It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quite Possibly The Real Reason We Haven't Met Aliens...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Why We Haven't Met Any Aliens

The story goes like this: Sometime in the 1940s, Enrico Fermi was talking about the possibility of extra-terrestrial intelligence with some other physicists. They were impressed that life had evolved quickly and progressively on Earth. They figured our galaxy holds about 100 billion stars, and that an intelligent, exponentially-reproducing species could colonize the galaxy in just a few million years. They reasoned that extra-terrestrial intelligence should be common by now. Fermi listened patiently, then asked, simply, "So, where is everybody?" That is, if extra-terrestrial intelligence is common, why haven't we met any bright aliens yet? This conundrum became known as Fermi's Paradox.

Since then, the paradox has become ever more baffling. Paleontology has shown that organic life evolved quickly after the Earth's surface cooled and became life-hospitable. Given simple life forms, evolution shows progressive trends toward larger bodies, brains and social complexity. Evolutionary psychology has revealed several credible paths from simpler social minds to human-level creative intelligence. So evolving intelligence seems likely, given a propitious habitat—and astronomers think such habitats are common. Moreover, at least 150 extrasolar planets have been identified in the last few years, suggesting that life-hospitable planets orbit most stars. Yet 40 years of intensive searching for extra-terrestrial intelligence have yielded nothing: no radio signals, no credible spacecraft sightings, no close encounters of any kind.

www.seedmagazine.com...

I read this, and it seems that it is an almost perfect possibility.

[edit on 28-9-2006 by Augmenter]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Yet 40 years of intensive searching for extra-terrestrial intelligence have yielded nothing: no radio signals, no credible spacecraft sightings, no close encounters of any kind.

Seriously? We don't even know every animal on our own planet. All the 40 years of "intensive searching" has proven about possible outside intelligence is: they might not use traditional radio signals and haven't shown themselves overtly (that we know of).

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Fermi rebuke..

www.futurehi.net...

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Also read this on the true SIZE of the universe..if you can POSSIBLY fathom..it makes my mind ache..

www.futurehi.net...

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Dude the aliens don't want to contact us because we're the equivalent to intergalactic white trash. When they roll through our solar system they got rules like -don't make eye contact with them earth people cause then they'll wanna talk to us. Dealing with these lowlife earth morons is really annoying. Maybe they don't think we're intelligent life, so they don't contact us. Maybe being seen hanging out with humans is really embarassing to cultures of the intergalactic community.

Those are my thought on this issue. I have hope for man, but dude...we sure do some retarded stuff.

Humans=Intergalactic Dee Dee Dee

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Its not that they dont wanna "hang out with us" we just hav'nt evolved enough to be able to "see" or understand them yet.

Read what I just posted! (does anyone read peoples posts or just post & run!??)

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
psh well i think everyones seen ET?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I agree about us not being evolved enough to figure out their transmisions or to understand the cold hard realities of intergalactic society. But it's possible that we're just annoying neighbors who they seek to avoid like I try to avoid some of my neighbors for the same reasons.

I read your posts and agree, but there could be simple reasons they don't want to do business with us-like our species general hostile temprement.

I've also thought that maybe we aren't really that smart. We could be relative to the intelligence of species from other intergalactic civilizations as being close to smart but not enough to join the club, somewhere between animal and intelligent. Maybe we just think we're smart because we can build things and have a rudimentry understanding of some of the univers. But we could be like ants to them. Scurring around building our stupid stuff, the same way we smirk at ants. We admire their ingenuity but thet're still ants. We could fit into that catagory on a Galactic scale.

Smart animal,but not truly intelligent. Maybe they have judged us and we will never be destined to join them. Hitler was our first broadcast into deep space after all.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Wildone,

nice post, very interesting link. What about this;

In our universe what if we "earthlings" are the first "intelligent" species in our galaxy? What if it is up to "us" to grow and develop into something better than we are? What if we are the ones to be the "leaders" of our universe? What if we as a civilization must grow for another thousand years before we can move faster than the speed of light to travel the great distances between stars? Or before we can make or discover a wormhole to get us to another solar system? What if it is up to us to discover alien races? What if it is up to us to overcome every obstacle there is about life; desease, racism, petty bickering, poverty....etc. What if it is up to us to go out into the universe and discover races of aliens who are younger than us?

Something to think about....

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Evolutionary psychology? I understand it as a field but i would hardly call it mature enough to base predictions for other planets upon it.

top topics

join