It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WoT an Official War + War Powers - Posse Comitatus = ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I was reading this earlier...

Link

A little- noticed provision in President Bush's proposal for the treatment of suspected terrorists would for the first time legally endorse the fight against terrorism as equivalent to war, lawmakers and national security lawyers say.

For five years, Washington lawmakers have clashed over whether the U.S. effort to combat terrorism should be considered an armed conflict. The White House has said repeatedly that the anti-terrorism effort should be considered a war.

Advertisement
Critics of the provision, such as former CIA counsel Suzanne Spaulding, said it could amount to a back-door endorsement of the disputed wartime presidential powers that Bush has asserted, potentially strengthening his hand in court battles over the National Security Agency's warrantless spying and permitting defense and intelligence agencies to launch operations in the United States.

Well, is it time for a big fat 'We told you so!' - or should we wait for the tanks in the street?

I just re-watched The Siege tonight, and then happened on this article while reading the news.

Obviously it got me thinking...

If the WoT is classified as a true war, and Bush's war powers are buttressed, does it give him the power to deploy the American military in American cities unchecked? I think so...

The next big attack will almost certainly be the end of our way of life in this country. If not, the bad guys aren't trying hard enough (and of course bad guys come in all shapes and sizes and colors, many of them wear expensive suits and have never been to a terrorist training camp).

What do you think? Is this the final element in the equation? Is it the missing component of the set-up?

Or is this measure just useful for persecuting people in other countries?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm frankly surprised it's taken the Junta this long to go about trying to "legally and officially" claim the WoT is actually a war...

So yes, even though laws and Consitutions and civil rights are of little impediment to them actually putting tanks in the street, by now being able to classify this situation as a war, they will have a legal claim to keep those tanks in the streets. We have a guillible and dumb populace, but instinct is strong, and we will demand to know why, and how long, and whether our rights still exist and can exist beyond a martial-law limbo...

Of course, they don't and they won't. I pray to be somewhere very different on the day the next big attack happens...

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Well, is it time for a big fat 'We told you so!' - or should we wait for the tanks in the street?

Wyrde, I am only responding to a small bit of this. But I see military hummers constantly, Cobra choppers circling the city hanging low, and criminals being charged federally, as compared to locally, just to get a harsher sentence.

Imo, New Orleans is the training ground right now for this, "i told you so."

Folks, some of you would think I'm being paranoid. Would you appreciate this flying over your home all day?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
TheDoctor
While I understand your feelings, I wouldn't want to be anywhere but right here if/when it goes down. I consider myself blessed to be living in such interesting times.

niteboy
New Orleans is a serious cause for concern I think. When it starts happening in other urban areas as well, people might take a long look at the justifications, but I doubt it.

More people care about American Idol and various professional sports...

Our survival instinct and intelligence has become so dilluted, we're willing to sacrifice life and freedom for comfort and entertainment...

When everything is falling apart and coming down around our heads (as it's beginning to now) I see pure poetic justice. It's a beautiful thing to behold.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
And Wyrde, I do agree with you that a front-row seat would be rather interesting, but I don't want a literal front-row seat, if ya know what I mean....

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I am hoping this is all just conspiracy talk, but things are looking bad for you Yanks. What do you suppose the odds are that this comes down to which side the Military choses? Should the military decide to "follow orders" and enforce unpopular civic laws? Would the militia's stand against the military?

OMG?!?! www.abovetopsecret.com...
As Stewie would say "Bloody ell"

[edit on 29-9-2006 by Waiting2awake]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Everytime I see something having to do with the Posse Commitus Act; a chill runs down my spine. And after all these years that chill has finally been for a reason.

This new 'compromis' keeps yeiding more and more bad fruit for the people of America and indeed the world.

Just like the WOD.. the WOT will never end and the PATRIOT ACT is our new Bill of lack of Rights. I have been warning people to pay attention to the PCA. I told them when you see this Act fall.. pack your # and get ready to rock.

heres where I got the chill when reading that article:

Bush's proposal, expected to be acted on by Congress today, defines "unlawful enemy combatant" as anyone "who has engaged in hostilities or who has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States" or its allies.

source: baltimoresun.com

As Anyone who has engaged in hostilities OR who has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States

So by definition...aggrvated assault from one citizen of the US on another citizen of the US could be defined by this.. Rob a bank... same thing... Buy Pot; then you are supporting terrorism; and resisting arrest?.. practically text book "unlawful combatant" ANYONE in that quote means ANY frickin ONE! sure thats not how it will start out... but these things move over time.. never overnight.

I do not like any power having the authority to deam ANYONE an "unlawful combatant" and deny them even a chance to defend themselves legally. ANd this includes the 300 million of our fellow citizens.

Sometimes I really hate being right.... And others; I love being wrong... lets hope to goodness that this is one of those wrong ones...

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
With all the threads that discuss this topic, do a search and you will find at least 30+ ATS threads o this very topic. Not with the above recent link, but forshadowng and almost predicting this out come.

I would post more, but those you have been here awhile know how I feel on this, along with how it would go down.

Nothing but a "what if"...

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Wyrde, I am only responding to a small bit of this. But I see military hummers constantly, Cobra choppers circling the city hanging low, and criminals being charged federally, as compared to locally, just to get a harsher sentence.

Imo, New Orleans is the training ground right now for this, "i told you so."

Folks, some of you would think I'm being paranoid. Would you appreciate this flying over your home all day?

Depends, how close are you to a Military Base? Up untill a few months back, and it will start back up again in a few more, (runway being rebuilt) I'll have E-4B's, RC-135U's, RC-135V/W's, RC-135S's, B-1B's, F-16's, F-18's, UH-60 Blackhawks, CH-47 Chinook's, and AH-64's flying over my house, for the like 20th or so year. I still see the helis due to the fact there's also a Natl. Guard base pretty close to the area.

My problem with NOLA was the fact they actually had the balls to bring some of the biggest a-holes in earth in the city to "help". That'd be Blackwater. If y'all are scared at the thought of ARMY on our streets, I'm 10 times more afraid of Mercs on our roads, and in our towns. IF and this is a big if, there was to be a mass disarmament, or takeover at the hand of the military, I'd be willing to bet you'd see at least 50% desert in the first day, considering, that the average soldier will understand the same thing is happening in his own town to his own family. Then you'll have one really POed AWOL soldier. Which is why if the gov't was to attempt this and have any chance of winning, they'll need soldiers for hire, aka, mercs.

That's why I also think we let them do a trail run in NOLA. When they showed up, they acted the same was as in Iraq. Fu-- everyone, don't need lisence plates on car, whipping around the streets like it's downtown Baghdad 20 miles over the speed limit, endangering everyones saftey and well being. Pointing loaded, M-4's at every civilian they run across ect. I think it's about time "The People" kick everyone of these companies out of our country. Instead, our gov't allows them to build huge, multi-million dollar training facilities. These guys are the epitome of trash. I mean hell, even in Iraq they fired on U.S. Marines, who ended up arresting them, then after one night in jail, they were let go. Imagine that.

new topics

top topics

join