It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good news for the A380

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It took a while but the verdict is now in, the so-called 'A380 vortex issue' isn't an issue at all.

Following three years of exhaustive studies, the Airbus A380 Wake Vortex Steering Group has rendered its conclusions and is now in a position to recommend more specific guidance, based on a unique and very extensive flight test programme. The Steering Group comprised representatives from the Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA), Eurocontrol, US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and Airbus.

The study has demonstrated that en route the A380 is very similar to the Boeing 747. In cruise and when flying in a “holding pattern”, the A380 is considered to be identical to any other aircraft, both for vertical and horizontal spacing between it and any following aircraft.

A380 wake vortex study completed

- Given the "unprecedented" nature of the work Airbus and those involved have not only established the reputation of the A380 in this regard but have also done outstanding and very valuable work in understanding this phenomenon better than ever before.
This will benefit the entire aviation community in the years ahead.

The detailed scientific work was conducted by a subgroup consisting of the majority of the leading international experts in this complex field.

It was supported by an unprecedented programme of flight tests with innovative aspects such as back to back comparative testing of different aircraft, cruise wake encounter tests, and ground and airborne LIDAR wake measurements, totalling over 180 hours flight time.

(same link)

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Good stuff sminkey
er, where is everyone?

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yes Waynos, where is everyone indeed.

Speculative media reports can draw all sorts of comment (provided they 'go' a particular way) but the serious business gets completely ignored (because people are only really interested in it if it can be dressed up in a partisan way?).

You might have thought there might have been at least a little interest and appreciation of the research and added safety this international co-operative study has brought everyone in the whole world-wide industry.

It actually isn't even as though it's just an Airbus or A380 'thing'; the knowledge of the entire aviation community on this issue has been expanded greatly and it will benefit us all eventually.

Sadly it appears certain people really are 'into' this as in some sort of 'aerospace football' support.

No doubt if the results had gone the other way 'we'd' not have heard the end of it.......probably until some time in the next decade!

It's all a bit silly & sad really, IMO.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
A mate of mine was involved with flap deployment research in munich in partnership with Airbus. It was his final year dissertation. But I think he was using the A340 as a test mule... emphasis on think.

IIRC it did produce some very interesting results, with approx 30% reduction in wake drag intensities just by varying the flap deployment from wing root to tip.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   

On approach, the spacing for the following aircraft is increased compared with the existing separation rules for aircraft currently in service, by two nm for another “heavy”, by three nm for a “medium” sized aircraft, and by four nm for a “light” aircraft. However, because there are no constraints for the A380 following another aircraft, the A380 can land as close as practicable to the preceding aircraft. This can compensate for the additional spacing required for the following one.

From your source above:

While 2 nm may not sound like a big deal it does have the potential to cause some problems at busy airports by slowing down landing aircraft. Not an issue at times, bt places like SFO where weather can cause a shutdown of parralel runway operations thus shunting all trafic to one. In cruise im not surprised that its no different than the 747 but the landing issue was always going to be the issue when slats and flaps are deployed. In crusie its unlikely any aircraft would (or should) get close enuf to any other a/c for its turbulence to matter at anyrate for safteys sake.

I pay close attention to this kind of stuff as our flightpath often takes us in or around SFO and San Jose Int. when doing transports. The 757 is a notorius bad vortex generator and we give them wide berth even when well below on on approach

[edit on 10/1/06 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This weeks AWST does talk about the increased separation issue on landing and how it has the potiental have a negative impact on airport operations

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I would think that ATC would err on the side of safety rather than look for a high traffic rate when dealing with this beast initially, in spite of whatever study you throw in front of them.
But I admit to being a troll on the subject.
If I were the Sultan of Brunai I'd probably want one, as a regular air passenger I'd hate flying on it.

new topics

top topics

join