bombers

"Good to know NORAD never misses a thing"
Except for 9/11,in which apparently they missed everything.

i was about to say the same thing

good to know that some one note that (about NORAD stand down on 9/11)

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Any chance that Russia and America could be working together to test air defense and stuff like that?

I really don't fancy the idea of another cold war.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I would guess it hasnt been an overiding concern to watch the nothern skies for Russian bombers anymore... most in the government probably view the Russians as the American public does:

This never changed, the Great White North was, and still is, the most likely route of attack, as such, it is imperative that we watch it at all times. And the politicians probably feel that way but the military leaders are a bit smarter, they know better.

They are a military power no doubt, but the cold war ended 15 years ago "red scare" just isnt neccesary anymore.

IMO the Cold War just got colder, the situation and circumstance may have changed, for the Russians, but the same mentality, views and people are still there. They are not what they used to be but I can assure you once they regain part of their lost capabilities it will be the 1980's all over again.

Wow....I thought this kind of thing was over since the Cold War ended...

This happened all the time back in the day but it did not stop, it continued, albeit with less frequency then pre 91.

Originally posted by BitRaiser
BTW, I have a friend who flys with an air survalance crew based out of CFB-Comox. He tells me things get missed all the friggen time.

If they get missed how does he know about it? Besides what does "missed" mean? Not launching fighters to intercept the plane(s) or not observing them on radar, because I find the latter extremely hard to believe. Usually it could only happen through human error. We might not send up fighters to intercept one bomber who is not yet in US airspace but it does not mean we aren't tracking it. And coincidently the US and Canadians are doing exercises in the region too.

Just to add, since 9/11 all US fighters patrolling the area fly with live weapons onboard.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
LOL...just wait 5 years. The F-22s will be doing the intercepts instead. That would make me want to turn around immediately.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yes it's pretty simple. States won't report every time they see enemy planes penetrate their territories. If they would do that. The enemy would always know when they are being noticed when not. And that again gives the penetrating country an advantage becasue they know th e weakest points of the first countrys radar system.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It isn's the russian action that surprises me, its that it was reported...

Flights like this probably go on all the time, and we never know...
on both sides...

but letting this info out, seems to be an effort to "make fear"
and I think we all know what that is about...

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Sorry, but I don't consider this news. The Ruskies have been doing this since the Cold War in the early 1950s. It's not new and it's nothing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   

LOL...just wait 5 years. The F-22s will be doing the intercepts instead.

I agree with your point, but five years? Last I heard the Raptors would begin arriving in the summer of 07 with IOC in mid-late 08.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
It isn's the russian action that surprises me, its that it was reported...

Flights like this probably go on all the time, and we never know...
on both sides...

but letting this info out, seems to be an effort to "make fear"
and I think we all know what that is about...

Often there is a lot of pressure on the army from the press that "just happends to get to know stuff like that". But I still agree with you.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

LOL...just wait 5 years. The F-22s will be doing the intercepts instead.

I agree with your point, but five years? Last I heard the Raptors would begin arriving in the summer of 07 with IOC in mid-late 08.

You're probably right. I just figured that they'll have the AESA Eagles still handle the normal intercepts most of the time.

new topics

join