It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Agrees to Send Nuclear Fuel to Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
In a move that's sure to increase tensions in Europe and the U.S., Russia has agreed to ship 80 tons of fuel to Iran to aid in the development of their nuclear power program. Iran claims that the nuclear plant that Russia is helping them to build is strictly for electical power generation, although Iran has admitted to enriching uranium that coul dpossibly be used in a nuclear weapon. The new plant is due to be completed in September of 2007.

www.nytimes.com
The agreement, signed by senior Russian and Iranian nuclear officials, represents a small victory for Iran, but seems certain to inflame Western anxiety over Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

Iran says it needs the fuel for a peaceful nuclear program to generate electricity.

But the fuel could also be enriched to create weapons-grade material, and the United States and other nations have accused Iran of using its nuclear program to develop atomic weapons.

The European Union’s foreign policy chief is scheduled to meet Iran’s top nuclear negotiator soon for talks on a package of incentives that Britain, France, Germany, the United States, China and Russia are hoping will encourage Iran to suspend uranium enrichment and enter negotiations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is just craziness. If Russia is willing to sell nuclear fuel to Iran and even build their nuclear plants for them, why should Iran bow to international demands that it stop it's nuclear program? And how can the UN impose any viable sanctions against Iran if they don't? After all, Russia is one of those countires, including France and the U.S. who have absolute veto power over any resolution that the security council may propose.

China also does not seem ready to throw their weight behind the rest of the world in reining Iran in becuase they also have financial gains vested in Iran. It doen't appear that there's much hope, short of unilateral miltary action on the part of the US, of ever keeping Iran from developing a viable nuclear arms program.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.iht.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Cancels Nuke Talks
Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei rejects talks with USA. Duck and cover Iran…

[edit on 27-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Russia seems to be doing a lot of things to spite the US these days. Their oil is empowering them. Which if you look at it, Russia really is like a Middle Eastern country(because their economy is based on oil) with a bunch of nukes.

With or without UN authorization, something will happen to Iran. There will be something that will happen, and the US and Israel and some of the other crew (maybe Britain) will do something. What, I really don't know.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Russia and the US are in cahoots and always have been, they're simply helping the US in creating a threat. Duck and cover people.

[edit on 28-9-2006 by squiz]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Way to go Russia. Just pray that one of the nukes Iran will undoubtedly make doesn't wind up in the hands of some terrorist in Chechnya.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I see it like this, that Russia is just doing as western countries have done in the middle east, using links and alliances there to support or increase their sphere of influence. What is the difference at the root of this issue between what Russia is doing here and what America has done to fund and support the Israelis?.

If as is now the accepted fact that the Israelis obtained through less than open and honest (unlike Iranians stance!) Nuclear material (maybe even stolen from the US!!) and made the only Nuclear arsenal in the Middle East, which has been the subject to UN resolutions that have been ignored and not acted on, well why therefore should we act against Iran?

There can be no double standards here. Where a large proportion of the anti western fundamentalists live, i.e. Pakistan is actually to a Nuclear State, and nothing is done or said in fact the US funds the Pakistan regime (well actually mainly protecting the current regime with Special Forces etc) to a tune of about 25 million $ per DAY!

This is no more than using the events and fear generated since 9-11 to continue the all out US stance on Iran , that is to topple the current regime there.

Lets be honest the US has better relation with North Korea in that there is more diplomatic exchanges and talks than with Iran!! think on that one.

The US sponsored a War in totality against Iran by funding Saddam Hussein that took the lives of over 1 million men. The US supplied the chemicals used by Saddam in his sick attacks on civilians, made money of it (The UK supplied the planes and shells for them) then 20-30 years later use it as an excuse to level the country!

Now we all think that its right and justified to attack Iran. Its all double standards hypocrisy and lies!

I bet most people don’t realise that Iran has the highest level of Jewish people living there, still practising their religion, with synagogues THAN ANY OTHER ARABIAN STATE! I believe its over 25,000 Iranian Jews. This just goes to show the problem of modern times and politics. Its obvious from the above statement that then the Iranians have nothing against Jewish People or their religion, but obviously have real issues with the state of Israel and its actions.

To be honest I can understand this reasoning. I have American friends. I have Loved and had my heart Broken by a wonderful American girl. I admire the many positive aspects of US culture and People. I though have a HUGE problem with the American Administration and Government and have for a long time. The reason is that I have by looking at the truth, and big picture of what they are up to, and have done to this planet and the people of it can see the wolf in sheep’s clothing.

I doubt that many in the Current administration would care about Iran if it wasn’t for two reasons. 1. to pacify and support the Israeli State in all it does for some unknown and unfathomable reason. The 4th largest Oil reserves in the world.

It has got about as much to do with "the war on terror" protecting innocent lives or furthering democracy (there are votes in Iran! the president was voted in and to be honest probably with less manipulation and fixing than that infamous day that Bush rigged it!) than the War in Iraq was about chemical weapons.

Things are never in geo politics what they seem on the surface and unfortunately in today’s world the layers are multiple and very deep before you get to truth. What seems to be happening though in today’s climate is that no-one at all seems to know what that truth is any more.

Having said this and the facts above Being just that Facts and truth not perspective, does that mean I believe the Iranians should be able to develop Nukes... hell No. Should we attack them to stop it! Hell no again. We should look at this issue globally and have parity and a real debate on the dangers of Nuclear material from all who posses it.

I don’t have the hard and fast answers but the road we are going down I know is not the solution so until the world is blessed again with some real leaders, who actually believe in what is best for humanity and not their friends and business associates first, I will just keep my membership of CND going.

Campaign for Nuclear Disarmanent

CND on Wiki

Regards

Elf

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
From article:

He said once the fuel is delivered to Bushehr, new International Atomic Energy Agency requirements will come into force, including greater surveillance of the reactor operations. That would make an attack of Bushehr _ for example, by U.S. or Israeli forces _ much less likely, he said, since IAEA inspectors would have more access to the facilities.

Now if memory serves correctly, Bushehr was due to be Russian-fueled back in March, but put off for various reasons, one of which was the ongoing dispute over Iran's program. But wouldn't increased IAEA surveillance and assurances of vigilance throw a monkey wrench into Bush's destruction of the Axis of Evil? As well as Israel's vow to never let Iran get the chance to acquire these weapons? Or will this be enough to quell the powers that be for a while? I think in America's case, maybe. But in Israel's case, I don't think it will be enough, IAEA or no IAEA. After all, the IAEA ain't exactly the most welcome entity in Dimona.

And that of course likely means that the US would have to partake in some form, or even go all out. I think this development could be extremely significant and influence near-future actions. The posturing has taken place, the cards are on the table as to Russia's intent to deliver, despite Israel's position and American interests. I'd be willing to bet some serious calls went out on the international wires over this. Lookout, we're headed for trouble, as all the vital signs are there. Of course they have been for some time. This just ups the stakes. Christ.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
From what i understand the Russians will also be collecting the waste from the power plants as well. So they will be supplying the fuel for use and then collecting the waste nuclear fuel.

Am i right or wrong?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
MischeviousElf, I'm not sure if you are referring to my statement or not, but for the most part I agree with your viewpoint. The roots of the problem in the ME go way back and US foreign policy is to blame for the situation we now face. There is a difference between Israel and Iran though. You don't see Israel supplying weapons to terrorists.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
From what i understand the Russians will also be collecting the waste from the power plants as well. So they will be supplying the fuel for use and then collecting the waste nuclear fuel.

Am i right or wrong?

You are correct; that is the plan, more or less..

Western nations fear that Tehran could try to divert nuclear fuel used at the Bushehr plant and seek to enrich it further for potential use in a weapon.

To try to ease Western concerns over Bushehr, Russia has agreed with Iran that Tehran will ship spent fuel back to Russia.

However, Iran has resisted Russia’s proposal to conduct all of Iran’s uranium enrichment on Russian soil.

So, Iran agreed to ship all their spent fuel ( read nuclear waste) back to Russia but are not under any constraints not to use the same rods for fuel enrichment purposes first; at least that's my take on the situation. I also wonder about that nuclear waste, if Iran actually sends it back to Russia; how will it be moved? By ship? By train? Who will oversee the transport? The IAEA? Anybody?

Frankly, based on Iran's history if compliance with IAEA and UN requests and resolutions regarding their nuclear program, I don't have much faith that Iran will keep their agreement with Russia about that spent fuel.

df1

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormrider
Frankly, based on Iran's history if compliance with IAEA and UN requests and resolutions regarding their nuclear program...

Neither IAEA or UN have a uniform set of rules that is equally applicable to all countries. Would the US comply with a UN resolution to inspect all US nuclear facilities? Would the US find it acceptable for an iranian to be on the inspection team? The US would respond to such UN requests in exactly the same manner as iran. Would you have the same complaint about US non-compliance if the shoe were on the other foot?

...I don't have much faith that Iran will keep their agreement with Russia about that spent fuel.

Unless you are aware of the specific details in this agreement you have no basis for having or lacking faith that iran will comply with the provisions in the agreement. The russians may have a solid handle on the control and management of the resulting spent fuel for all we know.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1

Frankly, based on Iran's history if compliance with IAEA and UN requests and resolutions regarding their nuclear program...

Neither IAEA or UN have a uniform set of rules that is equally applicable to all countries...

This may be true, however, several IAEA and UN resolutions/demands have been made of Iran regarding it's nuclear program, none of which have been complied with; this is what I was referring to.

Would the US comply with a UN resolution to inspect all US nuclear facilities? Would the US find it acceptable for an iranian to be on the inspection team? The US would respond to such UN requests in exactly the same manner as iran. Would you have the same complaint about US non-compliance if the shoe were on the other foot?

I don't deal in hypotheticals and your point is irrelevant to this discussion.

Unless you are aware of the specific details in this agreement you have no basis for having or lacking faith that iran will comply with the provisions in the agreement. The russians may have a solid handle on the control and management of the resulting spent fuel for all we know.

My faith or lack thereof is based on my own assesments of Iran's past behaviour and flouting of UN resolutions, as well as my own critical thinking skills and opinion.
Russia may or may not "have a handle" on the situation, only time will tell.

[edit on 9/28/2006 by Stormrider to correct html ]

[edit on 9/28/2006 by Stormrider]

df1

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It is not a hypothetical point that the UN/IAEA have a double standard(s), it is an indisputable fact. Iran has no moral imperitive to respond to the edicts of a kangaroo court which keeps shifting and changing the rules to insure that iran will never be in compliance.

The russians know that iran is getting hosed via the UN/IAEA and they know who is doing the hosing. No doubt the russians are taking advantage of US government stupidity. There is also no doubt that the russians do not fear a nuclear iran, otherwise they would not be cooperating with iran in this manner. Geograhically, iran is on russia's door step and the US has an ocean seperating itself from iran.

Have americans become so politically jaded that we no longer have any sense of truth, honesty and fair play or is it that we have become so cowardly that we fear the picture of every external demon that our government presents?

Count me as one of the unafraid. How will you be counted?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

It is not a hypothetical point that the UN/IAEA have a double standard(s), it is an indisputable fact.

Talk is cheap. Please provide objective evidence of your claim. Anyone can claim something as indisputable but not all can provide proof. References and links, please.

Iran has no moral imperitive to respond to the edicts of a kangaroo court which keeps shifting and changing the rules to insure that iran will never be in compliance.

No, indeed, they appear to have no moral imperatives at all, save those that are to their benefit.

The russians know that iran is getting hosed via the UN/IAEA and they know who is doing the hosing. No doubt the russians are taking advantage of US government stupidity. There is also no doubt that the russians do not fear a nuclear iran, otherwise they would not be cooperating with iran in this manner. Geograhically, iran is on russia's door step and the US has an ocean seperating itself from iran.

What the Russians know is questionable, however it appears they know how to take advantage of opportunities to make money by supplying arms and nuclear know-how to those with enough rupples, especially if those nations/entities are enemies of the US or it's allies. The cold war may be dead but international politics and brinksmanship is not.

Have americans become so politically jaded that we no longer have any sense of truth, honesty and fair play or is it that we have become so cowardly that we fear the picture of every external demon that our government presents?

Political persuasions aside, Americans are smart enough to know who our friends are and who are enemies, especially when those enemies, like Iran, proclaim their enmity at every opportunity. It's not smart to play fair with snakes unless you're looking to get bitten in the ass. If Iran is a demon, it is a self-proclaimed one.

Count me as one of the unafraid. How will you be counted?

Count me as someone who loves his country and will not be tolerant of those who wish to see it destroyed, like Iran and others of it's ilk.

df1

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
It is not a hypothetical point that the UN/IAEA have a double standard(s), it is an indisputable fact.

References and links, please.
www.iht.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink"> A double standard at the UN
Kayhan International: IAEA Double Standards
End U.S.-Iranian Nuclear Standoff by Ending Double Standards

How many more references and links do you require? Im not responsible for spoon feeding you the truth.

No, indeed, they appear to have no moral imperatives at all, save those that are to their benefit.

As opposed to the US government that operates solely for the benefit of those needy coporations so that the CEOs and their familes wont go hungry.

What the Russians know is questionable, however it appears they know how to take advantage of opportunities to make money by supplying arms and nuclear know-how to those with enough rupples,

Another indisputable fact is that the US is the worlds top weapons exporter. And of course a link to prevent you from again denying the obvious. Top 8 Arms Exporters.

Americans are smart enough to know who our friends are and who are enemies...

Apparently americans are not that smart, because we keep electing the same demopublican criminals year after year. The greatest enemy of the american people can not be found externally, it is unbridled government.

Count me as someone who loves his country and will not be tolerant of those who wish to see it destroyed...

Why arent you complaining to high heaven over our insecure borders and all of the uninspected cargo containers that enter the country every day? These are present and immediate threats to the people of US, but government action is no where to found. Instead of protecting its citizens our government is squandering american lives and dollars in foreign countries.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I am no big fan of the Iranian government but it seems everyone is in a rush to agree that they are after nuclear weapons, and perhaps they are. BUT, considering this administrations track record for honesty....why is everyone giving them the benefit of a doubt AGAIN and not Iran? This just seems like a bad replay of Iraq and everyone is falling for the same BS (not even an attempt at creative BS, the same old tired poop) again.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

References and links, please.
A double standard at the UN
Kayhan International: IAEA Double Standards
End U.S.-Iranian Nuclear Standoff by Ending Double Standards

How many more references and links do you require? Im not responsible for spoon feeding you the truth.

Well, first of all, your first link is invalid but it doesn't matter because they are all opinion pieces; I can match you editorial for opinion piece all day long. That is not what I asked for. Give me examples and references showing how the UN and IAEA have a double standard. And, incidentally, opinions are not truth, no matter how much you try to spoon feed it.

As opposed to the US government that operates solely for the benefit of those needy coporations so that the CEOs and their familes wont go hungry.

Let's try to stay on topic here. I am not here to convince you that your opinions on the US government are correct or not. This thread is concerned with the sale of fuel to Iran by Russia at a time when the majority of the international community is trying to get them to give up their nuclear program.

Another indisputable fact is that the US is the worlds top weapons exporter. And of course a link to prevent you from again denying the obvious. Top 8 Arms Exporters

What is your point? one fact does not erase the other.

Apparently americans are not that smart, because we keep electing the same demopublican criminals year after year. The greatest enemy of the american people can not be found externally, it is unbridled government.

So who should we elect? The Socialists? The Libertarians? What makes you think that would change the outcome of what is going on in the world today? Do you think the Islamist threat from al-Qaeda and it's followers would be any less than with a Democrat or Republican?

Why arent you complaining to high heaven over our insecure borders and all of the uninspected cargo containers that enter the country every day? These are present and immediate threats to the people of US, but government action is no where to found. Instead of protecting its citizens our government is squandering american lives and dollars in foreign countries..

I express my dissatisfation on such subjects by writing to my congressional representatives in Washington and by voting for or against those who do not get the message. What do you do?

new topics

top topics

join