It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GORE: Cigarrette Smoking 'SIGNIFICANT' Ccontributor To GLOBAL WARMING

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Sorry- i dont beleive it!!!

Now, this is grasping as straws!!! This is BS. This just hit me the wrong way.
Its one thing to make these claims because of other sources emitting fumes, but smoking?????
I personally, would need studies on this one from very reliable sources. I think Gore has blown a gasket himself.

Here is the story:

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore warned hundreds of U.N. diplomats and staff on Thursday evening about the perils of climate change, claiming: Cigarette smoking is a "significant contributor to global warming!"

Gore, who was introduced by Secretary-General Kofi Annan, said the world faces a "full-scale climate emergency that threatens the future of civilization on earth."

Gore showed computer-generated projections of ocean water rushing in to submerge the San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, parts of China, India and other nations, should ice shelves in Antarctica or Greenland melt and slip into the sea.

"The planet itself will do nicely, thank you very much what is at risk is human civilization," Gore said. After a series of Q& A with the audience, which had little to do with global warming and more about his political future, Annan bid "adios" to Gore.

Then, Gore had his staff opened a stack of cardboard boxes to begin selling his new book, "An Inconvenient Truth, The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It," $19.95, to the U.N. diplomats.

Developing...

www.drudgereport.com...

I'm a smoker and i beg to differ with him- at least until the facts are in and they're reliable. Who agrees???

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Smokers and non smokers alike...

What do you think? I think Al has overstepped his boundaries and is more or less just trying to sell a book.

If it were alcohol bringing on the global warming- would it be brought up??

Al, Get a life.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The only thing I can say about this is, "Al Gore is a signifigant cause of Global Warming.". All of the hot air he is spouting has to have a signifigant impact on it.

I still havent been convinced that "Global Warming" is anything other than a normal environmental cycle.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I like Al "The Pal" Gore. But can you imagine the frustration that individual must have pent up inside? He appears to be adding his own carbon-dioxide to the problem pretty-efficiently without a "scrubber". Is the EPA monitoring he? Ciggies? What won't he do for media "bites". Doggie dancin-beggin' for a treat? Or leading the "New Crusade" du jour?

I'm thinkin'.... "cage match" Gore vs Dennis Leary, with Dennis Miller and Irshad Mangi as the under-card... "Inconvienent Truth"? - "Entertainment Truth"?

The worst part? Gore may be entirely "correct" - perhaps not "right" but "correct". I'm gonna go start every every gas and electric appliance I own - and have a ciggy - a Canadian ciggy - Player's Filter Regular - Puff, puff, ahhh, sip of coffee.
All is well... something.

Victor K.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
To my Democrat friends- Notice i give equal time to the Democratically insane*

This is insanity and i think good old Al is grasping as straws!!!

Show me where people smoking can conceivable cause global warming....I notice so far, there is nothing to back this up!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Ohhhh......wasn't he that guy that didn't get voted into office? The former bladdy blah blah?
Well then I guess we shouldn't drive, cook, make a fire in the fireplace, burn trash and so on and so forth either.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well I guess it's safe to drive my SUV, seeing that I'm not a smoker!
I have to say though, that even misinformation is okay with me if it gets more places to outlaw smoking in public. There's nothing worse than trying to enter a building and having to walk through a cloud of smoke, or walk behind someone puffing away, or drive behind someone holding their cigarette out the window so their car doesn't smell. I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours last night and was amazed at how many people threw their cigarette butts out the window-just disgusting. Maybe the smoking doesn't cause global warming but it is a significant part of the pollution problem. Just try to find a place on a public beach to sit, the beaches are full of cigarette butts. YUK!

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarpStrings
Ohhhh......wasn't he that guy that didn't get voted into office?

Actually he DID get voted into office. It was the Supreme Court that overturn that.

Also, to people that don't believe humans effect global warming I can't change your mind. Because if all the industry, burning of fossil fuels, over-population, and overall neglect on environment and its nessecities, then my words will do nothing.

Cigarettes? Who knows? Bold yes. Impossible no.

AAC

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Is he serial? I can't believe he's serial...

South Park jokes aside, he is having a laugh, right?

I am pretty confident, without even doing the maths, that the combined CO2 emissions from worldwide smoking are insignificant compared to any other source.

If someone wants to do the numbers thing, then feel free, I'm off for a smoke...

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanstheman
There's nothing worse than trying to enter a building and having to walk through a cloud of smoke, or walk behind someone puffing away, or drive behind someone holding their cigarette out the window so their car doesn't smell. I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours last night and was amazed at how many people threw their cigarette butts out the window-just disgusting. Maybe the smoking doesn't cause global warming but it is a significant part of the pollution problem. Just try to find a place on a public beach to sit, the beaches are full of cigarette butts. YUK!

Theres nothing worse than, as a non-driver, having to walk down my street breathing in car fumes. Cannot even go outside in my own garden without smelling the fumes. I was walking down the street yesterday and was amazed at the hundreds of cars sitting there in traffic, just burning up gallons upon gallons of toxic fuel, emitting their deadly gases everwhere. Just try finding anywhere you can go without having to choke on the fumes produced by millions of people who are too fat and lazy to walk a mile or two to get to the shops. YUK!

Hope I made a point there. It's all very well you sitting there preaching that smoking is so vile and disgusting that you absolutley must get it banned from everywhere you can, but in the same vein, you openly admit to pumping far more dangerous fumes into the atmosphere for us all to breath! At least you have a choice of where to go, I, as a non-driver, am compelled to breath your toxic rubbish every day of my life.

It has been scientifically proven that 10 minutes outside in any urban area is as bad as having a cigarrette.

Feeling better about yourself now?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
There's a discussion about this topic ongoing here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

FYI

For the record, I think it's probably accurate to say that smoking doesn't help global warming. It's a fair bit of burning material sent aloft every day. Still, in the grand scheme of things it matters very little. One volcano goes pop and that's equivalent to how many hundreds of billions of butts?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You have voted stumason for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Nice. Very nice.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
way to call out the ignorance stumason...

Id give you a WATS for that.. but Im all out...

Back to topic:

While there is pollution from cig smoke(goodness knows I smoke a pack a day down from 2 1/2) But come on...This seems to me like he is just pandfering for the anti smokers support. Global Warming IS a real issue but this is getting carried away.

How about all the methane that the combine cattle population of the world emmits on a daily basis? should we get rid of all the worlds cows?

There are much bigger fish to fry Mr. Gore... much bigger fish.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I am a smoker also and laugh at this one....

Ok the sheep farts in New Zealand are a major contributor also, remember that one? Next, these environazi's will try and ban Mexican food to control methane levels. Will it ever stop?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I think Gore has blown a gasket himself.

He He I am with you he seems to be turning greener everyday.

If it were me, I would give him a choice one of two locations to send daily reports from on the current conditions of either the hole in the Ozone in the arctic or in the antarctic where he can send daily reports on the thickness of the ice

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Come on, we all know that the UN is lying about global warming for financial gain
FFS! Yeah I'm a smoker and I wouldn't of thought smoking would be a "significant" contributor to global warming,but I'm sure it doesn't help either. The only 'scientists' who disagree with human influenced global warming are sponsored by evangelical 'end timers' in the admin and gas companys $_$ to spit pseudo-science IMO. It seems alot of people will choose to believe what is comfortable to them. RAAA!

[edit on 30-9-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

As I've said in the other thread, WHERE ARE THE SOURCES FOR THIS CLAIMED STATEMENT?

I'm surprised that so many of you jumped off that ledge without asking that question.

Do a search and tell me what you find.

:shk:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hmmm. Good point. Found "a" reference at FSU - they say something... "Smoking worldwide releases about 2.6 billion kilograms of carbon dioxide in the air every year" Ok... whatever - "ante-up" with the math and citations... none (I may be corrected without offense being-taken).

The "Green Man" Al could do more by helping to revive "Smokey" - Remember only you can prevent forest fires... and while Brazil burns...

Victor K.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Personally, the only thing I have ever liked about Al Gore was his beard. He looked really good with it and I think it actually changed his personality for the better. Unfortunately, he got rid of it.

This site is funny. Ya'll might like it.
www.vinceyoung.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Hope I made a point there. It's all very well you sitting there preaching that smoking is so vile and disgusting that you absolutley must get it banned from everywhere you can, but in the same vein, you openly admit to pumping far more dangerous fumes into the atmosphere for us all to breath! At least you have a choice of where to go, I, as a non-driver, am compelled to breath your toxic rubbish every day of my life.

It has been scientifically proven that 10 minutes outside in any urban area is as bad as having a cigarrette.

Feeling better about yourself now?

How I feel about myself has very little to do with your opinions, and yes, I do feel better about myself than I would if I were a smoker. Happy to say I'm not addicted-especially since as a 21 year old I found myself giving my 46 year old father CPR, that unfortunately failed and he died of a massive MI, and in 1998 I was a luckey, luckey girl again when the state trooper called me first when they found my 55 year old step father on the side of I95 in Connecticut bleeding from the nose and ears-he had suffered a massive stroke, glad to say he lived just long enough for his children to gather and say good-bye to his unconsious life supported body. Both smoked 2 packs a day. I am not interested in whether or not you think I have some non-smokers superiority complex at all. I have lived through the devastating effects of smoking. It's a vicious, vile, disgusting, selfish habit and I think those who do it are weak. I hate Al Gore but I'm with him on this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join