It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Reason Sony Didnt Go With The Boomerang Controller

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
sony at one time had plans to make a boomerang like controller for the upcomming ps3 ,then they decided to go with the ps2 controller instead. this is the controller in question.
what might have been the ps3 controller

why did sony change their mind ?

i read a rumor they came to the conclusion that the design was dangerous.

when so many ps3 buyers started to realize they would rather play a wii they knew they would become angry .

knowing how gamers like to throw the controller when angry,sony realized the boomerang controller would have left their hands only to fly around the room comming right back at them and knocking them hard in the noggin. sony couldnt afford these lawsuits .

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thats just plain dumb. It had none of the aerodynamics needed to come back....

But as for throwing a controller....F Zero on the Game Cube caused more than one shattered pad....

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
i remember on the nes, back in the days, i had a friend who would throw the controller and anotehr buddy who would freak out and punch the crap out of the controller. those little goofy square controllers sure held up . you know you are playing a good game when it pisses you off that bad. i will say without a doubt that i have never throw a controller. maybe that is because i own .
peace

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I think it had to do with public reaction.

The huge majority of the PS crowd didn't like it. It may of had a better feel to it...but who knows....since nobody outside of sony's circle got to play with it.

I wish they would have choosed it, if it felt good of course.
If they would of put a gyroscope in it, then it could have doubled as a normal controller, and a steering wheel for racing games.

I also havn't ever really thown a remote...well, I guess sometimes...but at the ground, not my tv or something that it could break.

Thats the reasoning behind the xbox's break-away cables...which I must say was an innovative idea.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I really didnt like the look of the "Boomerang" controller, it just didnt have the proper look

hard to describe:bnghd:

My little brother actually broke a controller almost in half! he got so angry at Midnight club 3 that he just went "F%#@ THAT" and just snapped the thing!

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
ive never thrown a controller in 20 years of gaming, but ive seen it done before by several people. one friend of mine used his nes controller as a punching bag.

i always thought it was funny, yet sad.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I dont know about it coming back to hit you on the head but the boomerang controller just looks BAD, its got no style and sony is all about style, are they not.
I,ve thrown a few controller at the floor, not too often, but with the n64 and zelda the ocarina of time, a few bosses were p***ing me off Bingo Bongo I think his name was, I still play majoras mask every so often as I never completed it but I dont throw controllers anymore I just chill out and try harder.
I'm sure you must knoew E.G, is twilight princess coming out on gamecube and if so when?

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The real reason is because they had to redesign the controller so they can steal the motion sensing technology off of Nintendo.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah holy gamer thats a very true statement...bastdad sony thiefs strike again... but never mind, because its going to go down a storm - But people will be asked to bring a controller if they want to play multiplayer!!

As for the game cube version of Zelda it will be out dec15th is the latest from game, ie almost the same time as the nintendo wii version...whether it will or not is another question!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
zelda TP is going to be released with the wii, nov 19.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holygamer
The real reason is because they had to redesign the controller so they can steal the motion sensing technology off of Nintendo.

thats rediculous, they didn't redesign there controller for that, they could of went with the boomerang and still make it with a gyroscope built in. Yes, they of course copied the Wii with a gyroscope...And to this day I think that was a dumb move, I cant see that helping gameplay for any games.

By the way though....sony did say that the boomerang controller was a "conceptual design", as they said with the PS3.
Heres a picture the shows the changes made from the conceptual design, to the production model design.

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
i really cant see that controller being comfortable to hold in your hands... the "arms" on the sides just look like they would be too long, and wouldn't be a good fit. i like the ps2 controller , as well as the xbox and 360 controllers. they are comfortable to hold and all the buttons are easily accessible.

btw... has anyone noticed how much the playstation logo lettering and the lettering for the spiderman movies are like exactly the same?

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You don't really believe that is the reason do you? Do you have something to back this claim up?

Because it would come back and hit them?

There are many reason that would not happen, the weight of the controller is the biggest factor. The symmetry is not there.

Boomerang

What is It?
When we talk about boomerangs, we usually mean the curved devices that return to you when you throw them, but there are actually two different kinds of boomerangs. The kind we're all familiar with, returning boomerangs, are specially crafted, lightweight pieces of wood, plastic or other material.
science.howstuffworks.com...

The controller is not made to be boomerang for hunting or returning.

Why Does It Come Back?
Unlike an airplane or helicopter propeller, which starts spinning while the vehicle is completely still, you throw the boomerang, so that in addition to its spinning propeller motion, it also has the motion of flying through the air.
science.howstuffworks.com...

Check out the physics of the boomerang, on the same page.

[edit on 13-10-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
i was just messing around when i said it could come back and hit you in the head.

it was playful teasing to the ps3 crowd.

the ps3 boomerang controller actually looks more comfy to me then the xbox controllers.

Originally posted by McGuirk

btw... has anyone noticed how much the playstation logo lettering and the lettering for the spiderman movies are like exactly the same?

i think the spidey movies are made and owned by sony. maybe this is the reason, its a design sony likes. or maybe its just a cool universal font.

peace

[edit on 15-10-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
this thread is nothing more than an attempt to start a flamewar between fanboys of different consoles

nothing more

now, ps3 looks like a good system, but i'm hesitant
360, aside from initial hardware problems that have been fixed, is good, though it needs a few more good games
wii, looks like it will be fun if the games are good

so, console war over
let's call a truce

please?

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
its more of a post to get gamers talking. the flame wars are just pure humor, does anyone really get offended when their favorite company gets dissed?

this console war is right around the corner and nintendo will deffinitly take second place , with xbox 360 still in first with its year of sells, and ps3 in third with its shortage of units due to blue ray.

how long will it take sony to take over first place, i guess it will come down to how fast they can produce their ps3.

can nintendo take over xbox soon and then keep a lead over ps3 forever for the next 5 years?

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i thought this was gonna be another fanboy rant here, but the last couple of posters are cool gus who saw right through it. Nice one.

Murcielago had it spot-on as well, nobody EVER said that that boomerang design was going to be the final product. Controllers, consoles and even the packaging are constantly changed as development goes on. Early designs are to give the public an impression of what to expect.

The new wireless controllers are very comfortable and anyones who's ever played witha Dualshock controller will feel at home. The elevated R2+L2 buttons also feel great as does the motion sensor technology which works a treat.
Plus, for the lazy man (like myself) like the xbox 360, the console can be turned on and off with the controller.

[edit on 18-10-2006 by RadioheadLee]

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
i can't believe you guys are taking the OP's comments seriously. it was obviously a joke with a bit of a jab towards the sony crowd - played out, yes, but not bad.

with that being said, i can't wait until the second or third build ps3 comes out...a few bucks cheaper and without all the bugs the first generation generally comes with.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The first thing I would do if I had a boomerang shaped controller is see how hard I could hit my friend in the head after he cheats. "POW" Nobody cheats me and gets away with it.

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The decision not to use the 'boomerang controller' had nothing to do with Nintendo or Wii.
It was just an idea that was floating around that they decided not to go with.

Besides, look at the design. Hand cramps and Arthritis anyone?

new topics

top topics

join