It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncontrolled Mud Volcano Caused by Drilling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Talk about fragile earth! Has anyone seen pictures of this? It sounds horrendous.

Source

Four months ago, a torrent of hot mud from deep beneath the surface of Indonesia's seismically charged Java island began surging from a natural gas exploration site following a drilling accident.

The "mud volcano" pours out some 165,000 cubic yards of mud every day - enough to cover a football field about 75 feet deep. Often spewing out in geyser-like eruptions, the mud has left some 665 acres swamped or abandoned as unsafe, forcing more than 10,000 people from their homes.

Experts say the mud volcano is one of the largest ever recorded on land. Geologists fear the technology may not exist to stop the eruption, saying mud could flow for years or even centuries - or stop on its own at any time.

I can't even fathom this. I think this is the worst man induced disastor to nature I have heard yet.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It's quite shocking really. Is mud really the same consistancy as oil on ground penetrating radar? Or did they just drill for the heck of it without bothering to look first? Also, it's said that there may be no way to plug the hole now because the outpouring mud is widening the hole at a considerable rate.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yup.

You can also read more detail here.

Poor people. What a mess. :shk:

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Thanks Loam, didn't catch the original discussion.

I will take my comments there.

top topics

join