It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant Drug Addicts Aren't Child Abusers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Think about this: If there has not ever been a reliable study that showed even one baby to be deformed from MJ, then don't you think MJ is probably not harmful to fetuses? And yes, docs will advise not to use any drug, alcohol or cigarettes. But what they won't tell you, because they don't want to open themselves up to lawsuits, is that it's never harmed a fetus, not that they can substantiate. If they've been studying it this long and not been able to find anything dangerous to a fetus, don't you think they probably won't find anything injurious? Now, myself, I wouldn't smoke it while pregnant, but I don't think it constitutes child abuse, at least not as much as cigarette smoking does, but you don't see anyone going after smoking mothers-to-be do you?

There have been many studies that show a definitive link between drugs and developmental problems in fetus's. Yes, if you summarily dismiss a government funded study it becomes easier to support your argument. Most government funded studies are not administered by a government agency ... rather they are a grant to a non-profit who submits proposals for different programs.

As far as the marijuana issue goes ... just because it doesn't cause deformity doesn't mean it hasn't caused some damages to the brain which would come up in developmental issues later. I tried looking up studies and you're right there hard to come by with show definitive damage linked to marijuana. However, I would be concerned that unless your growing your own crop you can't control the production or if it is laced with other chemicals such as PCP.

I remember when my wife was pregnant she wouldn't even drink caffiene since it is a drug. She wouldn't take any pain killers for back pain and when her allergies acted up (she has a long history of sinus issues) she wouldn't take any medicine for that. I find it amazing that some mothers think it would be acceptable to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or marijuana and maybe take a few hits of crack coc aine. Why bother getting pregnant if one can't be bothered to be inconvenienced to provide a healthy environment for development?

Do you actually believe that there is no danger from alcohol or cigarettes? Alcohol is probably the worst drug one could be taking during pregnancy. Much reported developmental problems ... including irreparable brain damage, retardation, some facial characteristics and many developmental problems.

FAS facts from the National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome ... not affiliated with the government

[url=http://www.nofas.org/MediaFiles/PDFs/factsheets/everyone.pdf]FAS FactSheet -- PDF FORMAT]

There were some other posts on here about pregnant women shouldn't be in prison. The problem is we don't know why the lady in the articles is in prison in the first place. Unfortunately if someone commits a crime, especially violent crimes, including a pregnant woman then they need to be incarcerated. There shouldn't be a get of jail free card for women.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
There were some other posts on here about pregnant women shouldn't be in prison. The problem is we don't know why the lady in the articles is in prison in the first place. Unfortunately if someone commits a crime, especially violent crimes, including a pregnant woman then they need to be incarcerated. There shouldn't be a get of jail free card for women.

I think everyone is referring to pregnant addicts being charged with child abuse or endangerment due to their drug use and being held in jail. At least that is what the article that the thread is about.

True criminals should not get out of jail because they are pregnant, but from what I have read and heard, our jail systems need some major health care changes in order to meet some of the medical needs of inmates.

Don't know why the woman in the article was in jail, but the way she was treated is despicable. If that is the way the health care system works (or should I say doesn't work) in jails, then pregnant women about to give birth should definitely NOT be in jail when their due date gets close.

[edit on 2/10/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Studies in children born to mothers who used marijuana have shown increased behavioral problems during infancy and preschool years. In school, these children are more likely to have problems with decisionmaking, memory, and the ability to remain attentive(2).
www.nida.nih.gov...

Semper

How much of this is due to the school systems pushing for state aid moneys for ADHD children?
And what are the studies comparing ADHD children of mothers who did not use any kind of drug while pregnant (even legal ones) with those children who display these behaviours and they mothers did inhale?

The Pennsylvania, or at least in my area, drug testing of the mother is illegal during prenatal exams, as far as I know, however doctors are allowed to test the child for drugs at birth without permission from the mother.
Should the child be positive for illegal drugs, social services is imformed, the child is taken from the mother, and legal proceedings commence, the formost charges are child abuse and child endangerment.
I do not see how using drugs while pregnant, especially later term is any different than the mother that allowed her child to smoke marajuana from a water pipe.
Perhaps jailing is an option to keep these children who did not ask to be born, safe from the excesses of their mothers. I don;t know.
But this is not a one solution fits all problem, there are socio-econimic issues, racial overtones, and cultural differences that also must be dealt with. Jailing is a short termoption that don't benefit society as a whole long term. But in the short term, it may help those children that would have otherwise been born into a bad situation made worse by mothers who care for little more than their next high.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Smallminds, how do you figure I don't think alcohol is dangerous to a fetus? Please read (or reread) my post from page one where I said that the 2 most dangerous drugs to a fetus are:

alcohol
cigarettes

I worked in the field of alcohol/drug addiction a total of 15 years and worked directly with pregnant clients trying not to drink/drug. I saw what it did to these children when they were born of mothers who had used.. Hell, I taught the facts about FAS to my clients. Ya really think I'm not against pregnant women drinking??

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Smallminds, how do you figure I don't think alcohol is dangerous to a fetus? Please read (or reread) my post from page one where I said that the 2 most dangerous drugs to a fetus are:

alcohol
cigarettes

I worked in the field of alcohol/drug addiction a total of 15 years and worked directly with pregnant clients trying not to drink/drug. I saw what it did to these children when they were born of mothers who had used.. Hell, I taught the facts about FAS to my clients. Ya really think I'm not against pregnant women drinking??

I was responding to a specific sentence ... it was in the paragraph I quoted in my response.

And yes, docs will advise not to use any drug, alcohol or cigarettes. But what they won't tell you, because they don't want to open themselves up to lawsuits, is that it's never harmed a fetus, not that they can substantiate. If they've been studying it this long and not been able to find anything dangerous to a fetus, don't you think they probably won't find anything injurious?

Hence my reference to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, a well documented, studied effect of alcohol on a fetus and its development.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Smallminds (and others), my deepest apologies. I should have proofread what I wrote. I did not mean to state that alcohol and drugs were not dangerous. THey ARE the 2 most dangerous drugs to a fetus. What I was trying to say is that no studies have shown to have ever harmed a fetus.marijuana

Yes, definitely alcohol and cigarettes are the 2 worst drugs for a fetus, as I stated elsewhere earlier. Thanks for catching my error Smallminds. I really don't want to confuse the issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join