It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Would Be Part of an Updated "Profiles of Courage"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
After reading former President Kennedy's book, Profiles in Courage (1955) a while back, I've always wondered who would make up the pages of such a book if it were written today.

Pessimistically, I think that there are many examples during the present age of those aren't fit to be among the pages of such a classic. However, I know out there people exist that could be taken as political heroes who have faced tremendous odds in fighting for either the good of society or the country.

So, I turn this question to you:

Who would be part of an updated version of "Profiles of Courage"?

Are there any modern dignitaries that fit the bill today?

[edit on 28-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Clearly, Dubya Bush belongs in it. No matter what anyone thinks about his politics, everyone agrees that pretty much everyone hates him, and yet he goes one. Thats what Kennedy's book was all about.

The current pope, for example, wouldn't get a place in it, because, despite taking an initial stand, once the pressure mounted, he caved to it.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Clearly, Dubya Bush belongs in it. No matter what anyone thinks about his politics, everyone agrees that pretty much everyone hates him, and yet he goes one. Thats what Kennedy's book was all about.

Courage in the face of adversity, is it that simple? Is there any regard given to whether the repercussions of your courage costs lives of another as oppossed to just taking the brunt of it yourself?

The current pope, for example, wouldn't get a place in it, because, despite taking an initial stand, once the pressure mounted, he caved to it.

Perhaps he was considering the question posed above? Is being humble not courageous? Not like it matters, because the Pope never actually apologized.

Ceci - I hate to admit this is one of the books I haven't gotten around to. Can you give a list of who was profiled in this book?

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally quoted by Relentless
Ceci - I hate to admit this is one of the books I haven't gotten around to. Can you give a list of who was profiled in this book?

Sure, Relentless. I will list the original men covered in Profiles of Courage(1955):

1)John Quincy Adams
2)Daniel Webster
3)Thomas Hart Benton
4)Sam Houston
5)Edmund G. Ross
6)Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar
7)George Norris
8)Robert A. Taft

Covered in the "Other Men of Political Courage" Chapter:

9)Albert Jeremiah Beveridge
10)Oscar Wilde Underwood
11)Andrew Johnson
12)John Tyler
13)John Caldwell Calhoun
14) John Peter Altgeld
15)Charles Evan Hughes
16)John Adams

I hope that this helps.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Clearly, Dubya Bush belongs in it. No matter what anyone thinks about his politics, everyone agrees that pretty much everyone hates him, and yet he goes one.

As much as I might not like to admit it, and as much as George W. Bush is a figure that is generally thought of as a negative figure during these turbulent times, I would have to agree with Nygdan.

If George W. Bush was genuinely "his own man" and not a puppet of industry, then yes, I would have to say that George W. Bush is a figure that might be included in an updated Profiles in Courage.

It would take genuine courage to face the derision and anomysity that President Bush presently faces in order to stay true to his values and principles. If G.W.Bush sincerely believed that the course of action he is presently taking is, in his heart, the "right" thing to do, then yes, he should be a Profile in Courage.

Of course, there are a lot of "if's" in my statement. But I feel compelled to give him the benefit of the doubt. I might not agree with the President's actions and I might not even like him however, IF he genuinely felt that what he was doing was what he truly believed was the best for this nation then I have to give him my vote.

A man doesn't always have to be right to be courageous. Courage is often reflected by one's steadfast belief in one's own principles and heartfelt beliefs. There were dozens of men before the Wright Brothers, for instance, who gave their own lives for their beliefs that they were correct in their assumptions about the nature of flight. They might have been wrong but, still, they were brave.

Others that I would include in an "updated" version of these Profiles in Courage would include President Ronald Reagan, Martin Luther King, Robert F. Kennedy and President Harry Truman. All of these men faced criticism, adversity and even death clinging to their principles and values.

new topics

top topics

join