It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our third and most important survey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Time for another survey, and this one is important.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

More than any others, this one will help us understand how our members feel about ATS and what they would like to see added or changed.

Please help us by giving the best possible answers to the questions shown. As always, you'll receive 500 points for completing the survey, and we'll begin showing the results sometime tomorrow.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Done, quite an interesting survey. I not so much do them for the points, but to see what kind of changes take place on ATS after the survey results are shown and all ATS staff review the answers the members submit.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Great survey....I hope it continues to improve the community of ATS and BTS as a whole.

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Very good survey William.

I agree with you 10. The points are ok, but I prefer to see what comes of the results.

Keep the surveys coming William.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
yep, just done it myself, feedback is important ...

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thanks a third time, Big Willy.

The meat of Survey # 3 is at Q's 5 and 6. To me, whether or not the range of visitors to this site can co-exist in perfect harmony, and whether there should be less bells and whistles or more bells and whistles, don't even exist on the same continuum, so it will be interesting what results will be thrown up when people are forced to choose.

On the quality of posts, which really ought to be (in my opinion) everyone's primary concern:

1. There is not much point looking at people who make positive suggestions for how to improve quality and labelling them as if they are moaning about quality. That is not quality.

2. There are, however, some people who can make negative commentary about the state of things, but be on the side of the problem, offering no solutions.

Last time I made comments about post quality on another thread, with positive suggestions, I received two Applauses. I value the small reinforcements.

It is genuinely a difficult task to create satisfaction in a place which brings together teenagers and octogenarians, UFOlogists, people concerned for geopolitics, astral travellers and lonely people with no special interests. It seems to work OK for me, I'm in just one of those groups.

My strongest advice: Change nothing, except for more encouragement of quality posts.

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Is it just me or is it blank. Nothin came up.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I didn't have a problem with it dreamlandmafia.
Great survey William.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
It is genuinely a difficult task to create satisfaction in a place which brings together teenagers and octogenarians, UFOlogists, people concerned for geopolitics, astral travellers and lonely people with no special interests. It seems to work OK for me, I'm in just one of those groups.

My strongest advice: Change nothing, except for more encouragement of quality posts.

That's perfect! How do I applaud you?

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I am not going to lie..I take the surveys for the points
because I have no *real* valid issues with ATS..my issues are within myself on certain days when I really just shouldn't post that particular day..ya know?
Thanks William, Simon, mods and members..

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
good enough questionaire, easy to spot the control questions though , maybe it would be good to throw in some wild card questions. to get some off the wall ideas.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I haven't been around much at ATS in three days and probably some of you have noticed this. I have been the most prodigious poster for the past 6 weeks around here. Frankly I got a bit tired and needed a rest.

But I also was concerned with the spectre of censorship which is seemingly creeping into ATS. All this talk about quality and how to 'enforce it,' is starting to creep me out. Not that anyone has been able to define what quality is btw. Some think it is windy overblown language and length of the excess presented as thought, insight and real meat. I on the other hand can smell rotten meat a mile away. Suffice to say it is what you say and not always how you say it that matters. This ain't the poet's corner IMHO.

Leave it to the members to ensure quality as it is their job to tackle' each other and scrutinize that which they do not understand, do not agree with or believe. May the mods do their job of ensuring fair play prevails.' I think the creation of BTS took care of most of the distraction of idle and non-sensical chit chat that can be so annoying at times.

Also, may those members that have been around the block a time or two step up to the plate to ensure that the BS quotient here is limited. It is worth their while to do this. For those same people do not forget that opinion and bias do not pass for facts, nor do they necessarily qualify as rational debate. Furthermore, because we are talking about conspiracy there is one inescapable fact that being we cannot prove everything! How many times I have wanted to throttle certain types around here on that point I cannot begin to tell you!

Lastly, and hopefully this post meets some grand old members whims of quality notwithstanding, I wish to voice my sadness at the leaving of certain members that I believe had substantive things to say. The worst thing that can happen to ATS is for it to become a politically correct discussion board. That is a safe endeavour but again a very poor vehicle for providing discussion on the very subject for which this enterprise was founded.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Neo

In general, good stuff.

But to correct you on this point:

Originally posted by THENEO
Not that anyone has been able to define what quality is btw.

On another thread, I provided the following definition, and you read it and responded. You have forgotten, it seems, in your prodigiousness, which is not necessarily a component of mine, your or anyone's definition of quality.

"In summary, posters have the responsibility to check any new topic has not been covered off before (by at least looking at the Recent Posts), to not repost, to add a significant new dimension if they are initiating a topic on a widely covered issue.

In each post (when it's not Chit Chat), they need to make a point and support it with facts. They need to avoid insulting anyone for any reason whatsoever. They need to avoid the 'me too' post and add something that furthers the discussion by either rebutting an incorrect statement with more correct material and proof, or adding a new perspective, on topic, which hasn't been there before.

That's quality to me, my opinion. I have said all of that before. Again, it's just my opinion."

That was and remains my personal definition of quality, that you have read and responded to before. Sorry that you forgot.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Great Survey William, i really enjoy the board personally!

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
MA,

thank you for responding to my comments.

I have forgotten your post and have to agree that those suggestions, wholy appropriate and sensible btw, should be considered by all.

Yet, they do not define the idea of quality within a post itself for I can observe what you suggest and still post crap. Not that it is easy to define such an elusive thing, this idea of quality, I'm sure you would agree.

Let us agree though that your suggestions are a good starting point and for which many here have at differing times and places seconded your sentiments.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Neo

Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit intended.

I think many new members are influenced by what they see in their first couple of days. Nowehere in the terms of use or in any guidelines is "quality" or "good content" defined as expectations.

Therefore, if people see a tirade of insults, hissy-fits, lynchings or gang warfare, that creates one impression.

If they see short posts like this:

(insert previous post here)

they deem them acceptable.

If they see people on topic in topics of interest creating discussion, that creates another better impression.

It is hard to put the expectations of "quality" or "model citizenship" in one place, but I think it is good to express them in an easily accessible location, and to do it in other than the legalese of Terms Of Use.

Look at the current FAQ's, and see how minimal and to an extent obsolete the info is. But click on William's 'deny ignorance' blurb and you see a philosophy that can branch out into the expectations of a community - people accepting that this and quality and good citizenship are what ATS stands for.

"It won't happen over night, but it will happen". (Rachel Hunter).

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The live results are available for review.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
tell me how to help and i will be there

posted on Nov, 8 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Lastly, and hopefully this post meets some grand old members whims of quality notwithstanding, I wish to voice my sadness at the leaving of certain members that I believe had substantive things to say. The worst thing that can happen to ATS is for it to become a politically correct discussion board. That is a safe endeavour but again a very poor vehicle for providing discussion on the very subject for which this enterprise was founded.

I Wholeheartedly agree with all that was said, and could'nt have said it any better my self.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   

MA,

thank you for responding to my comments.

I have forgotten your post and have to agree that those suggestions, wholy appropriate and sensible btw, should be considered by all.

Yet, they do not define the idea of quality within a post itself for I can observe what you suggest and still post crap. Not that it is easy to define such an elusive thing, this idea of quality, I'm sure you would agree.

Let us agree though that your suggestions are a good starting point and for which many here have at differing times and places seconded your sentiments.

Pretty good ideas coming from an undercover cop!!!
Maybe I can give you more quality anti-bush posts with my real name and number.
"Obey-fight-god".......ha, what I want is your name and badge number buddy!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join