It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Sclerosis/medicinal cannibis trials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Mixed outcome for cannabis tests on muscular sclerosis
Thu Nov 6, 8:03 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - The first major trial to see whether cannabis could help sufferers of muscular sclerosis (MS) has yielded mixed results, doctors report in Saturday's issue of the British medical weekly The Lancet.
The test sought to probe anecdotal evidence that cannabis could help ease muscular spasms, stiffness and pains amongst people with this crippling motor-neuron disease.

But the much-awaited outcome of the trial gives a mixed picture, suggesting that cannabis has no effect on spasticity although it may help mobility and pain control.
story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20031107/hl_afp/health_cannabis_031107010305

Interesting. Remember that it has the same effect (some pain control and thus mobility) in cancer patients.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
1 more reason I say cannabis is a gift from "God"

I read in another thread it also can shrink tumors.

Cmon and legalize it, or atleast decriminalize it!

No more false propaganda about my cherished friend.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I think it was about 15-20 years ago, I saw a guy get interviewed on TV who was prescribed cannabis to treat his glaucoma...It seems that the cannabis would enlarge the blood vessles in his eyes, thereby relieving the blood pressure that glaucoma caused.

Two specific points I distinctly remember (even from that long ago):
1: Since it was legally prescribed & provided for him, he never had to take the chance of a stree-dealer cutting it with junk, poison or stronger (& more addictive) drugs...In short, the *quality* of his "stash" was assured.
2: It was even legal for him to eat dinner at a restaraunt, then light one up, even in public...At the very worst, all they could do was tell him to leave but they couldn't get him arrested.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
i HIGHLY doubt the story about some guy being able to light a j anywhere would be true. look at how hard it is to get any kind of medical prescription let alone govt. allowing it in this day.

anyway this is GREAT that they are atleast giving it a chance, i hope that they dont censor the results, good or bad.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
oh, the test is over already... well yea...

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
i HIGHLY doubt the story about some guy being able to light a j anywhere would be true.

I *did* mention that I saw that interview about 15-20 years ago...If anything the laws concerning cannabis have only gotten stricter since then.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:51 AM
link   
More reason why it should be legalized. I've read different reports that it helps in pain relief in illnesses such as AIDS, cancer etc...

All of this nonsense because they can't tax it.

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here are some more links on the medicinal use of cannabis:

www.idmu.co.uk...
www.norml.org.nz...

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.scoop.co.nz...

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
All of this nonsense because they can't tax it.

One thing that most of those who oppose it don't realize...If legalized for medical purposes, it can be monitored, regulated & taxed (& even charged from insurance companies). As it is, they can't even stop distribution of of crap that could kill because of illegal dealers cutting it with poisons.

It's *because* it's illegal is why dealership attracts the criminal element...If it were legal, then at least the dealer can be monitored & regulated (& taxed).

It's the same way with prostitution: If it were legalized, then the hookers could be certain to get regular medical checkups, they could get wages instead of addictive drugs that make them slaves to their pimps...etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 04:52 PM
link   
... marijuana is not cut laced or otherwise tampered with as people see it. think of it this way: it costs a dealer 250 dollars to buy and ounce. said dealer would cut this ounce into grams to be sold. now, it costs 250 to buy X amount of X additive drug. if said dealer sells a normal gram for 10 dollars, then he would have to up it to 20 dollars to continue to recieve the same profit. its not cost effective, considering people are not going to buy his "product" for a higher price when it is still about the same quality as other dealer's "product". the perpetuation of the myth of lacing is much of what keeps this near-harmless plant illegal. deny ignorance.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Most of the cutting of cannabis isn't with other drugs...It's done with things like oregeno or other herbs, perhaps even small twigs & other crushed leaves...Sometimes even with ragweed, which has a very similar smell when burned.

If legalized, then the quality could be regulated & monitored, so as to avoid cutting such as that.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
Most of the cutting of cannabis isn't with other drugs...It's done with things like oregeno or other herbs, perhaps even small twigs & other crushed leaves...Sometimes even with ragweed, which has a very similar smell when burned.

If legalized, then the quality could be regulated & monitored, so as to avoid cutting such as that.

hahaha......no offense but uh....i know there is no oregeno in anything i buy lol

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:48 AM
link   
"Television talk show host Montel Williams was fined $100 after authorities at Detroit Metropolitan Airport found him with marijuana paraphernalia. Williams, who has multiple sclerosis, has been prescribed medicinal marijuana to treat the disease.

www.mlive.com.../base/news-8/1068008340247640.xml

damn them

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I know that I'm not hurtin'.

top topics

join