It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerning the night sky of 9/29/06

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Now I will start this with a few questions. How many planes are over America at a given time? ..

Do commercial Airplanes change their light configuration when nearing land, or for some other reason?

Now for further explanation I will try my best to pourtray the events of last night without rambling into a labyrinth of run on sentences..

Me and my girlfriend were sitting on a bench at the local beach (in Tarpon Springs, FL), a little after 8pm (after it had already turned dark out) and were just happening to be looking at the right place in the sky, when an glowing object just appears out of nowhere it seems. It caused a sensation of awe, because I know what planes look like, and I know what cloudy conditions can do to planes, but this was far different. This object emmited so much light that you could see a considerable reflection on the water below it, and was the brightest object in the night sky, surpassing a lighthouse and the moon, let alone it was seeming to cast a shaky red light too. My first thoughts were .. "it's not what I think it is .. it never is, it's just a plane" but it looked as if rather than flying in one direction, it was plain stationary. about five minutes of it being stationary, and we were perplexed and fixated on it. It then almost looked like it 'wiggled' in the air moving straight up and straight down, I made sure I was using reference points, stars, the lighthouse, buildings nearby, and it was most definitely moving in a way I've only heard alien technology can pull off. I was flipping out at this point in time haha.. But after that we noticed it started to dim, then move swiftly towards us, and then over our heads. From what I could see it was a black square looking platform with lights.

Now I was overly happy with what I had witnessed, but then what happened next? Another one in the same fashion. Same place of origin, same flight path, even acting the same way. More came, even two at once, then at three at once. Looking around, there were at least 5 objects visible to me in the sky at any point in time (at most I'd say 7-10 easily). Some of which looked just without a doubt just like commercial airplanes, minus the ones coming from this one specific location.

Can planes fly together? Why was it right there was so busy in the sky? Even if it was all just planes(I mean this occurred over a couple hours, there were just so many planes)? Are there any other floridians that happened to see it (in pinellas county)? Can anyone provide me with information on how traffic in our sky works (at night too)? Why would the planes be flying all at night?

Oh also, a few things to top things off for the night.. I commented on how it seemed so impossible to see so many amazing objects all in that short period of time and then, a shooting star (or what appeared to be one) haha. Then later when we decided to leave since the show eventually stopped a few hours later, ALL of the citys police cars just took off in the same direction, I've also never seen that before either.

I am absolutely clueless. (as you can tell from the organization of my post alot happened and I am still really trying to put it all together myself, and I can say I am sort of, shaken from all this) So if someone can explain what happened, I'd be greatly appreciative.

1000 appologies for disorganization of my post..

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It sounds like you think it was planes and it probably was. Planes turn on their landing lights at a set distance from the airport as they begin landing approach, and you're close to Tampa there which is a major international airport.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Commercial planes have to switch on their landing lights below 10,000ft.

You could have observed two fighter jets, maybe?

I remember reading about a report in the UK a few weeks ago concerning a V shape formation of red lights and I incidently knew this to be the Red Arrows training because I remember thinking the same thing when I saw them on display at an airshow.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I live somewhat near a airport, you can have a plane with the white, red, green lights flashing then the planes turns straight toward you, you will just see a fairly large white light that is on all the time.

Even if they are up high you can usually hear them, could you hear them?

One time when I was watchinig chemtrails being sprayed I saw something interesting. There were four planes fairly close together spraying from North to South. One plane that had taken off from the airport was climbing it was coming from East heading West. When it got close to the spraying planes it started to flash the different lights on the plane as if signaling the spraying planes. I have also seen some planes that have had weird things hooked up under them when planes were spraying.

Usually when the airport traffic is getting ready to land they are about 30 to 40 seconds departed from one another.

I would suggest if possible to visit this area as often as you can and watch.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
I live somewhat near a airport, you can have a plane with the white, red, green lights flashing then the planes turns straight toward you, you will just see a fairly large white light that is on all the time.

Even if they are up high you can usually hear them, could you hear them?

One time when I was watchinig chemtrails being sprayed I saw something interesting. There were four planes fairly close together spraying from North to South. One plane that had taken off from the airport was climbing it was coming from East heading West. When it got close to the spraying planes it started to flash the different lights on the plane as if signaling the spraying planes. I have also seen some planes that have had weird things hooked up under them when planes were spraying.

Usually when the airport traffic is getting ready to land they are about 30 to 40 seconds departed from one another.

I would suggest if possible to visit this area as often as you can and watch.

Haha. Well my question now is, since I don't really want to claim I saw UFO's, just something that didn't look normal to me. ( I'll have my own beliefs on what I saw.
)

Why so much traffic in the sky? Since looking into the stars has been something I've enjoyed to do my whole life, I was literally dumbfounded at what I saw.

(and we planned on going back to the same spot at the same time tonight)

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Planes will all approach on roughly the same flight path, dependant on which runway is in use. Busy airports like Tampa land jets every few minutes, so it's not unusual to see jets appearing in the same spot over and over. When they get to a certain altitude and distance, they switch on the landing lights and those suckers are BRIGHT! They also throttle back around that time, so the engines are relatively quiet.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
the most hempful advice i can offer right now - is go back during day light hours and spend several hours just watching the airport traffic -- and familiarise your self with the landing / take off and " holding patern " characteristics of aircraft .

oh -- and you might want to look into the flight characteristics of helicopters -- they can go straight up and down too -- and have lights

apparently they are quite popular nowadays , police and news units use them

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Dunno if this is related..

An Increase of Helicopter Activity

iori_komei who lives in washington state, and myself (I live on the East coast of South Florida) have noticed an increase of helicopter activity. Just thought I'd add that. Also, I usually see them flying from the west, to the east, so they could be coming from the west coast of Florida.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Sounds exactly like what I saw tonight.

Driving down a country road I spot an extremely bright light up in the sky, just like the lights on a jet after takeoff/before landing. So I watch this thing for a bit because it doesnt seem to be moving and I'm paying close attention to see it turn its bright lights off as most jets do once they reach a certain altitude and it did this but it only dimmer to about the brightness of a star in the night sky. Then suddenly it turned red and shot up into the sky with a small trail of fire. I've read stories like this before and its definately not something you see coming from a passenger jet or helicopter...I was thinking probably military or I just saw my first UFO.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I used to work at TIA/TPA on the ramp for years, and I lived in Lutz until recently. The flights that are coming in from the west come in over the Gulf, turn south over Van Dyke road between Dale Mabry and the Veterans Expressway, then proceed into Tampa International, they put their gear down just north of Waters Ave. Your most likely seeing those flights come in. You also have Clearwater Airport that is southeast of your location and they would follow the same general flight path, simply turning south a little earlier to fly parallel to US19 and a bit to the east.

As to your questions…

Originally posted by GuyAlexander
Now I will start this with a few questions. How many planes are over America at a given time?

Thousands, I would suggest trying flight explorer where you can see all the commercial flights in any area at any time. This does not include all the emergency, police, civil aviation, or military flights many of which are flying VFR, so there are actually even more then shown.

Do commercial Airplanes change their light configuration when nearing land, or for some other reason?

Yes, not only when they land but also at other times. For example they turn on their tail lights that display their logo while landing or taxing.

Can planes fly together?

Planes arrive in banks, meaning they all come in at about the same time, they do this so they can make connections. When they are funneled into an approach all the aircraft approaching from a specific direction will generally follow the same path.

Why was it right there was so busy in the sky? Even if it was all just planes(I mean this occurred over a couple hours, there were just so many planes)?

A bank of aircraft all coming in together.

Can anyone provide me with information on how traffic in our sky works (at night too)?

I can try but I am not an expert, I would suggest sending a U2U to snafu7700, he works ATC. You can also find explanations online. You might try one of the ATC simulator pages for detailed instructions.

Why would the planes be flying all at night?

8pm is not that late for flights. Your terminating flights begin to arrive by 8pm, these are the flights that stay over night, and they continue arriving until around 12am. You might have a few turn around flights running this late at night, but most of your flights are in by 2400 depending on the weather. However, Freight and Post Office planes mainly fly at night, and they terminate during the day. Additionally if there was bad weather anywhere in the country that day it pushes flights back so they arrive later, and sometimes they have to turn and go back out yet.

As far as it seeming to stay still in the sky for a long period, if the flight is coming in over the ocean, it may be flying directly at you for a long period of time. Over the ocean with an unobstructed view, you can see them for quite a long time before they near land. They can be quite bright and I have seen them be visible even through cloud cover.

It is also worth note that TIA has been doing runway construction this summer, and most flights have been coming in from the south. If that construction is done now, they will return to mainly approaching from the north, thus you are going to see a lot more traffic up that way compared to what you have seen so far this summer.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Now I will start this with a few questions. How many planes are over America at a given time? ..

Hundreds and possibly thousands (including military, private, and commercial)

Yes. When they're coming in for a landing or taking off their lights change.

Can planes fly together? Why was it right there was so busy in the sky?

Yes. And it has to do with wind direction. They need a head wind for takeoff (they can take off in mild crosswinds but if winds are stronger they need a headwind. And it's wind at the airport and wind conditions in the sky from 200 feet on upward).

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Yes. And it has to do with wind direction. They need a head wind for takeoff (they can take off in mild crosswinds but if winds are stronger they need a headwind. And it's wind at the airport and wind conditions in the sky from 200 feet on upward).

Normally this would be true byrd, but here in Tampa the two main long runways are north/south (18/36 L/R: 18=180 or south, 36=360 or north), since the wind here coming off the coast is mainly east/west they generally take off and land from the north as it is closer to the direction they are coming from/going to and has little to do with the wind. Almost all traffic is going to be from/to northern airports, there are not many Tampa flights that go to the south. The other reason that they usually do not land or take off from the south is that the people that live to the south of TIA throw a hissy fit if they have air traffic flying over their homes, something about property values. Bunch of babies if you ask me, if they were worried about air traffic they should not have bought property near an airport.

Here I found the flight tracks for Tampa and Clearwater. Looks to me like the reason that the PO is seeing so much traffic is because they are still routing for southern approaches do to the construction. Look at the blue lines on the map, those are for northern flights on a southern approach/takeoff and they pass right over Tarpon Springs.

Ill have to save that PDF and use it in the Chemtrails thread...

[edit on 10/2/2006 by defcon5]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Thank you for your response, escecially defcon5. Clarity has been recieved

new topics

top topics

join