It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria threat: Israel put on war alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   

For years Israeli military intelligence has down-played Syria's capacity to launch a meaningful attack against Israel, and the threat level has been kept "low".

But Israeli reports have revealed that the threat level had been raised after intelligence assessments that Damascus is "seriously examining" military action.

"Assad wants to use threats as leverage to build on Israel's failures in Lebanon," said Mr Brom. "But any sane observer understands that Syrian military forces cannot match Israel, mostly due to our air superiority."

Wow! Can they be that stupid? I would think this must be some political move to save Assad's arse. What a thought though huh? What if Iran is behind this?

LINK

[edit on 30-9-2006 by edsinger]

[edit on 30-9-2006 by edsinger]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Syria I think has completely misread the results of Israels recent incursion into Lebanon. Israel underestimated their enemies badly...that won't happen again. If Syria wants the Golan Heights back, the blood price may be more than they want to pay. Israel is ready for it...

I don't think Syria wants to go there...bad idea to go to war over a strip of land that modern weapons technology will soon make irrelevant. My humble opinion.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Also interesting, especially when yesterday, several cable news outlets were reporting that Assad/Syria was making peace talk overtures to Israel.

Syria has long been a 'highway' of death into Israel.
Assad had better think twice before screwing with the IDF, especially after the political and military fallout that has been resonating within Israel over the IDF's and Olmert's lack of consistency and determination in seriously crippling Hezbollah when they had the chance.

I do not think that the IDF will make that same mistake again, hence, Assad better be seriously packing if he thinks he can play with the Israelis. Then again, the way Olmert handled Hezbollah, Assad had better hit Israel before Olmert is removed. Olmert is nothing but an American version of Jimmy Carter...

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I highly doubt Syria will attack Israel for Golan Heights. It will be a mistake to underestimate Israel after Israel's performance during the war over the summer. Israel will be much smarter about retaliation... the problem with that is what will Iran do if Israel attacks Syria.

Again, I highly doubt this will happen.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I doubt it also, Assad is not stupid......

But he sure is doing some stupid things......

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I doubt it also, Assad is not stupid......

But he sure is doing some stupid things......

What? Like offering peace to Israel? Like he did 6 years ago which Israel walked away from?

Seems this time round, Israel are prepared to walk away again... Makes you wonder if they want peace at all.

I like the way you are all slapping each other on the back about Syria wanting war and how they'd be kicked. Same old war pervs at it again. Syria is willing to live up to Un resolutions if Israel does, but they're the ones sticking their heels in.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I found this interesting editorial on the subject the other day. I'm not sure what is going on, because the only thing I learned during the Israel - Lebanon war is that few sources can be trusted for reliable information, but I tend to agree something is happening.

I'm not convinced that 'something' is war, but I'm not convinced intentions are peaceful either.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
I found this interesting editorial on the subject the other day. I'm not sure what is going on, because the only thing I learned during the Israel - Lebanon war is that few sources can be trusted for reliable information, but I tend to agree something is happening.

I'm not convinced that 'something' is war, but I'm not convinced intentions are peaceful either.

I like the way she words the problem about the Golan Heights. "Give" them to Syria? How about return? They're not Israels to "give"..

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
"War Perv"? Because we look back upon the last, oh I don't know, half century or so, and see the same things happening time after time, after time? If, and I do say if, Syria wants the Golan Heights back, they are going to have to pay a bloody price for them. Israel isn't going to just "give" them back, the Heights are theirs by right of conquest...not right maybe, but fact nevertheless. Maybe Syria should have thought it through a little more carefully before attacking Israel, and losing the Golan Heights in the process.

What I and others here have said is only true, the Syrians really don't want to test the IDF, especially while they are still smarting over the Lebanon debacle. Israel is ready, and wouldn't underestimate Syria. Just my humble "warperv" opinion.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well, let's see who does the provocating in this theatre:

Syria fires on Israeli jets

Air defences fired on Israeli warplanes that entered Syrian airspace early today and forced them to flee, according to state-run Syrian TV, as tensions escalated over the kidnapping of an Israeli soldier by Palestinian militants.

Israel said its planes buzzed the summer residence of Syrian President Bashar Assad in the Mediterranean coastal city of Latakia, flying low enough to cause a noise on the ground.

Geee, I wonder what would happen if Syrian jets passed the home of mister Olmerto.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Just out of curiousity. What constitutes "low altitude"? "Low enough to cause noise on the ground." Sounds to me like they weren't all that low.

top topics

join