It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Smoking and Global Warming

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

BTW, I'm just a filthy, biased smoker - so my objectivity can be easily called into question.

I'm right there with you..
I was standing outside a restaurant having a cigarette (far away from the entrance), and a lady stepped out of her RV sized SUV, and actually told me that cigarettes were hurting the environment!! The irony!!

I'm kinda getting tired of smoking outside where all the anti-smokers want us to smoke in the first place, then having to listen to them rag on about it still.. I told her to 'smoke this'

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Putting lipstick on that pig wont change its nature.

Your above mention is exactly that which you are doing in continuing to respond to me concerning your failure to recognize my implied sarcasm.

Nowhere in that post is there the implication that you believed untrue the quote attributed to Gore.

And nowhere in my initial post did I imply anything remotely concerning Gore.
Double

Don't like it when the medicine is dished out in the other direction, do you, huh?

Apparently you do not either, huh?
Tell you what, try looking up the word "sarcasm."
Might help you to understand my postings a bit more and save you from jumping off the assumption "ledge."

Furthermore, your commentary(s) shows your protectionist tendencies towards Gore and his overblown--that's right--myths concerning Global Warming.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Perhaps clearing land for tobacco farming added a one-time extra dose of CO2 to the atmosphere, but now the tobacco plants absorb CO2 as they grow which is released when it is smoked, so it seems like a stable cycle to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
www.pmdocs.com... 'best I can do... pretty thin stuff... Why would they (PM) study GW? From a tobacco co. too... seems to have zero to do with tobacco... I can find no confirmation for the claims in this FSU link either... so I sent 'em an email... see what shakes out.

Victor K.

38'

[edit on 30-9-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Seekerof

I'll let our posts stand.
I think they are clear enough.

Originally posted by Seekerof
Furthermore, your commentary(s) shows your protectionist tendencies towards Gore and his overblown myths concerning Global Warming.

Actually anyone who has read my threads on the topic of global warming understands the error of your comment.

In terms of Gore himself, he is not what I am protectionist about. What I *AM* protectionist about is the notion of intellectual HONESTY. Too many have subscribed to the opposite- perhaps even myself on occasion.

Quite frankly, my initial interest in this website was its motto "DENY IGNORANCE". Where I have forgotten that principle, I have enjoyed myself less here. I have also not enjoyed witnessing the subtle forms of dishonesty found throughout ATS- particularly from those members who are clearly intelligent and should therefore be more thoughtful.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm perfect- far from it.

But I am committed to the concept. Are you?

[edit on 30-9-2006 by loam]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Perhaps clearing land for tobacco farming added a one-time extra dose of CO2 to the atmosphere, but now the tobacco plants absorb CO2 as they grow which is released when it is smoked, so it seems like a stable cycle to me.

Wouldn't part of the carbon absorbed by the tobacco plant be inhaled and absorbed by the body when we smoke, making us walking environmental carbon sinks? I'm going to light-up and do my bit for the planet

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
These articles state that Al Gore spoke to U.N. diplomats and staff on Thursday (September 29).

I can’t even find anything that even places Gore at the UN at that time.
www.un.org...
www.un.org...
www.un.org...
www.un.org...

I can't even find that there was anything at all going on at the UN on the 29th.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Pretty bizzaro... he comes from a tobacco farm... accepted campaign contributions from "Big Tobacco" and all my ATS hyperlink buttons are gone! Kettle-black-pot?

Victor K.

38'

EDIT: Would you buy a used car from this man? Entertainment Weekly Issue 887 ATS buttons are back too.

Victor K.

38'

[edit on 30-9-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Where is the in-context quote?

I find it hard to believe that he would state something as ludicris as "smoking contributes to GW".

The Science has proven that the amount of particulates each cigarette produces outstrips that of a Two-Stroke dirt bike. However, these particulates are a contrubutor to "Global Dimming", not "Global Warming."

Also, it's interesting to note that most of the ones who are damning Gore for this alledged "comment" are all the most rabid partisans on this board trying to push their ideology on as many people as humanly possible. Sounds like some "Political Trolling" warns might be in order.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
These articles state that Al Gore spoke to U.N. diplomats and staff on Thursday (September 29).

I can’t even find anything that even places Gore at the UN at that time.
www.un.org...
www.un.org...
www.un.org...
www.un.org...

I can't even find that there was anything at all going on at the UN on the 29th.

Umbrax, Here is a press release from the UN that shows Coffee Anon. introducing Algore on 9/29/06 for a talk about smoking and planetary destruction.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

I find it hard to believe that he would state something as ludicris as "smoking contributes to GW".

You're quite right, he was probably far too busy inventing the internet to say something like that.

Although I will say that, although not as many people still smoke in western countries (mainly the US, UK, Canada, Australia and similar) there are still many many people who smoke in the rest of the world and even places like western europe it's still not that uncommon. I have no idea of the exact percentage but I would imagine it's significantly higher. Not that it matters since governments around the world makes loads of money from cigarettes and wont give them up easily, in the west we just add extra sales tax to make up for the lack of smokers, in other countries they just own the tobacco companies! I think even the Japanese government had a large stake in some tobacco firms or manufacture until recently.

Then again breathing also puts out a lot of CO2, maybe that is another cause of global warming, everyone stop gassing on about global warming you're killing the planet!

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is almost a hysterical topic. If it weren't for the fact that I dont find it completely unreasonable that someone these days would say something of this nature, I'm certain I would laugh.

I'm wondering at what point that B&M Baked beans will be boycotted for producing extranneous methane and at which point we will be required to curtail our breathing activity in order to reduce the overall "GHG" outputs of our daily lives.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Many of the things I find hard to believe are true.

The Science has proven that the amount of particulates each cigarette produces outstrips that of a Two-Stroke dirt bike. However, these particulates are a contrubutor to "Global Dimming", not "Global Warming."

Context please....a cigarette out strips a 2-cycle engine in what context? minute for minute combustion? BTUs? lifetime of operation? please clarify your vague statement.

Also, it's interesting to note that most of the ones who are damning Gore for this alledged "comment" are all the most rabid partisans on this board trying to push their ideology on as many people as humanly possible. Sounds like some "Political Trolling" warns might be in order.

Bring 'em on.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 9/30/2006 by darkbluesky]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Umbrax, Here is a press release from the UN that shows Coffee Anon. introducing Algore on 9/29/06 for a talk about smoking and planetary destruction.

Thanks for finding that. At least we now know for sure he was there on that date.
However, it mentions nothing about smoking.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Look we all know cigarettes are bad for you and, well, that makes people that smoke them neglegent to their own health and therefore the health of others.

I know this will offend people but, #1 I can say what I feel like sayin, and you should listen very carefully

Smoking kills, yeah, were gonna die anyway, but smoking helps it along, so those who smoke willingly take days off their lives. THIS IS STUPID. So people that smoke help out natural selection in picking off the stupid people in the world. Those that smoke are obviously helping global warming along, but at least the stupid people die.

By the way if u smoke quit do it for well yourself, and if ur going to continue to smoke, kill yourself now, get it over with. Or just go suck on a tail pipe or a cow's ass that way you die while helping the enviornment.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ok, i'll play on this thread now- (the third time i've had to switch)

As i said before on the other thread, i think Gore has slipped a cog on this one.

While it probably wouldnt "help" the environment. it sure as heck isnt going to hurt it either.

Gore is grasping at straws here.

This is extremely insignificant. I'd say passing gas once a day is probably more harmful.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Thanks for finding that. At least we now know for sure he was there on that date.
However, it mentions nothing about smoking.

I'll be efforting the transcript intensively for the next day or two.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
i think Gore has slipped a cog on this one.

With no real sources and no transcript, why do you think this is his actual position?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by dgtempe
i think Gore has slipped a cog on this one.

With no real sources and no transcript, why do you think this is his actual position?

I for one think he likely spouted this nonsense because IMHO...Algore is a grease fire, on a train wreck, in the middle of a GW induced hurricane.

[edit on 9/30/2006 by darkbluesky]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I shouldnt be quick to judge- I got the other story which was closed from Matt Drudge. Is Matt posting dissinformation??

I'm astonished.

I take it back. I;'ll wait and see- thanks, Loam.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join