It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 new species discovered in Amazon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
That's what the Times says, although the scientist is only claiming a definite 27. It includes a tree rat and various avian species. The area was so remote that the animals had no fear of man, and in fact a jaguar tried to eat a couple of scientists!

Amazon

Still amazing at just how much relatively big wildlife unknown to science there is out there...

TD

PS they didn't specifiy if it was amazon.co.uk or amazon.com.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by TaupeDragon]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It also goes a long way to illustrate how truly vast the planet is. People have no concept of how many uninhabited areas there are or what they contain as they sit in armchairs in their urban centers

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Amazing! I'm always glad to hear that new species are being discovered, especially in vast numbers as in this case.

What saddens me is that they have to take 'samples', which I guess means killing them and taking them home.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Intresting.

Their must be somthing like a species discoverd a day now days, althought they are ussly just small insects nothing big.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yet there are new mammals of small dog size discover occassionally.
And it doesn't percluede anything large from being out out there.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Sweet.. It's always nice to hear that some unknown animals have been discovered.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Its great, but it saddens me to think just how many have been lost due to the destruction brought upon it by man and his folly and thirst for resources.

Hope the area remains a secret and is left alone - in my view the amazon should now be classed a world heritage site, and all logging stopped outright - its too preciouse to our future to destroy... we owe the futture children a decent world, not some war ravaged slash and burn scorched earth remenant of what it once was.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
appologies in advance for " picking on " your post .... but some things need to be addressed .

Originally posted by Cruizer
Yet there are new mammals of small dog size discover occassionally.
And it doesn't percluede anything large from being out out there.

please look carefully at a sample of these newly discovered species -- and note how similar they are to existing known species from the same habitat .

idetifying the diferences , and confirming that it is indeed an entirely seperate species has often required days or weeks of carefull study by profesional zoologists .

to hold such discovers [ made BTW in some of the most inhospitable and uninhabited wildernesses of the world ] as some kind of evidence that a 9 foot tall primate is at large in the CONUS , is IMHO laughable -- but people do it

ok thats me done , rant over .

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ignorant ape- Nowhere in TaupeDragon's news link does it mention anything about 9 foot tall animals.
I never mentioned anything but larger-than-dog-sized mammals. The article is talking birds, lizards, rats and snakes.

The possibility of a new tapir or variant of a big predatory cat not unlike the jaguar holds interest to many. Perhaps a thought-to-be-extinct larger sloth might be out there.

At no time did anyone but you refer to "9 foot tall primates." Please don't be a web troll and attempt to attribute words to me that I did not write again. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If the hollow earth theory is correct there could be at least 500 more species out there.

top topics

join