It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NORAD scrambles Jets to intercept Russian Bombers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This topic isn't really Middle East related but it is War related! According to CTV Newsnet television station in Canada, Norad jets have been scrambled to intercept Russian Bombers! However when one links to the website and investigates further one finds that this happened Sep 28, 2006 and are just reporting it as if it is happening now!

www.ctv.ca
NORAD launched Canadian and American fighter jets to intercept two Russian bombers near U.S. airspace, officials said Friday.

Russian military officials had warned the United States the bombers would be conducting an exercise in the region. But as the planes crossed a 20-kilometre buffer zone around U.S. airspace, the NORAD planes moved in.

At about 6 p.m. ET Thursday, NORAD scrambled three pairs of fighter jets -- including two CF-18 jets from Cold Lake, Alta.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So why are the Russian Military still practicing Bombing Exercises within meters of Canadian & American airspace? I thought the cold war ended! Isn't the world suppossed to love Canadians? NOT!
They scrambled jets for military exercises during 911 as well.
Georgia is invoking Russia's wrath as well according to "What does it mean?" gossip site.

Is this a Psyop scare tactic?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
To remind us Yanks to remember that even though the Cold War is over, Russia is still a power to be reckoned with. In Putin's view.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This sort of thing isn't new. Basically the Russians do this partially to test our responses, partially to piss us off, and as said before; to remind us that they're not out of the game just yet.

And to be honest I don't mind it too much since it although it is kind of aggitating having to spend money to intercept them it is good practice for our men and women in the air force. I'd rather have them go play this game with the Russians now knowing that the Russians won't actually hurt us than learn the hard way when a real enemy decides to try similar stunts. So in the end I think that we're all winning since it's valuble expirience for both sides, but at the same time we're two of the least likely powers to go to war with eachother.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yeah, I have to agree with the above posters...they just want us to know their still there and piss us off a bit. The only problem is if some accident happened, a real war could be started.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just a thought here, but could these Russian military power-play tactics be linked to this story that appeared in The Times earlier this week? Russia in threat to turn off gas to US giants
Could be that Putin is making a show-of-strength to assert ownership of the gas-fields and other energy assets that lie off the Sakhalin region of the Barents Sea and up to the US/Russian demarcation line?

new topics

top topics

join