It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fajr-27 on display (pictures)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
starting today the 76mm caliber gun will now be on service and will be on current warships.

[im]http://media.farsnews.com/Media/8507/ImageReports/8507050406/3_8507050406_L600.jpg[/img][/im]

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Mehran]

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Anything special in the gun? Looks like a normal light naval gun to me... Range? Crew/is it automatic? Targeting systems?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
What does it bring to the table that it's predessesors or competition doesn't?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is clearly a reverse engineered OTO Melara 76mm which Iran already has on its 10 (3-5 inactive) Combattante (aka Kaman) missile boats.

It possibly has a different barrel with a new fume extractor and other minor build differences.

Compare the gun cradles and details:

In this photo you can even see the tops of two OTO-Melara style cowlings, suggesting that onboard a ship it will look almost exactly like the OTO-M 76mm.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by planeman]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
If it has similar performance/reliability to the OTO-M gun it is based on, then it will be a good if unremarkable weapon. But I think that this particular local production effort is a waste of Iran's time. Considering the limited number of units that will concievably be produced, it would have been cheaper to just buy in an equivilent gun from Russia or China.

The gun is too big to be employed on most of Iran's missile boats and torpedo boats. It could be retro-fitted in place of existing OTO-M 76mm weapons on Iran's 6 or so operational Kaman class missile boats, but at limited benefit.

I'm pretty sure Iran has no shortage of ammunition for it's British supplied 114mm Vickers Mk 8 main guns fitted to the Avland corvettes so there is no reason to replace these.

Therefore the only logical platforms for this weapon are any new larger missile boats (the much rumoured "Sina" which is reported to be based on the Combattante/Kaman), the single new corvette ("Mowaj") and maybe on some patrol ships or landing ships (3 in service). So maximum production is in the region of 20 units.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I thought most people concluded it was a OTO Melara 76mm in the other thread

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Well this thread was the first I've seen of it so I just said what I thought.

Anyway, the claims of this "new" gun:

* 85 rds per minute
* Dual purpose (land and air targets)
* 17km (10.5m) range
* Unmanned mount ("controlled automatically")

Now the stats for the OTO-Melara Mk100 76mm gun on which it's based:
* 85 rds per minute -(120 rds/min later varients)
* Dual purpose (land and air targets)
*18.5km quoted range
* Unmanned mount

Ok, so it's hardly a quantum leap forward, its performance stats are almost an exact match for the existing OTO-M product. Note that Iran first recieved the OTO-M 76mm in the 1970s.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Planeman,

Nice job, as always.

One has to question the wisdom and innovation of reverese-engineering a gun system that is already so long in the tooth, and of questionable usefulness.

However, one positive factor in using this gun is that there is probably plenty of ammunition available for it on the arms market, as it is use by so many nations.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The only thing that might be different is the liquid coolant, what type and viscosity it is and has. Metal warp and strength retention is important also, what is the technical info compared to the known Navy version?

I'm not keen on naval recognition, if it is in the water, not my concern, I know there are plenty of squids "on board". LOL
(pun intended)

new topics

top topics

join