It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Administration Blocked Report Linking Global Warming and Hurricane Activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Further evidence is emerging regarding the current US Administrations unspoken policy of whitewashing and withholding evidence of the true impact of Global warming on our environment. This report was published today in the prestigious science journal Nature. Another report by the NOAA that was due to be released in May of this year, was not released as originally planned as a press kit. Following recent scientific research within the last fortnight from NASA that has shown a link between global warming and increased hurricane activity.

www.washingtonpost.com
WASHINGTON -- A government agency blocked release of a report that suggests global warming is contributing to the frequency and strength of hurricanes, the journal Nature reported Tuesday.

In the new case, Nature said weather experts at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration _ part of the Commerce Department _ in February set up a seven-member panel to prepare a consensus report on the views of agency scientists about global warming and hurricanes.

In May, when the report was expected to be released, panel chair Ants Leetmaa received an e-mail from a Commerce official saying the report needed to be made less technical and was not to be released, Nature reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I am far from surprised. The current administration has already got rid of one IPCC chairman because his science did not fulfill their policy. This is just showing humankind how this government feels for the truth. This is not the first time this has happened with this issue. I feel that we treat any claims about the climate from this Administration the same as we treat information on tobacco harm from Cigarette manufacturers. In fact they actually use the same Media Companies and the actual same Lobbyists! Its disgusting and making me more angry by the day.

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com
timesofindia.indiatimes.com
www.sci-tech-today.com
www.washingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
As I stated in the above story this is not a new approach from the current US administration.

There can be no denying now that the current administration is not concerned with the reality of the situation concerning this most important topic. There is now a very real and apparent historical precedents for the actual misinterpretation and pressurising the scientific community on this issue.

The event which confirmed this for me even though I had very serious concerns before happened over one year ago, and IMHO was enough for the immediate removal of the current administration from office. These people are actually playing "God" and have no concern for the very planet that supports all life on earth. I can think of no reason except for the current administrations links to the Oil industry and self profiteering to be behaving in this matter in a consistent and obviously blatant in our faces way.

This is what I am talking about. The IPCC or the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC which is a Independent and Unbiased group of scientists of the highest calibre trying to find the facts and truth on global warming has been practically ignored, and slated by paid "Scientists" from the current administration or the oil lobby groups. The previous chairman of the group was forced out by the Bush Administration as he did not comply to there mumbo jumbo Mary poppins scientific view on this issue. I quote below the previous chairman’s view on the current risks that we face due to this problem.

Dr Rajendra Pachauri, the chairman of the official Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), told an international conference attended by 114 governments in Mauritius this month that he personally believes that the world has "already reached the level of dangerous concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere" and called for immediate and "very deep" cuts in the pollution if humanity is to "survive".

Well this obviously did not go down very well if you money and friends just want to sell more oil therefore:

His comments rocked the Bush administration - which immediately tried to slap him down - not least because it put him in his post after Exxon, the major oil company most opposed to international action on global warming, complained that his predecessor was too "aggressive" on the issue.

Well like Saddam fund them support them when it suits you then try and destroy them if they dont:

A memorandum from Exxon to the White House in early 2001 specifically asked it to get the previous chairman, Dr Robert Watson, the chief scientist of the World Bank, "replaced at the request of the US". The Bush administration then lobbied other countries in favour of Dr Pachauri - whom the former vice-president Al Gore called the "let's drag our feet" candidate, and got him elected to replace Dr Watson, a British-born naturalized American, who had repeatedly called for urgent action.

Source Independent On Sunday UK

This as I stated above then shows consistent, historical and blatant disregard for the truth on this issue. They just keep doing it. Everyone still falls for the spin and lies and talks in terms of well its natural!!. The only nature being shown by this is the nature of Lying, Murder (as that’s whats happening to the planet and all that live on it!) and Manipulation and Bullying.

Why would these experts in their fields be lying? Whats their Motive? there is none except a ruined career and ridicule, they get paid on doing the science not what the science says.

The Motive of the Current Bush and Oil CO Administration is obvious.

Lets look at the Truth also not the spin, about where most of the people pick up there "Science and Truth" on this issue from the TV sets and ads etc and some WWW sites out there:

Among the organisations that have been funded by Exxon are such well-known websites and lobby groups as TechCentralStation, the Cato Institute and the Heritage Foundation. Some of those on the list have names that make them look like grassroots citizens' organisations or academic bodies: the Centre for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, for example. One or two of them, such as the Congress of Racial Equality, are citizens' organisations or academic bodies, but the line they take on climate change is very much like that of the other sponsored groups. While all these groups are based in America, their publications are read and cited, and their staff are interviewed and quoted, all over the world.

Well theres a surprise!:

But they do not stop there. The chairman of a group called the Science and Environmental Policy Project is Frederick Seitz. Seitz is a physicist who in the 1960s was president of the US National Academy of Sciences. In 1998, he wrote a document, known as the Oregon Petition, which has been cited by almost every journalist who claims that climate change is a myth.
well ive seen lots of that rubbish about! and here too!

Anyone with a degree was entitled to sign it. It was attached to a letter written by Seitz, entitled Research Review of Global Warming Evidence. The lead author of the "review" that followed Seitz's letter is a Christian fundamentalist called Arthur B Robinson. He is not a professional climate scientist. It was co-published by Robinson's organisation - the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine - and an outfit called the George C Marshall Institute, which has received $630,000 from ExxonMobil since 1998. The other authors were Robinson's 22-year-old son and two employees of the George C Marshall Institute. The chairman of the George C Marshall Institute was Frederick Seitz.
I suppose the Chairmans of the IPCC were being funded by GreenPeace for similar amounts for their Science!

As usual 10,000 of this garbage was then circulated and is still being posited today by people who have no grasp of the subject. In addition the Company involved as well as Exxon was the tobacco company Philip Morris !! Well of course lets trust them on this issue eh? They created reputable institutions such as the |Institute of Sound Science!!! the biggest lie in history!!

Guardian

WAKE UP PEOPLE
Elf

[edit on 28-9-2006 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
So... if global warming is a lie or that its caused by interstellar dust clouds as some ostriches on here claim.... why is the Bush administration so damned and determined to hide all evidences of it?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
So... if global warming is a lie or that its caused by interstellar dust clouds as some ostriches on here claim.... why is the Bush administration so damned and determined to hide all evidences of it?

Misdirection and distraction.

To prevent people from asking the important question:

What is the Bush administration doing about it, to protect the American people, at least?

oops

[edit on 28-9-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Lazarus the Long made a GREAT post about this topic here.

It's worth scrolling down to read it.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Yep Confuse them with facts and dazzle em with BS. Those are the key components to both Rovian politics and the Exxon/Mobil campiagn against global warming education.

And there is just enough confusion on the issue to pull it off too.

Yes the earth's temp. does vary and yes we do go through interstellar clouds, both of which contribute to either a warming or a cooling trend. BUT they do not contribute to the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere at the rate that we have been seeing. Yes CO2 will be released by a variety of ways most notibly by its release as the permafrost thaws, but the permafrost has to be thawing first and that has only started happening in the past few decades. It is not a spike in temp. here or there that is the issue, it is a consistant increase (or drop) across the board that causes the damage. It wasn't a cold winter or even a decade of cold winters that causes ice ages...it is a planet wide drop in temp. Same is true with global warming, it is not a hot summer here or there or even a string of them...it is a steady increase in the base temp, both in winter and summer that cause the change.

unfortunately Americans as a rule are as ignorant about science as they are about other religions or cultures and there are plenty of ostriches out there to pay heed to the liars and obstructors and the Karl Roves.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the link Sofi and good points very Succint Grover,

Well in the UK anyhow it seems that some people who have access to the information and know what they are on about are being more open about the whole issue of global warming:

The Current Environment Secretary in the UK government David Miliband, who was only appointed in a cabinet reshuffle some months ago has been very surprised by what he has learned in his new post. I quote:

something funny is going on with the weather

Well yes you could say that! and further:

He said he had thought he had been well-informed about climate change but had quickly been shocked by what he had learned since taking on the job.
he then said
"We should be quite scared - I'm more scared than I was five months ago but I'm also more hopeful"

So the politician responsible for all things to do with the environment in the UK is "Scared" by whats he learned, well you can join me there then David, but ive been scared about this for over a decade! and further just to confirm the general consensus of most sane rational people in society on this issue, and the TRUE independant non lobbied scientists and experts in this field to

People say there should be a debate about global warming. But I tell you the debate is over; the reckoning has begun. The truth is staring us in the face. Climate change is here, in our country; it is an issue for our generation as well as future generations; and those who deny it are the flat-earthers of the 21st century

BBC

Yippee thats the first time ive agreed with and supported a Politician in quite a while!!

Global Warming its real WAKE UP guys.

Regards

Elf.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Yes well the Gov't seems fine with CO2 emissions as long as people are happy and voting them back into office! Funny how that works eh?

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is the CO2 and various other greenhouse gases trap heat because of the wavelengths in which they are transmitted. Solar radiation is able to penetrate our atmosphere and greenhouse gases because it comes in shorter wavelengths. It then warms the planet and the heat which is re-radiated back to space becomes trapped or bounced back to Earth by the greenhouse gases because it's re-radiated in longer wavelengths.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
that is essentially correct. It creates a closed loop and as a matter of fact look at Venus as an example of the extreme case.

new topics

top topics

join