It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO To Take Command Of Afghanistan Forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Next month NATO will take command of peacekeeping duties in Afghanistan. This comes after the U.S. said it will transfer twelve thousand more troops to the region. The U.S. troops will be moved from eastern Afghanistan to the southern region where increasing bloody battles have been happening. This will represent the largest force under NATO command since the second world war. In the last five months there has been an increase in attacks on the NATO forces mostly in the southern region and the capital, Kabul has had some suicide bomb attacks.

news.independent.co.uk
The US servicemen will be moved from the relatively peaceful eastern part of Afghanistan to the volatile southern region, where Nato troops, including 5,000 British soldiers, have been fighting an increasingly bloody war with Islamist Taliban fighters.

The deployment will mean that 14,000 of Nato's 32,000 International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) troops under British command would be provided by the US, its biggest contingent under foreign control since the Second World War.

The agreement yesterday came as European nations failed to agree to send more troops to cover shortfalls identified by commanders. The secretary general, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, at the Nato meeting in Slovenia, urged other countries to send more troops to the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I was not to sure what to think about this when I first read it. I remember the botched mission in Bosnia. The U.S. has avoided putting its troops under foreign command since then, as best as I can remember. And now the largest NATO command force since world war two. OK so what is this supposed to mean? Behind the scene deals with European nations? With Afghanistan and Packastan? I really don't have a clue but in my experience time will eventually reveal all.

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net
www.bloomberg.com
news.xinhuanet.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Will NATO be dragged into new Afghanistan war while US conquers world's oil supplies?
9/11 Conspiracy:

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Iran perhaps? Everything seems to focus on the coming Iran attack, even if almost everybody agree that air strikes won't work, and will create a HUGE mess in the middle-east and for troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

With the Eisenhower attack group that will be near Iranian waters on October 21 and demining submarine will be there on October 1, everything seems to go that way... I hope it's just bluff. Because if not, it will be either draft or the downfall of the US, or both.

[edit on 29-9-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

With the Eisenhower attack group that will be near Iranian waters on October 21 and demining submarine will be there on October 1, everything seems to go that way... I hope it's just bluff. Because if not, it will be either draft or the downfall of the US, or both.

Vitchilo,
yes with all the tenshen with Iran lately that would be a reasonable guess. However since we are talking about the troops in Afganastan I really dont think this would be a prelude to any sort of military action dealing with Iran.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Yeah, they are there to protect the installations and military bases from Iranians forces tha could enter the country. So they are renforcing their position, that's why they send more troops.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Yeah, they are there to protect the installations and military bases from Iranians forces tha could enter the country. So they are renforcing their position, that's why they send more troops.

Vitchilo,
Are you saying that you think there is a chance that Iran would take military action in Afghanstan?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Vitchilo,
Are you saying that you think there is a chance that Iran would take military action in Afghanstan?

No the troops are being moved, Because other NATO countries will not come forward and contribute to the Force in the South. Once again US, Canadian and Uk troops are having to take the full brunt of Operations in Afghanstan..

If they can even agree, on sending more troops to that region. Why is NATO even here?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
RedGolem, i'm just saying that if the US bomb Iran, the Iran army could enter Afghanistan and help the resistance to fight NATO forces in there.

top topics

join