It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resurrect Dead on Planet Jupiter - Any Questions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Over 20 years ago, one person set out to broadcast their message in the form of colorful tiles set into the streets of Philidelpha and surrounding cities. That message was this:

TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE '2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPiTER

The mysterious tiler desired neither fame, nor fortune. He was a man desperate to get an idea out, and a very obscure one at that. Now, after fifteen years of study, a research crew studying what have been coined "The Toynbee Tiles" is set to release their findings in a documentary film in 2007 entitled: RESURRECT DEAD. Perhaps the oddest part is that, after all their findings, they believe the original tiler's intended message was to be taken literally.

Having recently been interviewed on NPR, this story caught my attention, and my own research into it yielded a myriad of strange findings, which I sent to the documentary crew and asked them to consider. In return, they have agreed to an interview here on ATS, which will (I hope) be in podcast, providing us with some teaser video footage as well.

I wish to be well prepared for this interview, and I know many of you out there probably have some questions you would like to ask. Please feel free to post them here. If I already know the answer, I'll give it, and if I don't I'll include it in the interview.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I just realized, I was probably supposed to post this in Board Business & Questions... could a mod move it there?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't get it. What exaclly is the "idea" about?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
Sorry, I don't get it. What exaclly is the "idea" about?

LOL

Well, that's kinda the point, mate. See, no one knows exactly. People just started seeing these mysterious tiles stuck to the street in various cities, but mostly Philly, and have wondered about them ever since. The artist never gives his name, or where he is, or why he laid down the tiles, or what he means by that enigmatic phrase.

My own personal theory (simplified) is that:

• The tiler found some evidence regarding the JFK assassination.
  • He then tried to take it to the press, run by John S. Knight (Knight-Ridder, the largest media empire ever at the time).
  • They laughed him off, then sent goons to kill him, because Knight was implicated as well.
  • He hid the evidence, and went on the run, but still needed his message to get out.
  • The wording on the tiles is actually a complex anagram.
  • The anagram points to the location of the evidence.

Now... if anyone cares to know how I came to that conclusion, I'd be happy to oblige. However, the documentary crew has stated that it is their belief that the message was actually intended to be taken literally...

• posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:16 PM
    link   
    Courtesy bump for the weekenders and night owls to get their own questions in.

Come on... someone has to have some questions.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 11:49 PM
    link   
    Who is JFK? And are you sure this guy just wasn't bored or wanting attention?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:31 AM
    link   
    I did some reading on this last night, as I had never heard of it before. I found it as interesting as it is strange. I came across your posts on another forum about the same topic, but you did not give and answer there either.

So anyway, TheLibra I for one would be interested in hearing the details of your theory and how you came about it, if your willing to give the details here. If you would prefer, then send it in a U2U.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 09:59 AM
    link   
    Whats the small writing in the top left and bottom right corner's say?

Is the "Toynbee" mentioned anything to do with Arnold J Toynbee?

Movie 2001 is self evident, I think. A very wierd film, I might add.

Resurrect the dead? On Jupiter?

To me, this reads like a cryptic crossword puzzle.

Do all the tiles say the same thing? How many where there?

Never heard of these myself.... Very odd.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:23 AM
    link   
    For some reason, this dropped off MyATS for a while. Sorry for the delay in responses. Here's the answers:

Originally posted by halfmask
    Who is JFK? And are you sure this guy just wasn't bored or wanting attention?

John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States of America, assassinated Nov 22nd, 1963 under very unusual and suspect circumstances. There has been a controversy over the truth behind "Whodunnit?" for almost half a century. That JFK.

Originally posted by defcon5
    I did some reading on this last night, as I had never heard of it before. I found it as interesting as it is strange. I came across your posts on another forum about the same topic, but you did not give and answer there either.

Indeed. I'm the same person that was on that other forum. I never ended up posting my idea there because I only wished to share it with the documentary crew via email, to compare facts and to see what their take on it was. Their take was vastly different, though we have come to some very similar findings and conclusions in other areas.

Originally posted by defcon5
    So anyway, TheLibra I for one would be interested in hearing the details of your theory and how you came about it, if your willing to give the details here. If you would prefer, then send it in a U2U.

I've since received their permission to put my own findings into the forums. I'll put it in this thread after this post.

Originally posted by stumason
    Whats the small writing in the top left and bottom right corner's say?

Well, to tell the truth, I have no idea. The photo above is of Justin Duerer, one of the documentary crew. The tile beside him may actually be the stylized title to their site rather than an actual toynbee tile. I never thought to clarify that, but it shares the same style, and many of the tiles did have small writing next to it.

Is the "Toynbee" mentioned anything to do with Arnold J Toynbee?

Interestingly enough, no one really knows. So far there are three camps of ideas on this:

1.) It is in regards to the historian Arnold J Toynbee.
    2.) It is a reference to Ray Bradbury's "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Toynbee_Convector]The Toynbee Convector"
    3.) It is an anagram.

Movie 2001 is self evident, I think. A very wierd film, I might add.

Indeed. And Kubrik never would divulge the "meaning" behind it, though to be honest, I don't think Kubrik was in on this. I think instead, the movie inspired the idea for the artist to begin using the tiles.

Resurrect the dead? On Jupiter?

To me, this reads like a cryptic crossword puzzle.

Or a series of very complex anagrams that have multiple meanings and cross references to each other.

Do all the tiles say the same thing? How many where there?

Wikipedia has the following to say in response to your question.

"As of 2006, there are approximately 130 tiles, which are generally about the size of an American license plate but are sometimes considerably larger. They all contain some variation on the following inscription:

TOyNBEE IDEA
    IN KUbricK's 2001
    RESURRECT DEAD
    ON PLANET JUPiTER.

Some of the more elaborate tiles also feature cryptic political statements or exhort readers to create and install similar tiles of their own. The material used for making the tiles was long a mystery to enthusiasts, but evidence has emerged that they may be primarily made of layers of linoleum and asphalt crack-filling compound.

Articles about the tiles began appearing in the mid-1990s, though there are some stories that earlier references may have started in the mid-1980s."

Interestingly, though, it appears that the "KUbricK's" part of the quote rarely appears in any of the photos, and that the photos it does appear in appear to be the tiles of a different artist.

Okay, well, since some interest was finally shown in this thread, and I have permission from the documentary crew, I'll go ahead and post my own theory. It's quite long, so it may take multiple posts. I'm also going to try and format it for the ATS crowd, since it was originally written in mind for an audience that had already researched the tiles to a great degree.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 09:48 AM
    link   
    As a brief introduction, there are four main messages the tiles have presented:

1.) The aforementioned "Ressurect Dead on Planet Jupiter" message:

"TOYNBEE IDEA
    IN MOViE`2001
    RESURRECT DEAD
    ON PLANET JUPITER"

There are variations of this message, some using the word "KUbricK's" instead of "MOViE", and the newer tiles seem to omit the words "IN" and "ON".

2.) The 4-Tile Rant:

(the most clear interpretation of the rant appears to be as follows)

"JOHN KNIGHT, OWNER OF "THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER" - HELLION JEW - WHOSE HATED THIS MOVEMENTS GUTS - FOR YEARS - TAKES MONEY FROM THE MAFIA TO MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK GOOD IN HIS NEWSPAPERS SO HE HAS THE MAFIA IN HIS BACK POCKET.

JOHN KNIGHT SENT THE MAFIA TO MURDER ME IN MAY 1991. (unreadable.....) JOURNALIST ALL OF THEM GLOATED TO MY FACE ABOUT MY DEATH AND KNIGHT-RIDDERS GREAT POWER TO DESTROY. IN FACT JOHN KNIGHT WENT INTO HELLION BINGE OF JOY OVER KNIGHT-RIDDERS GREAT POWER TO DESTROY. I SECURED HOUSE WITH BLAST DOORS AND FLED THE COUNTRY IN JUNE 1991. N.B.C. ATTORNEYS, JOURNALISTS AND SECURITY OFFICIALS AT ROCKERFELLER CENTER FRADULAENTLY .....(unreadable)..... UNDER THE "FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT" ALL.... ORDERS OF N.B.C. EXECUTIVES GOT THE U.S. FEDERAL DISTRICT ATTORNEYS OFFICE AND GOT THE F.B.I. TO GET INTERPOL TO ESTABLISH TASK FORCE THAT LOCATED ME IN DOVER ENGLAND.

WHEN BACK HOME INQUIRER GOT UNION GOONS FROM THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES UNION TO SEND DOWN A "SPORTS JOURNALIST" -WHO - WITH BASEBALL BAT BASHED IN LIGHTS AND WINDOWS OF NEIGHBORHOOD CARS - AS WELL AS MEN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE. THEY ARE STATIONED THERE STILL. WAITING FOR ME. N.B.C., C.B.S., GROUP "W" WESTINGHOUSE. TIME. TIME-WARNER. FOX. UNIVERSAL - ALL OF THE "CULT OF THE HELLION" EACH WERE MUCH WORSE THAN KNIGHT RIDDER EVER WAS. (MOSTLY HELLION JEWS). WHEN K.Y.W. AND N.B.C. EXECUTIVES TOLD JOHN KNIGHT THE WHOLE COVEN GLOATED ON HOW THEIR SOVIET PALS HAD FOUND A WAY TO TURN IT INTO A...

John Shively Knight (Oct. 26, 1894 - Jun. 16, 1981) was the publisher responsible for creating the Knight-Ridder media empire, which, at the time of the merger in 1974 made it the largest newspaper conglomerate in the United States. His death is argued to be unknown causes, but is officially listed as a massive heart attack. All three of his wives died of odd circumstances as well.

3.) The Philly Address: A tile found in Santiago, Chile reads as follows:

Toynbee A.
    2624 S. 7th
    Philadelphia, PA.
    19148-4610
    USA

The house, described in an article is rather interesting, though the current owner denies any association with the tiler, and resents contact. As reported by one interviewer:

"the house was closed up unusually tight for a hot summer day. In the upstairs window I spotted an old computer and a few other boxes with protruding wires. The house wasn't in particularly great shape, but it didn't look like it was about to crumble into the pavement either..."

After asking a neithbor about the house, the response he received was that the owner was a recluse collector of birds and other stuff:

"And other things, he collects all sorts of things out here...Out back too...It's a mess back there. O' you should see it....The vines. You should see the vines and the trash back there. I told him I'm gonna call L&I if he don't do somethin' about it."

While these details in and of themselves may seem odd, I think it gets far stranger later on.

4.) Spread the Word / Don't Trust the Media: - The tiler had an obvious hatred for mainstream media and felt that their message needed to be picked up and carried by others in order to survive.

Variations on the smaller tileset message are:

"YOU MUST MAKE AND GLUE TILES!!! YOU!!! AS THE AMERICAN MEDIA IS WORKING WITH THE SOVIET UNION AND ITS THOUSANDS OF FRONTS IN USA..."

or

"ONLY BY DESTRUCTION OF THE MEDIA CAN THIS MOVEMENT SURVIVE".

Along with instructions on how to create the tiles. A full description on how the tiles are made, and what materials are used can be found here.

There are allegedly two main tilers known of. The original, and the copycat. The copycat is most apparent by the following differences:

• Lacks the words "IN", "ON", and the apostrophe before the 2001.

• Uses the word "RAISE" instead of "RESURRECT"

• Noticable differences in font size and style from the originals.

As a last part of the introductiopn to my theory, it should be noted that one of the people investigating this mystery concluded that, at the address listed on Philly, there was a resident by the name of "Railroad Joe" before the current occupant. He appears to have worked for CONRAIL Freight, and the terminus for the various CONRAIL tracks matches almost perfectly with the locations of the tiles in other cities. One of the only exceptions was a scant 2 mile walk from the CONRAIL terminus in Kansas City. It is alleged that this may have been one of the two tilers, and that this would explain how a person low on funds could conceivably spread their tiles across the U.S. with little to no expense.

Thus ends my introduction. There are many fine resources on the web to check out further details. While I haven't yet divulged any of my theory, I felt it was important to have a bit of a class first on what the tiles were about, and why the mystery.

• posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:02 AM
    link   
    I really don't see what the fuss is all about. That one is pretty obvious to any of us who were there for the 2001 movie's initial showing and who read the book.

In 2001 (if you will all recall), Dave's "resurrection/rebirth" took place via the monolith orbiting Jupiter.

It's viewed in light of Toynbee's interpretation of history (he went with civilizations rather than nations and focused on religion as one of the strong forces) -- so this person (apparently on an acid trip) believes that the world is being changed by rebirths (souls migrating to Jupiter, passing through a portal and returning to be reborn on Earth.)

There was lots of that kind of thinking going around in those days.

Honestly, didn't they ask any ex-hippies about it?

The rest of the tiles show someone who has a very different interpretation of the world (involving a great conspiracy that only he seems to have identified). He appears to have gone through a mystical experience at one point, but I don't know that I'd say he's got any great insight.

Mental hospitals are full of people with urgent messages for the world (all very different) and who have had mystical experiences. It's very interesting, but I really don't think it's THAT mysterious.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 10:53 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
    I really don't see what the fuss is all about. That one is pretty obvious to any of us who were there for the 2001 movie's initial showing and who read the book.

Done both. And while I agree, the movie definitely appears to be the influence for the wording of the tiles and the use of the tiles themselves, it is not the end of the story, as there are several unaswered questions:

• Why the hatred of John S. Knight?

• What is the "Cult of The Hellion" that the tiler describes? (sorry, forgot to expound on this point earlier)

• Why did the tiler feel so threatened?

• What compelled him to continue the tilings in other cities?

• What compelled the copycat to take up the reigns?

• What's the deal with the address on the tile found in Chile?

This isn't just an open and shut case as you may think. If it were, there wouldn't be page after page after article after article trying to figure out bits and pieces to the mystery, and I certainly doubt anyone would have bothered with a documentary on it. There is a deeper story at work here, one that transcends the blatantly obvious surface message about Jupiter and 2001.

• posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:25 AM
    link   
    thelibra,

Do you have any idea what the anagrams in the message might say? And I believe you stated earlier that the movie producers have taken a literal interpretation of the message does that mean they expect the dead to be resurrected on jupiter? And if so do you have any ideas how the dead got to jupiter? I presume they were alive there at some point. And why is your interpretation of the message so different from theirs?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:00 PM
    link   
    I did every kind of search imaginable on the late James S. Knight, and found very, very little, except that there were a lot of people who felt that the merger of two media conglomerates into Knight-Ridder betrayed journalism in favor of corporate interests...until I came to an interesting but rather lengthy deposition by a miss Claire Booth Luce, whom had the following to say:

"Because of the Life Magazine story, the Miami Police Department began an investigation of McLaney. The report of this interview stated: "In the course of the conversation Mr. McLaney named some of his close friends. To the best of my recollection those named were J. Edgar Hoover, John S. Knight, publisher of the Miami Herald and Rocky Pomerantz, Chief of the Miami Beach Police Department. He stated that he could use these people as references, along with the Chief of Police and Mayor of New Orleans. Upon departure it was noted that his next door neighbor is alleged crime figure Tony

Salerno." [Inter-office Memo, City of Miami, McCracken/Swilley 2.9.67]

I have not had enough hours in the day to read the entire site, but the link is here:

ajweberman.com...

By the way, Pomerantz is mispelled in the memo. It should have been spelled "Pomerance". This error I discovered after several hours of fruitless searching led me to a sort of "yearbook" with Rocky's real last name.

This appears to be a collection of memos and depositions following the death of John F. Kennedy. While, as I said, I have not had a chance to read the entire thing, a few things I was able to find were the following:

Oswald was, with the apparent assistance of Rocky Pomerance (chief of Miami Police), able to sneak enough Cuban communists in to the U.S., and then with the assistance of Victor H. Schiro (Mayor of New Orleans), set up a communist sleeper cell in New Orleans.

I have yet had the time to research this Michael J. McLaney or Hoover, but this page yielded something of some serious interest:

www.namebase.org...

As for what happened to Luce's deposition and her sources:

"I thought I wonder if Garrison knows anything about the cell OSWALD ran in New Orleans. I got Garrison on the phone. No I didn't get Garrison because right away I knew I didn't have the boys names. So I called Bill Pawley. He tracked one of them down for me and gave me his telephone number and address. I called up Garrison. Told him just what I have told you. Hadn't been talking to him more than ten minutes when I said that fellow isn't serious, a phony, disorientated, as if he was making some sort of political pitch."

(and)

"Then I called up my young Cuban, reminding him of the conversation. This was about 3 or 4 years after. Said 'What happened that night?' He said, 'Mrs. Luce, we did just what you said. We got it all to the FBI. They came, took our tape recordings, took our photographs. Told us to damn well keep our mouths shut until the FBI sent for us. When the Warren Commission came on I was enormously interested thinking they would send for us, or ask us for a deposition. We never heard a thing.'"

Luce wasn't a crackpot old biddy. She was an intelligence operative and also the U.S. Ambassador to Italy.

...there's more... so much more... I would need days just to read through it all and check the references, but it became pretty damn clear at this point: Knight was somehow involved with the group that allowed Oswald to set up a communist cell, continue his affair with the Soviet Union, and eventually result in three very famous deaths: Kennedy, Oswald, and Ruby.

But what of Knight's alleged Mafia connections... and wwhy the ranting about him being a Jew, and the "hellion cult", and the power to destroy?

I found this quote about Jewish mobsters from the 60's, with a surprising twist at the end...

"These were guys — legendary figures such as "Bugsy" Siegel, Meyer Lansky, Arthur "Dutch Schultz" Flegenheimer and "Lepke" Buchalter — who earned their reputations and their livings by preying on the weaknesses of others, collecting large dividends from extortion, gambling and bootlegging. They protected their criminal enterprises through bribery and, when necessary, murder. They traveled in mobs with names like Murder Incorporated, the Bugs-and- Meyer Gang, the Hoff Gang in Philadelphia and the Purple Gang in Detroit. At the highest levels of the criminal universe, Jewish mobsters worked hand in hand with the heads of the Five Families of New York's La Cosa Nostra. And when no one was watching, they built Las Vegas.

"After all, the Forge is owned by Alvin Malnik, a man considered by federal law enforcement officials to be a major organized-crime figure and, as former Miami Beach Rocky Pomerance put it: Meyer Lansky's 'fair-haired boy.'" (Idem.)

I have not yet had the time to track down the Meyer Lansky connection, but the fact that our good Chief Pomerance knew him, and was associated with Knight as well, provides at least some connection. The Philadelphia Hoff Gang mentioned above I could find ZERO reference to on the net. The closest I could find was something about the Bader Mein Hoff gang in Germany, which I have increasing doubts are in any way involved.

In any event, this is only a fragment of everything I've found so far, but let's put the reconstruct the story starting from the hypothetical beginning:

A man obtains some sort of visual evidence regarding the Kennedy, Oswald, or Ruby assassination. He decides to go to the press about it. The press is, of course, owned by Knight-Ridder, and not only refuses to publish the story, but apparently makes some threats to author to keep his mouth shut, and notifies their friends once he has left. The author has no legal recourse, no ability to get his evidence public, and has now attracted the rather unsavory attention of the forces (mafia, Cuban, and/or Soviet) behind the Kennedy assassination and the subsequent deaths of those closely involved.

He goes on the run, but has to get his message out. No newspaper is going to help him. No television station is going to air his proof. He can't run to the government; even if he trusted them, it's not like they had a good track record of keeping witnesses alive. No one was going to listen to another Kennedy Conspiracy Theory, because at the time, everyone and their brother has some crackpot theory about the Kennedy assassination. And now he has people after him.

He does what any of us would do in such a situation. He hides the evidence in a safe place and runs. I think we both know the address of where that evidence was hidden.

He then has to devise a message that will be in plain view, in public, will be quite nearly indestructable, will last a long time, will be pretty enough to gain attention, but obscure enough to either be dismissed by those who could care less, or looked very closely at by those who do care. Even his choice of medium, tiles, reflects the idea that the message is not neccessarily what it appears. Scrabble was HUGE back in those times, the owners of the manufacturing rights couldn't even produce enough boards to meet the demand.

He needed a message that was not only able to be descrambled, but would also have at least some slight bearing on the real message when scrambled.

Of the possible phrases., the most sensible message I get is (removing the little "i's")

TOYNBEE IDEA = OBTAINED EYE
    IN MOViE `2001 = MOVE IN (removed the small "i")
    RESSURECT DEAD = REDACTED RUSES
    ON PLANET JUPiTER = OPEN PLANTER JUT (removed the small "i")

Combined with the tile with the Philly address, it would seem the message was that maybe there's some papers that were never redacted (when the government blahs something out in a declassified report) hidden in that house where part of a planter juts out.

(continued next post)

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:02 PM
    link   
    So... why the line about Jupiter? and What about the Movie 2001? These may make more sense as I complete the anagrams, but for now, consider that the tiles regarding John Knight seem to point to the JFK conspiracy if you are to take the previous research into account, but how could anyone inferr Kennedy from what's on the "main" tiles??? I think the key is in the word Jupiter.

Aside from the obvious reference to Jupiter being the King of the Gods, which could be an allusion to JFK (The President of the USA, compared to the rest of the world, could be considered a bit of a god, and for those that loved JFK, he would have been considered the best amongst them) I ran a search on "Kennedy" and "Jupiter" and arrived at the following:

* Kennedy Estates Park in Jupiter Florida (about 100 miles up the East Coast, from Miami, RE: Pomerance) - A weak connection at best.

* Came into office during a Jupiter-Saturn Conjunction - Still pretty weak, but interesting in that various astrologers (the ones would would have thought of the Jupiter-Saturn thing) had also predicted his death. I personally don't put much stock in astrology though. I prefer fact.

* Jupiter Missiles - President John F. Kennedy ordered the removal of all Jupiter IRBMs upon taking office in 1961. The Air Force, however, delayed removal and the President was infuriated to learn that they had not yet been removed more than a year later. All Jupiter IRBM's were removed from service by April 1963, by this point a maneuver useful as a backdoor trade with the Soviets, in exchange for their earlier removal of IRBMs from Cuba. (a bit stronger of a connection, especially in regards to the Cubans, Soviets, and possible connection to JFK's assassination.)

* Pioneer: First Mission To Jupiter
    On March 2, 1972, Pioneer 10 was launched from the John F. Kennedy Space center to become the first spacecraft to venture into the outer solar system. Eleven months later, the spacecraft had successfully passed through the asteroid belt, and on December 3, 1973, came within 130,000 kilometers (80,800 miles) of the cloud tops of Jupiter. Both Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 encountered Jupiter a year later. (the strongest connection to John Knight, as in 1974 the Knight-Ridder merger took place, making it the single most powerful publishing empire in the world. Also the strongest connection to the movie 2001).

So why the reference to the movie 2001?

The author probably tried many methods to get his message out, and would have run into all the difficulties and paranoia I mentioned earlier. Designing his message, the way to implement it, and how to get enough obscure references to cross each other would have been extremely difficult without being either too vague, too obvious, and without the aid of the internet, DVDs, even VHS tapes were relatively new technology. It is entirely possible that the author was on the run, for years, until in 1980, MGM released a movie that few people had bothered watching in its original 1968 release due to terrible reviews. That movie was "2001: A Space Oddessey", now on the new VHS tapes that would have made the movie not only commonly available, but would enable the viewer to watch it over and over and over again.

To the author, this movie would have proven to be the answer to all of his questions. The movie, centering around the discovery of four large black monoliths. At each discovery of a monolith, there is an illumination. The first, when the apes learn to use tools, the second, on the moon, which prompts the creation of a mission to Jupiter where a third tile is discovered which leads through time and space to the fourth tile, the apparent evolution of the entire species.

The players? USA and USSR. The name of the craft "Discovery". The destination of Jupiter. The unveiling of some massive truth at each of these huge "tiles". The death and rebirth of the main character. The hidden mission within Hal... if one didn't know better, they might think Kubrik actually intended this whole film as a codified message (he never did actually reveal what the "point" of the movie was about). Not only would 2001 prove to give the author a wealth of ideas about how to present his message, and in what format, but it would, for the first time, provide a commonly available reference point that he could direct his viewers to, for them to decypher the code.

Most likely, he immediately began his work, spreading the same message...

...and within a year, someone found the tiles and figured them out. Someone figured out not only the intent of the message, but the players involved as well. Someone who did not want the past to be dug back up.

On June 16, 1981, John S. Knight died of unknown causes, allegedly a massive heart attack (which has been the preferred assassination method for those who don't wish anyone to know an actual assassination took place).

The death of John S. Knight so soon after the laying of the original Toynbee Tiles would have prompted more desperate measures, leaving the country, buying a house with blast doors...

Again, this is all speculation, but the more I look into it, the more it appears to be the truth. For all I know, this is all rather amazing coincidence... But to be honest, I think, in a way, it makes far more sense than some hare-brained plot to infest Jupiter with zombies.

Even if I were correct, there would be little point unless someone could purchase the house or obtain permission from the owner to dig up the flower beds and any planters that might be there. However, I do not believe I ever qualified that statement.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:50 AM
    link   
    facinating stuff thelibra.....at the very least it would make a great book or movie! Im still curious as to why the other guys are taking a literal interpretation of the message.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 11:13 AM
    link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr
    facinating stuff thelibra.....at the very least it would make a great book or movie! Im still curious as to why the other guys are taking a literal interpretation of the message.

Well, I'll certainly have questions relating to that in the interview. However, what I've been told so far that I'm pretty sure I can repeat is that they have figured out whom both the original tiler is, and whom the copycat tiler is. They've had contact with the copycat, but not the original. They have also found letters and writing from the original tiler to people the tiler thought could help him, all of which seemed to relate to the same thing, which was somehow getting dead people resurrected on Jupiter... So unless his letters to them were similarly encoded--which I cannot begin to hazard a guess on, not having seen these letters, but could definitely see if the man was paranoid enough--then either they have the identity of the tiler mistaken or the tiler really did mean to resurrect the dead on planet Jupiter...

Frankly, either theory is crazy enough to make it a wacky and interesting story.

...as for the names of anyone involved or the actual writings, I have a feeling those will have to wait till the documentary is released.

More questions?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:50 PM
    link   
    To add to the mystery...

Found some videos on YouTube. All are posted by a user sbjim in Oct 2006. The first 4 are "Toynbee Blips" 1-4, and the 5th is called "The Navigator." All the videos are montages set to music with some text displayed on the screen. The connection, other than having Toynbee in the title, is that the first video includes the text of the classic Toynbee tile "Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001...etc." The first 3 movies also display the words "Faith," "Resurrect," and "Chrysalis." The 4th movie says "Obey" and "Submit."

But most interesting is that videos 2-4 all say that "People are being resurrected on Jupiter." Note the use of present tense.

A comment posted on the first video mentions that 2001 was "a Toynbeean blueprint for building a "Jupiter Brain"."

Now, obviously, the chances of this youtube poster and the mystery Tiler being the same guy are remote, but they're obviously working on the same subject matter.

Does anyone know anything more on this "people being resurrected on Jupiter" bit?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
    link   
    The thread is ALIVE!
    Hope I don't get hit for necromancy. lol

Anyway, I'd heard about this years ago and kind of forgot about it until today
    When someone sent me some info to a 2011 documentary called
    "Resurrect Dead The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles", which I discovered had to do with this tile thing Id read about years ago.
    Which can be watched via this link~
    www.iwannawatch.net...

Im not even half way through it yet,
    But happened upon this thread after a quick search on something, so here I am. lol

Interesting info Libra, Thanks (if you're still around).

Edit: I'm confused by the date of this thread, the mention of the documentary in the OP, and the supposed date of the docu. I posted, which is supposed to be 2011.

Is this a fairly new documentary or not? lol
    Hmmm....
    edit on 30-6-2012 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

top topics

join