It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Hostage situation in Colorado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Evidently since noon today a high school has been held hostage by a active shooter with a bomb. Not sure of all the details, but shots were fired, although no injuries have been reported. Almost six hours elasped before the teens were released after the building was cleared by swat I beleive.

The hostage taker, was down to two students, reported as girls and it was uncertain his motives even after all the hours passed during the crisis.

I havn't any sources online as I watched this develope "live" on CNN.

Sort of was surprised no current threads had mentioned this, maybe there werre, however I havn`t been able to access ATS as it had another 1080 error or something.

This happened when already this month a bagpack was found on a different schools property , some thing is going on.

edit: title fixed

[edit on 9/27/2006 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
news.sky.com...

seems he man is now dead

link2

BAILEY, Colo. (AP) -- A middle-aged gunman walked into the high school in this mountain town Wednesday, fired at least two shots and took six people hostage before the situation ended with his death, authorities said.

Lance Clem, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety, said the gunman was dead, but had no immediate details on his death. He also did not know the condition of two young girls who were being held hostage after the other hostages were released from Platte Canyon High School, but a Denver hospital confirmed that it was treating someone in critical condition from the scene.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by asala]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Oh man, This is sad. Seems that the last girl was shot in the head. She was taken via flight for life and later died in the hospital. I've lived here in Aurora Colorado most of my life and after the Columbine shooting, this hits home. I still live here and this hurts, it really does. What a coward this shooter was.

www.thedenverchannel.com...

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Slash]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Its a terrible event, And i feel for all involved in this,

And gosh living there must really make you mad that this happend,

I pray this brave girl makes it,

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
She didn't make it, she's dead.

Heres another link. news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Oh how awfull

her poor family, My thoughts are with them,

Is there any idea what this mans motive may have been?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's unknown at this time, from what I've read, he's 35 years old. Heres some of the details,
"The hostage situation started when the gunman walked into the school at about 11:40 a.m., said he had a bomb in a backpack and fired several shots inside a classroom. Six female students in a second-floor English classroom were held hostage as the school went into "code white" and Park County deputies rushed to the scene, evacuating everyone from the building.

Jefferson County SWAT team and bomb team was called in to help. The gunman released four students one by one, negotiating with authorities through them by telling the students to tell deputies to back off.

"Most of the demands strictly were, they wanted us to back off," Wegener said."

"He didn't really look like a student, although he did because he was wearing all of our school stuff. But when he turned around and he looked at me, he had long gray hair sticking out of his hoodie. He was wearing his hood up, so it was really hard, and he said, 'Hey.' And I was like, 'Hi.' He asked me what class I was going to. I was like, 'I'm going to English I,' and he said, 'You're lucky,' " said Kirby. "And I was like, 'It's English!' And he was like, 'I loved English.' And I was like, 'I don't.' And there was an awkward silence and then I just went to my class. And then like five minutes later, we heard the big boom.
Tom Grigg said his 16-year-old son, Cassidy, was in a classroom when the man walked in, fired a gun and began telling some students to leave and others -- all girls -- to stay.

"He stood them up at the blackboard," Grigg said. "He hand-picked the ones he wanted to get out."

The gunman told Cassidy to leave, but he said he wanted to stay with the girls, Grigg said.

"The guy flipped him around and put the gun in his face and said, 'It would be in your best interest to leave,"' Grigg said.
The gunman has not been identified. Authorities are hoping that once they clear the school parking lot and students and staff go to retrieve their vehicles, the gunman's car would still be in the parking lot.

Authorities say they still don't know his motive for invading the school and taking specifically female students hostage.

"We have almost no information on this suspect. We don't know who he is, we don't know what he wants ... We'd like to know what he wants," Kelley had said, earlier in the day."

If you ask me, this guy was a physho. Though as this just happened today, I'm sure more details will surface as the days, months, and maby years go by. Much like the columbine shooting. But what gets me, is that he was 35! Was it a long standing grudge he had with the school? Was it because he was involved with another student? More details are to follow I'm sure. Though this wasn't as bad as Columbine, a life was still lost, 2 if you want to count the phycho.
I'll keep reading and try to keep you all posted. This has broken my heart and others for sure.

Heres another link from another local station.
9 news.com

From more of what I've read, this high school was right next to a middle school, seperated by a wall. I could see this as added confusion to the cops and swat team involved. I'm looking into this as much as I can and will try to keep you all posted.

mod edit: shortened link

[edit on 28-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I read just read the story
and it shocked me big time. Stories like this are horrible and really makes you wonder what is going on in our society

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Very sad story, Being 16 myself I know that 16 is entirly to early to die.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There are more details being released regarding this tragedy.

"He did traumatize and assault our children," Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said. "I'll only say that it's sexual in nature."

Wegener identified the suspect as Duane R. Morrison, 53, and said was he from the Denver area but had been living in his car. He said investigators had not established any previous connection between him and the hostages.

State records showed he was arrested in July in the west Denver suburb of Lakewood on a charge of obstructing police in another suburb. He was also arrested for larceny and marijuana possession in 1973. news.yaho o.com

new topics

top topics

join