It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Straight Edge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Straight Edge is somethign I've been interested in for a few years now, and was pretty curious as to what other members thought about it, or if they had ever even heard of it.

Straight edge (sometimes abbreviated to sXe, SxE or "Edge") is a commitment, closely associated with hardcore punk music, to abstinence from tobacco, alcohol, any recreational drug use and also abstain from promiscuous sexual behavior (Those who follow the first two but not the last one are considered poison free, but are not considered to be straight edge). Some also abstain from any form of drug, including caffeine and painkillers, and in many cases the consumption of animal products.

en.wikipedia.org...

Many people may remember the news articles about the violence associated with straight edge, and I was just curious as to what people thought about all of this? Have you heard of this? Do you have opinions on it? I wanna hear them!

I personally claimed edge when I was about 17, and stayed edge up until late last year. I very recently decided to return to a drug free lifestyle. This rekindled my interest in this, and made me a bit curious as to what every one else has to say about the subject.

so come on!

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good for you to want to be healthy. I hardly ever drink, I've never done any drug, never smoked but I do eat crappy.

I never called myself a S.E. but I understand how they think.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Straight Edge is just another form of fascism - its members are so strict about what you can and can't do - it certainly goes against the ethos of a lot of other anarcho -punk bands

I've met a couple of 'Straight Edge' Punks, totally self righteous -although more than half are probably just jumping on the bandwagon, trying to be cool

Music with rules? Sounds like a dangerous cult to me

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I personally do not use any mind-altering substances (tobacco, alcohol, other drugs) and do not engage in promiscuous sex, but I have grown very disillusioned with the term "straight-edge". The whole vegan/straight edge/political/whatever crap has grown so hypocritical and is full of bigotry and hate. I hear stories of kids getting confronted violently by "sraight-edgers" just for stuff like eating meat or supporting big corporations who own factory farms. If only they were smart enough to realize this isn't how change and progress is achieved
It is another elitist trend for kids who can't think for themselves. I found this page pretty amusing, as it pokes some serious fun at the hypocracy within the "movement".

join