It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slave Descendants Try to Revive Lawsuit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Rockpuck, how little you really know about the history of African-Americans in America.

But hey, don't forget Eminem and Limp Bizkit. Not to mention Vanilla Ice. I guess they rank up there in your view of American history.

And again, what monies did the African tribes receive compared to the slavers?

[edit on 28-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Right C, so little. I should take some lessons from you. I challenge your view and im an idiot. Do you admit then that blacks have no racist feelings towards whites?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
We're not talking about racist views, Rockpuck. But we are talking about slavery and reparations. That's what the topic is supposed to be about. At least, the last time I looked.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Give it up RP

I just proved her wrong in her assumption of no one supporting her and she ignored it.

Difficult to debate with someone that just makes things up as they go along.

Semper

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What was proven wrong? I agreed that the decendants of people committing crimes did work here in indentured servitude. But they shouldn't be pitied just as African Blacks shouldn't be--if that's what the crowd wants.

And yes, there are a little bit more support out there, but not everyone. Face it. Blacks don't get empathy. Not when the pictures show their welts or how they were packed in ships.

Instead, the only thing that gets spread around is how much they compare to pimps and ho's and that the groups that advocated for them are little more than racist organizations. Not to mention the fact that Blacks don't deserve one red cent, but the decendents of criminals, outcasts and decomissioned redcoats do.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Fine, il leave it at im an Irish American whos family imigrated after America formed, my family never owned a slave, we fought for the union, and the county my families farm was located in PA was an Irish Catholic community with almost no blacks.

How am I responsible for your ancestors problems? You classify all whites as the same and show no regard for their actual history, where they came from, and their ETHNICITY. Your ignorance blinds you from that, and for the reasons I have stated I will NEVER pay anyone money becuase they feel a hundred years ago a white man did them wrong. That is the way of life, that is human nature, learn to accept it. What makes it so hard to know your ancestors where enslaved? Is it the fact they where slaves.. or because your where not dominate, that whites where stronger and opressed you? Im Irish American, I hold no ill feelings against the Vikings who pillaged my ancestors Island many centuries ago.. I hold no ill feelings for the English opresion that hadnt ended untill a few decades ago.. it did not effect me. Self responsibility, no one owes you a thing.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

What was proven wrong? I agreed that the decendants of people committing crimes did work here in indentured servitude. But they shouldn't be pitied just as African Blacks shouldn't be--if that's what the crowd wants.

You said:

And Semper, truthfully now, how many do you count as plenty? A few of us have taken a stand, but the majority have no sympathy for Black people. I suggest you reread the entire thread.

The Truth is;

OK Ceci

I took your advice.

30 Posts in defense of reparations or a single view of Black Racism Only, or against posters that espoused an opposite view.

29 Posts directly against Reparations or contending a view of many races having experienced similar circumstances.

13 Posts either non committal or referencing another issue.

Looks pretty even to me.

Blacks are not always the only Victims. At least not on this thread as the numbers don't lie.

Semper

At least at the time I posted the truth!

Semper

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The way I see it is, how can you hold people, or companies (the original article was about a group sueing specific companies), responsible for acts or actions that took place over 100 somewhat years ago?

The people in these companies, I'm sure, work real hard to make their company money, and are NOW at risk of loosing what THEY worked for because 100 somewhat years ago the company they are working for now had dealings in the slave trade that was legal at that time?

THIS IS CRAZY!!!

How can you hold people responsible TODAY, and make THEM pay money in reparations, for things that were done by people who have died a long time ago.

This "politically correct" thing just drives me crazy!

[edit on 28/9/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yes, the but the subject is slavery of African-Americans and the lawsuit against corporations who endorsed this practice. Not to mention, the money they made off of it for many, many years.

Now, what does the history of criminals, decomissioned soldiers, prostitutes (if you believe Daniel Defoe's journalistic "novel" Moll Flanders), and outcasts have to do with that?

Nothing.

I just see your stand as a failure to truly understand the depravity of slavery and why people should even try to get America to recognize the error of its ways. I find it appalling that people will use any sort of information to cloud over the fact that African-Americans were treated horribly. And they continue to face the same lack of respect with diatribes of trying to lessen or even erase their past history.

That is what you are doing.

----------------------------------------------------

If there were honest efforts to recognize the institution of slavery by the government as it is, then perhaps we wouldn't be in this quagmire. Sadly, if people don't understand what slavery did to this country now, when will they ever learn?

And talk about politically correct. Tell that to those who endorse the "revisionist history". I'd love to see the photographs in which "indentured slaves" were whipped badly at Master's hands, not to mention his Mistress.

Where's the slave narratives?!?

[edit on 29-9-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Abstract indeed your continent "mother Africa" was the best example to all of humanity in your most glorious empires.

Blacks have made your own culture here in America as well, it constitutes pimps, slappin hoes, beotches, FUBU, Gangsta rap, flaunting the N word, disrespect to women and no regard for the "Family" I knew a family of blacks that grew up down the street from me, 2 sisters and 3 brothers, not one had the same father.

Is that ALL of blacks, no not by far, but that is how your represented, would "mother Africa" be proud?

And you should no, no man will ever get my money. Il leave it at that. I don't give a damn what color you might be, I never enslaved you I in no way hold you back, it is not ME who "forces" kids to drop out of school because BET made them think they are all gangstas, it is not me that "forces" them to join gangs and be "opressed" by society. Start with some self respect and stop blaming others for personal failures.

Ceci, who started the slave trade? Dutch did actually, not British and they recieved them through other African tribes that took over another tribe.

And you should also note that groups like KKK and NAACP are in no way the same.

Sir, first of all you believe too much of what you see on television and no one even wears FUBU anymore, lol! No you personally may not be the cause of the problems my culture has, but your peers have alot to do with it. This capitalistic empire that oppresses my people purposely, in order to increase their profit and widen the gap between the rich and poor. Your rich politicans and their pork belly budgets. The privatized prison systems that snatch our youths off the streets for their cheap labor.

But you no what enough pointing fingers, whites are right about that, my people to point figures to much but intially it is the West that has my people in this postion. Presently it is us. The situation as I analyze it; my grandfathers, fathers, and brothers, opened the door for my people to strive and prosper through the civil rights movements. We as a people have yet to take advantage of those rights given. You know what though, we are going to change that. We are awakening as a people once more, and utilize our resources we must. If this country is truely a demrocracy than there shouldn't be any problems with us doing so. Don't be fooled by what you see on TV. Don't be suprised when you see roses growing from the concrete. Keep your dollars. Empires rise and they fall, your dollar will be worthless soon. The Earth is cleansing herself of her impurities, we "the so called blacks" the cochroaches of the world will still be here, to reclaim what is rightfully ours. True History is priceless.

As for another comment above. Isn't common practice that when a nation plunders another they also destroy their knowledge base, libraries, museums, universities, tomb and pyramid paintings. Much of pre-european African history was destroyed in war. Our history was stolen from us, now Eurocentric Scholars make up their own versions of our his-story. Maybe if Africa wasn't destroyed by the likes of Alexander the Plunder, Napolean the Treacherous and many more we would have better documentation of African History.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally quoted by Rockpuck
Fine, il leave it at im an Irish American whos family imigrated after America formed, my family never owned a slave, we fought for the union, and the county my families farm was located in PA was an Irish Catholic community with almost no blacks.

It shows with your disrespect to African-Americans and their history. And hey, the Union Army weren't that nice to blacks. Did you not see the movie, Glory? If not, there's many books detailing the history of the Civil War era regiment of all Black soldiers led by a white Union CO.

How am I responsible for your ancestors problems?

By the privileges still invoked by the dominant culture via the repercussions of "Jim Crow Ettiquette" and slavery.

You classify all whites as the same and show no regard for their actual history, where they came from, and their ETHNICITY.

You classify all Blacks as the same. Are you any less ignorant?

Your ignorance blinds you from that, and for the reasons I have stated I will NEVER pay anyone money becuase they feel a hundred years ago a white man did them wrong.

Not one white man, my dear. The American government, not to mention a bunch of European countries did us wrong for over four-hundred years.

That is the way of life, that is human nature, learn to accept it.

Why should we if we are getting the same disrespect now as we have had then?

What makes it so hard to know your ancestors where enslaved?

It's not hard for me. It's hard for the rest of you to understand the depth of horror and depravity that slavery had done to African-Americans in America.

Is it the fact they where slaves.. or because your where not dominate, that whites where stronger and opressed you?

Oh dear. We're getting into that thinking that dominated another country after the Weimar republic by a charismatic, fascist dictator, aren't we?

Im Irish American, I hold no ill feelings against the Vikings who pillaged my ancestors Island many centuries ago.. I hold no ill feelings for the English opresion that hadnt ended untill a few decades ago... it did not effect me. Self responsibility, no one owes you a thing.

I'm glad for you. But I think that people ought to owe others of different races a little respect, should they not?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Have any of you ever been to Africa?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I find it appalling that people will use any sort of information to cloud over the fact

Do you consider your behavior in posting incorrect information about the thread appalling? Were you attempting to cloud over the facts?

Or is that acceptable to you because it pushes your agenda?

Semper

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
What does going to Africa have to do with slave reparations and the lawsuit against the corporations?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Semper, what does my behavior and posts have to do with the topic of this thread?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have been to guinea Bissau, Angola, the Congo since I was borne and love going there and I am white and my parents have stores there. I love when people say about a history they have no idea about travel the world and let me know what you think then, be proud of who you are and know your history learn from your history but stop blaming your history if you have not done anything to improve it yourself.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Good for you. But I still don't know what it has to do with slave reparations and the lawsuit.

But you aren't the brain trust on what people have done to improve their history. It sounds to me of Colonialist thinking gone mad.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If every society sued for every wrong that was done to them then the Koreans would seud for the sweat shops in America the Mexicans, the portuges the Irish some of whom came to the Americas not of free will but by force or where taken from there country by scrupulous people slavery still exists in the U.S.A just has another face

[edit on 28-9-2006 by cmaracing]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yes, but the main point is the slavery of African-Americans by their own country in which a whole set of laws were derived and maintained until forty-two years ago. And then, there are laws on the books that still have to be voted on by Congress every twenty-five years.

And you were saying?

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Exactly the same as what you have been posting.

I don't think that anyone is denying or even minimizing the atrocities committed against Blacks coming out of Africa and Slaves in America.

What most of us are trying to say is; why do you consider Blacks to be the only victims? You say that you don't, but when ever anyone brings up another race or segment of people that have been treated badly, you either ignore it, claim it is revisionist history or accuse them of not understanding your plight.

Blacks have been the recipient's of massive social programs and reform movements, what other subjugated race has that claim? Yet you still espouse the "Victim" mentality on every post you make. The Jews were slaves for HUNDREDS of years more than Blacks.

I will not say that Blacks have not been a victim, but have not others? Why are the only reparations being spoken of by you are those for descendants of slaves? We almost eradicated the Native Americans, you said that you support reparations for them, and then go into another fulmination over no one understanding your victimhood.

You will not discuss "White" people that have suffered similarly, or if you do, it is a sentence and then back to being the victim. What is so wrong with some peoples opinion that because those that committed these atrocities are long dead, reparations are not proper? Why is it that their opinions are racist and your against them is not?

This is exactly what happened on your thread. You began playing the victim and not accepting anyone else's opinion until there were only two people left that even mildly dissented.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the fact that someone has been to Africa is perfectly in line with this thread. Unlike a lot of the other posts.

And what is a person of color? I'm tan. That is a color.

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join