It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, could it be a fairytale based on myth?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

My post was in response to your "little assignment", I do not think Indigenous people to be absurd, they do not claim to be Gods.
The Church and the Clergy, in God's name, have promoted wars, have sanctioned Inquisitions and Torture, they have collaborated with dictators(they even learnt a perfect Nazi salute during tha last war)

The people in the bible do not claim to be Gods either?? Wrongfully, I agree, the Church and Clergy have blashphemed God's name. So are you angry with man, God or religion?

The Clergy does not exactly live by the sweat of its brow. Famins,earthquakes, Tsunamis; they never give, they always take and hoard. They take from the poor without any scruples or regrets.
Their edifice stands because of people like you... I have nothing against God, I hate exploitative monopolies and the Church has certainly monopolized the Bible.

And the clergy is responsible for these natural events

Nature does take, yes I agree, and nature also gives. If you're going to use this to base your arguement, then you might want to appear a little less close minded and also point out the things that are 'given'. "people like me" hmmm......I don't understand this phrase? I am me and there isn't anyone like me, whether I attend a religious orginization from time to time or shop at Wal-Mart. In your earlier post, you were responding to my assigment, and I thank you for this, being I wasn't directing it toward you, it was a nice surprise. However, religion played no part in my assigment. I don't even place religion and the bible in the same catagory. I wanted to know why Genesis was so laughable. Now you are on to a completely separate issue, which isn't to do with the topic. "People like you" place God, religion, bible and all natural disasters in a tube of corruption to help you understand why the world is this way or that way and to give you an excuse to hate or shun or argue. Personally it doesn't matter to me who you are or what you do in your life, everyone is capable of the same things, perhaps it is people like you who keep "their" edifices standing?

If you think it's beautiful, just do your Christian duty and don't worry, it is I that risk the everlasting pains of hell.

I think a lot of things in life are beautiful and a lot of things are pretty crappy and ugly. I'll think of it as my humanly duty to worry about my fellow man, not soley because of their 'beliefs' I worry for the sake of the planet and because I care about you. If being this way defines me as a Christian to you than so be it. It wouldn't matter to be whether a person was religious or not, if they were drowning I'd do everything I could to save them. (For the record, I don't believe you're at risk)

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Man is only a animal without religion and if it is only created then good because humanity has progressivly gotten better because of it. If you look at the violent history of man the animal, religion created laws for him to abide by and that holds true to this day.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarpStrings

I'm not sure I'm understanding the point you are making here. Some of these supposed myths are still relished today. Scientifically, we have no better understanding as to why either. Instead of witches being burnt at the stake, they market their abilities and make a nice profit. Years ago people ran from 'witches' in fear, today people run to them for advice and healing and so on.

Once again, I agree, but don't understand your point. You seem to be using 'true' historical events to argue that the bible is a myth? So it appears to me that you are capable of going back as late as the 1600's but no further? What, is everything beyond that time a complete myth?

First of all if you don't understand my point go back and look at the post you wrote to me before that and that should explain it to you, but just in case, you can't find it,

Who are we to say that in biblical times people didn't understand the world around them.

I think you can figure out why I gave you those examples and yes I can go further back in history, but see no point in doing so. No everything before the present is history, not myth, but there has to be proof of history otherwise it to would be considered a myth. There is no proof whatsoever of God and the creation story actually being real other than the fairytale called the bible, yes it is a written account but then so are fairytales.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I still don't see the connection. I'll recap for myself:

*You wondered in your original post whether the bible was a myth, a fairytale if you will.

*You compared the *Holy* Bible to Sleeping Beauty.

*Later you used superstitions and witches of the late 16th Century, to validate your accusations.

At first you didn't seem to be hard set on throwing the bible out as just another fairytale, you seemed more concerned and desired others’ opinions or thoughts. Did you just wake up one day and decide that the bible must be a myth? The way you opened your OP would give off that impression. You are correct, the bible is a written account of many lives in connection with our God and The Messiah. There are scholars among scholars that cannot disprove the written word (and I’m sure many crave to place a huge sticky on all Bibles that says FICTION) but they can’t. There have been Atheist who seek to discredit the word (possibly to justify their disbelief) but they can’t either, and sometimes they end up devout. You, goose are not the first and certainly not the last person to think that the bible might be fiction. Being that you don’t even know why you ‘wonder’ that it’s a fairytale and now less than a week after your original post I’m sensing that you aren’t even capable of carrying on a sincere debate or perhaps you’ve just lost interest?

I recommend you go read the bible for yourself. Beginning to end. It’s no Sleeping Beauty.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I wouldnt say the bible was fiction or '*holy*', but I wouldnt state that it was the complete truth either. The bible is probably based on actual events and some actual people but I would have to disagree that there is any divinity in its writing or its authors. The bible is a compilation of Judaic, Judeo-christian and Christian beliefs over around 1000(?) year period and contains innaccuracies and contradictions to even its own faith.
So yes I can see what the Original Poster meant by myth and fairytale while many of the faith will only see the historical and therefore disagree.

Eg Bram Stokers Dracula is based on historical people and places but is also based on mythical beings. I see the bible as the same thing.

G

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Now you are on to a completely separate issue, which isn't to do with the topic. "People like you" place God, religion, bible and all natural disasters in a tube of corruption to help you understand why the world is this way or that way and to give you an excuse to hate or shun or argue. Personally it doesn't matter to me who you are or what you do in your life, everyone is capable of the same things, perhaps it is people like you who keep "their" edifices standing?

I think a lot of things in life are beautiful and a lot of things are pretty crappy and ugly. I'll think of it as my humanly duty to worry about my fellow man, not soley because of their 'beliefs' I worry for the sake of the planet and because I care about you. If being this way defines me as a Christian to you than so be it. It wouldn't matter to be whether a person was religious or not, if they were drowning I'd do everything I could to save them. (For the record, I don't believe you're at risk)

Perhaps I did digress a little but I happen to think that people who speak on behalf of Biblegod are supporting the Church which i regard as an industry of deceipt and exploitation.

I also believe the Bible to be a book of myths and stories written by various jewish Rabbis between 900 a.d. and 400 a.d. with no intervention from any God whatsoever.
No better and no worst than other holy books.

You say you are not a Christian, do you believe the bible to be true? What do you find historical in the Bible?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I wouldnt say the bible was fiction or '*holy*', but I wouldnt state that it was the complete truth either.

Why? Then what would you state since you appear to not even have a clue what your own self thinks?

The bible is probably based on actual events and some actual people but I would have to disagree that there is any divinity in its writing or its authors.

The bible is "probably" based on....? How do you disagree to it's divinity?

The bible is a compilation of Judaic, Judeo-christian and Christian beliefs over around 1000(?) year period and contains innaccuracies and contradictions to even its own faith.

Contradictions written in the Bible, I've read a few, yes. Inaccuracies? What and where did you find this and come upon this knowledge?

So yes I can see what the Original Poster meant by myth and fairytale while many of the faith will only see the historical and therefore disagree.

Nothing that you've stated in summary gives the impression that you agree with the OP that the Bible is a fairytale or myth-this is the accusation, this is the assumption and all I've read thus far to back up this claim are comparisons to Sleeping Beauty, a few superstitions and witch tales, something about the moon and behavior and now Bram Stokers Dracula....

Do any of you even read the Bible??? Take away for a moment the main figures and their story..now does the bible seem a little more realistic? Is the problem some of you are having with the written accounts of the people or the claims that God is our God or religion today?

Some seem to have no problem believing written historical accounts of the late 16th century but have trouble believing the biblical accounts. Let's remember too that the time was different, the people spoke and wrote different than you and I today. That's why the bible has been translated and written in a language we can better understand today-which isn't always a direct translation that's why some words do not seem to fit the given sentence or verse in the bible. The bible has been translated from many ancient languages. See link, very informative!

www.ancient-hebrew.org...

My point is this; if you don't believe the bible because you just don't want to is no excuse to claim that it is a fairytale. You claim this, you are going to need to provide better 'proof' than what's been provided thus far in this thread.

By the way, I'm not angry I'm frustrated and concerned. I love all of you, you have some good points and most of you, from what I can tell, are sincere and knowledgeable and I enjoy reading your thoughts
I hope we can maintain a level of understanding and thoughtfulness for oneanother.

Harps

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Me! Me!!

I read the bible ALL the time. I live on it, to be quite frank.

Or rather, it sustains my life.

I have enjoyed reading your views and comments in this thread.

I especially like this:

I embrace the written word of God and no, I don't need religion to tell me it's 'right' or science to tell me it's 'wrong'. I do so because the living spirit inside me (for which is not tangible) sternly speaks to me.

I'm right there with ya, brother. Truly. What a beautiful voice that stern one has, huh?

And one thing I might say to Ersatz:

I'm speaking up for 'Biblegod' - who is not at all confined to the bible, btw - perhaps you are speaking of 'religiongod' or 'christiangod'? who are both 'not-a-god' and who cannot rescue or deliver, since they are not ALIVE....

But the God that is found in the bible (for those who wish to find the source of truth called 'God' rather than 'religion,' 'theology,' or 'self-justification') is invisible and very, very alive.

And I'm making this endorsement of my God with the declaration, also, that I DO NOT, in any fashion (nor have I EVER) endorsed what you called

an industry of deceipt and exploitation.

In fact, I totally agree with you on that. It is a heinous institution....but while it may seem as if that nefarious monopoly has exclusive access, claim, or right to the bible (or any thing else, at all, for that matter!)....that's no doubt just a testament to what seems to be some sort of victory over (truth, God, or ?) or successful exploitation of names which are taken for the sake of their status and esteem....

But there is only one essential and inescapable outcome regarding all these sorts of things....

TRUTH always comes out in the end; although we are rarely patient enough to see it through, I do know it to be a fact because, well....I just KNOW it.

Truth is what is left when all the trappings of our own screwed up psyche (as a society and as individuals) falls away....and there is truth in EVERYTHING. The core of all that is, is truth. But what we mainly perceive and interact with, each day, is the deception that covers that foundation. Like a bunch of gaudy and cheap wrapping paper or a whore's 'work-clothes,' the deception appeals to our eyes but doesn't hold up our thoughts for very long at all.

I think that religion has furthered its own cause by discouraging and condemning true and deep thought (about God and life in general). And society has a big part, too...

Man is not a thinking animal these days...more of a primitive than Cro-Magnon man, IMO! The best thing that any one could do for themselves (if they haven't already) is kick their television to the curb!!! I mean, literally! Then the brain kicks back in and the world becomes real color (as opposed to 'technicolor')~!

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ersatz

Perhaps I did digress a little but I happen to think that people who speak on behalf of Biblegod are supporting the Church which i regard as an industry of deceipt and exploitation.

I can understand this, but not always so. I speak on behalf of myself and my relationship with God and my knowledge of the bible.

I also believe the Bible to be a book of myths and stories written by various jewish Rabbis between 900 a.d. and 400 a.d. with no intervention from any God whatsoever.
No better and no worst than other holy books.

The bible was written by many different people of different walks of life. The biblical accounts were inspired by God. There are parables, stories, prophesies, song, poetry and so on...

www.allabouttruth.org...

You say you are not a Christian, do you believe the bible to be true? What do you find historical in the Bible?

I did not say I was not a Christian. But today, in order to be understood better by eachother it seems that we must give ourselves a title or name or place ourselves in a catagory. I don't agree with this at all. I do congregate with other people every so often, not as often as I'd like to. We discuss the bible, we read from the bible, we learn from oneanother. I do this alone as well. I'm doing this right now as a matter of fact! Does this mean we are at church? Does this mean that we are religious? Or Christian? No. We are people discussing something that is interesting to us and we both want the same conclusion. Truth.

I am unable to say whether I agree or disagree with church or religion. I've been to churches of the same denomination who are either out of line with eachother, or out of line with the bible or right on the mark. Strange.

I believe the stories in the bible are factual written historical events. I believe this for two reasons; there is historical data that credits the validity and most importantly, I realize there is no way in my spirit I am able to reject the living word. With that, I acknowledge a living God and praise Him and trust His word through written accounts of men/women. I know that it is in the given nature of man to desire the truth of existance. I believe that certain religious groups, science, theories and evolution have become barriers between man and God. Not to mention all the little things in life that keep our minds grounded to earthly/manly things to keep us from knowing our Sovereign God.

Here are some sources:

www.allabouttruth.org...

www.escmedia.org...

www.godandscience.org...

www.geocities.com...

www.seeking4truth.com...

That's just a speck of evidence or facts that back the claims that the Bible is real and true.

Sincerely,
Harps

******ALSO*********Here is a little history on Sleeping Beauty:

www.surlalunefairytales.com...

********AND Bram Stoker********

www.ucs.mun.ca...

Can't seem to find a connection with the Holy Bible

[edit on 3-10-2006 by HarpStrings]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A question for all you bible-zealots out there who believe your book to be compltete justification for your beliefs - what about the Koran or the Torah, or the creation myths of the American Indian, Auststralian Aboriginal or the Maori?

What makes YOUR book true / valid and these other beliefs wrong?

If they're all right then doesn't it it just prove they're all the comforting nonsense of ignorant people invented to make life explainable before we became enlightened?

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
A question for all you bible-zealots out there who believe your book to be compltete justification for your beliefs - what about the Koran or the Torah, or the creation myths of the American Indian, Auststralian Aboriginal or the Maori?

While I am, without a doubt, quite zealous - which is why I'm replying to your question - I cannot say that I have ever regarded anything, written or otherwise, to be justification for anything I believe. At all. No matter what it is.

What I 'believe' is just what my gut makes me believe. Justification is for purposes that aren't core issues (such as trusting in God). Pretty much justification means a person would rather spend more time weaving elaborate robes instead of just washing their underwear every day. If you know what I mean.

And my belief in God came long before I ever became zealous....and my scholarly pursuit of the ancient Hebrew scriptures is only something that has overtaken me in the last few years.

I've read a lot of other books, texts, and I've tried to learn all I could about anything that caught my attention of the moment. Although I must admit I've missed out entirely on the Australian aboriginal stuff (except the rainbow serpent - isn't that from down under? I might be wrong. ) and all I know about Maori is that which concerns Easter Island...

But as far as a whole bunch of the rest....it's all valid and it's all true....there is but one story because there is but one race (the human race) and one creator of all things.

It's like this:

Ice cream is good for everyone. (IMO) However, some people don't like ice cream.
And of those who do - vanillla isn't always the first choice. I personally like chocolate mint chip. Always have and probably always will.

But aside from the flavoring (culture) - all ice cream (pursuit of sacred spirituality) is made of the same ingredients: milk (truth) and eggs (the soul who seeks its Maker) and sugar (God and love). It must be kept cold (personal and sacred), too - if you don't want it to spoil (become religious hypocrisy).

What makes YOUR book true / valid and these other beliefs wrong?

It is not the printed words on manufactured paper than makes 'truth.'

Truth is only found by those who seek with pureness of heart that seeks to learn rather than to present as someone who has gained God's favor or approval above his peers. The reason being that such a situation is a false conception and therefore can only give rise to self-deception.

If they're all right then doesn't it it just prove they're all the comforting nonsense of ignorant people invented to make life explainable before we became enlightened?

Yes and No. They're all right but they all also wrong. It is relative to the person, not the theology.

And where in the world did you get the idea that 'we are all enlightened?'

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

I still don't see the connection. I'll recap for myself:

*You wondered in your original post whether the bible was a myth, a fairytale if you will.

*You compared the *Holy* Bible to Sleeping Beauty.

*Later you used superstitions and witches of the late 16th Century, to validate your accusations.

At first you didn't seem to be hard set on throwing the bible out as just another fairytale, you seemed more concerned and desired others’ opinions or thoughts. Did you just wake up one day and decide that the bible must be a myth? The way you opened your OP would give off that impression. You are correct, the bible is a written account of many lives in connection with our God and The Messiah. There are scholars among scholars that cannot disprove the written word (and I’m sure many crave to place a huge sticky on all Bibles that says FICTION) but they can’t. There have been Atheist who seek to discredit the word (possibly to justify their disbelief) but they can’t either, and sometimes they end up devout. You, goose are not the first and certainly not the last person to think that the bible might be fiction. Being that you don’t even know why you ‘wonder’ that it’s a fairytale and now less than a week after your original post I’m sensing that you aren’t even capable of carrying on a sincere debate or perhaps you’ve just lost interest?

I recommend you go read the bible for yourself. Beginning to end. It’s no Sleeping Beauty.

I gave you a historical connection to prove the people of biblical times did not understand the world around them with any scientific knowledge since as late as the 1600-1800's people were still thinking the simplest thing they did not understand meant someone was a witch, the sky was falling, and lots of other crazy things; it only stands to reason the further back in time you go the less understanding of simple science and the world around them. If you can prove that people back in biblical times had a great deal of scientific knowledge then please do so.

You believe in the bible because you want to, there is nothing in the bible that is provable other than references to places and a bit of history. I compared it to a fairytale because I believe it is. I have read the bible and spent a great deal of my time as a youth in church, so please don't assume if I read more I will believe as you do, it won't happen.

You say there are scholars who have attempted to prove it is not real, well here is your problem, no one has proven it is real. No one can prove it is real. If you can give us proof, by all means do so, but I need more than how you feel about the bible and God and all that. If you want to base your life on it, fine do so, but don't tell me something is real simply because you want it to be. Give me evidence, something that is real, until then I will view it just as I said earlier, it is a book based on myths from early people's lack of understanding the world around them and is nothing more than a big old fairytale.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I wouldnt say the bible was fiction or '*holy*', but I wouldnt state that it was the complete truth either.

Why? Then what would you state since you appear to not even have a clue what your own self thinks?
To me the bible is based on historical events but is a more or less a fictional book i.e Jesus NOT the son of god, god creating the earth and stuff like that - you know the faith stuff.

The bible is probably based on actual events and some actual people but I would have to disagree that there is any divinity in its writing or its authors.

The bible is "probably" based on....? How do you disagree to it's divinity?

Well the FACT I wasn't around to actually see the events as they happened so IMO it was "probably based on". I disagree with the divinty because I'm and athiest and I dont believe in gods and the fact that I view most of the bible as fiction so why should I agree to its 'divinity'?????

The bible is a compilation of Judaic, Judeo-christian and Christian beliefs over around 1000(?) year period and contains innaccuracies and contradictions to even its own faith.

Contradictions written in the Bible, I've read a few, yes. Inaccuracies? What and where did you find this and come upon this knowledge?
Well flat earth and pillars holding up the sky are fairly INACCURATE. And what do you mean by a 'few contradictions' when there are loads

Nothing that you've stated in summary gives the impression that you agree with the OP that the Bible is a fairytale or myth-this is the accusation, this is the assumption and all I've read thus far to back up this claim are comparisons to Sleeping Beauty, a few superstitions and witch tales, something about the moon and behavior and now Bram Stokers Dracula....

Do any of you even read the Bible??? Take away for a moment the main figures and their story..now does the bible seem a little more realistic? Is the problem some of you are having with the written accounts of the people or the claims that God is our God or religion today?

Some seem to have no problem believing written historical accounts of the late 16th century but have trouble believing the biblical accounts. Let's remember too that the time was different, the people spoke and wrote different than you and I today....
My point is this; if you don't believe the bible because you just don't want to is no excuse to claim that it is a fairytale. You claim this, you are going to need to provide better 'proof' than what's been provided thus far in this thread.
First off I thought Dracula would be a better analogy as places and people in the story actually existed but the story is fictional - just like the bible IMO.
I read the bible when I need to find quotes or whatever but just to read it NO, there are more interesting things to read.
I dont have a problem with the claims made in the bible, I have a problem with people claiming those claims to be the ONLY claims. The fact I dont believe in any god means the claims in the bible are irrelevant to me.

Check out the similarities between jesus and other pagan godmen of the pre christian era, specifically the egyptian godman HORUS. There are nearly 200 similarities between these two including birth, birthday, raising the dead,miracles, healings, exorcisms, crucifixion between two thiefs and ressurection to the right hand of the one god (People tend to forget the Egyptians had ONE main god RA and that all other gods were a personification of RA). There are so many similarities that if you read the story of Horus it is virtually the same as the story of jesus. The evidence is there if you know where to look.

G

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

That's just a speck of evidence or facts that back the claims that the Bible is real and true.
Sincerely,
Harps

I can give hundreds of links that will give you evidence that the Bible is fable, I can also give you hundreds of links that will confirm the veracity of the Qur'an but really they mean nothing. Depends who you ask...

I would be curious to have your personal opinion or what facts you personally use with your own self to back claims that the bible is real and true.
Apart from the need of celestial company what makes you believe that the words of some rabbis that lived 2500 years ago are truer than other people that lived at the time.
Is the only God possible really Biblegod? What makes you prefer him to others? Why Him and not Her or Them or None?

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by goose
If you can prove that people back in biblical times had a great deal of scientific knowledge then please do so.

The findings in Mesopotamia concerning ancient Sumeria indicate that they certainly knew astronomical facts (such as there being more planets beyond Jupiter and Saturn) that we only were able to find out in the last few hundred years. . . .

and that was BEFORE the time of the accounts of the bible are dated.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I gave you a historical connection to prove the people of biblical times did not understand the world around them with any scientific knowledge since as late as the 1600-1800's people were still thinking the simplest thing they did not understand meant someone was a witch, the sky was falling, and lots of other crazy things;

I understand this and I gave you present time scientific knowledge that people of today still do not understand issues pertaining to some of the very same issues you provided. Remember; we still have behavioural conditions associated with the moon and it's phases, and scientifically, we still don't 100% understand this. My question is this, are we really all THAT different than we used to be? I provided several examples of this!

If you can prove that people back in biblical times had a great deal of scientific knowledge then please do so.

Look around you. You don't need me or the Bible to prove that even 'before' biblical times there was plenty of scientific 'knowledge' amongst the people. In fact today we still do not comprehend how the pyramids in Egypt were built and are in near perfect alignment. How does scientific knowledge or lack thereof, make life that much more 'true' or real? Solidly and geometrically, they stand!

You believe in the bible because you want to, there is nothing in the bible that is provable other than references to places and a bit of history. I compared it to a fairytale because I believe it is. I have read the bible and spent a great deal of my time as a youth in church, so please don't assume if I read more I will believe as you do, it won't happen.

Certainly I believe in the bible because I want to, but that is just one reason among many. I believe because I need to, have to, long to. There are many things in the bible that are provable. I gave links provided by scholars, theologists, scientists...."a great deal of time in church" does mean that you have read the bible. I thought this too, for a long time before I ever had a one on one with God and actually, physically, spiritually, read the Bible. I'm not assuming you will ever believe as I do!

You say there are scholars who have attempted to prove it is not real, well here is your problem, no one has proven it is real. No one can prove it is real. If you can give us proof, by all means do so

I've provided solid proof, that the Bible is definitely not a myth. There are numerous facts, yes facts, to back up many accounts in the Bible. And yes, there are many mysteries as well!!

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Those facts are historical facts such as places, wars, and certain people's lives such as kings and rulers, I said from the very beginning there was some historical data in the bible, I have never denied this but the rest is myth so far as I am concerned.

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Here are some sources:

www.allabouttruth.org...
Sincerely,
Harps

Have only taken one of the sources otherwise it would be too long winded:

“Who wrote the Bible” is a question that can be definitively answered by examining the biblical texts in light of the external evidences that supports its claims. 2 Timothy 3:16 states that “All scripture is inspired by God….”
The full frase is:
-3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Here is some interesting stuff also in the Bible therefore inspired by God:

Read Judges 19 from 22 to 30
(Summary of 19:22-30) After taking in a traveling Levite, the host offers his virgin daughter and his guest's concubine to a mob of perverts (who want to have sex with his guest). The mob refuses the daughter, but accepts the concubine and they "abuse her all night." The next morning she crawls back to the doorstep and dies. The Levite puts her dead body on an ass and takes it home. Then he chops the body up into twelve pieces and sends them to each of the twelve tribes of Israel (Parcel Post?).

-Ezekiel 23.20
For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

What else the Bible says about Penises

-Exodus 4:24-25
The LORD met him, and sought to kill him. Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

-Deuteronomy 23:1
He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Bible inspired by God? Really now....
Would you like to bring on the table some proper evidence instead of quoting biased souces...

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Same source:

www.allabouttruth.org...

Dr. Nelson Glueck, perhaps the utmost modern authority on Israeli archeology, said: "No archeological discovery has ever controverted a Biblical reference. Scores of archeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or in exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of Biblical descriptions has often led to amazing discoveries."

The written Word is ‘inspired’ by God. But are the actions written inspired by He? People did strange and terrible things. But people are not infallible. We still do strange and terrible things! That is why God knew He had to send a Savior for all mankind, otherwise we would all perish.

16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. (1 Cor. 15:16-20)

Granted there is a great deal of bloodshed accounts written of in the Bible, most especially, before Messiah came-as per the verses you‘ve provided. From a subjective standpoint, I think that this only shows us the capabilities of man and thus can provide us with the understanding that we aren’t perfect. But this also shows the love that God has for us, even though we aren’t…perfect. He saw us before and after. He is the Alpha and Omega. He knew that in order for us to be saved, that we would need the blood of a Lamb. That is why we have Yeshua The Messiah as our Lamb, He was/is the ultimate sacrifice for mankind. It is through Him that we are saved in the eyes of God. There are a few accounts written in the Torah where God is on the verge of wiping out all mankind and if you stop there, no you’ll never understand. That is why the entire Bible is here for us, it gives us the bigger picture so to speak. Unless you are completely righteous, there is no way of getting through the gates of Heaven without Messiah standing between you and God….

I am the Way, the Truth and the Light. No one comes to the Father except through Me.( John 14:6)

Absolutely the Word is inspired by God. Are you?

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Same source:

www.allabouttruth.org...

Dr. Nelson Glueck, perhaps the utmost modern authority on Israeli archeology, said: "No archeological discovery has ever controverted a Biblical reference. Scores of archeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or in exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of Biblical descriptions has often led to amazing discoveries."

You keep generalizing, stop on something specific.

Nazareth did not exist in the 1st century AD – the area was a burial ground of rock-cut tombs.
When we look for historical confirmation of this hometown of a god – surprise, surprise! – no other source confirms that the place even existed in the 1st century AD.
• Nazareth is not mentioned even once in the entire Old Testament. The Book of Joshua (19.10,16) – in what it claims is the process of settlement by the tribe of Zebulon in the area – records twelve towns and six villages and yet omits any 'Nazareth' from its list.
• The Talmud, although it names 63 Galilean towns, knows nothing of Nazareth, nor does early rabbinic literature.
• St Paul knows nothing of 'Nazareth'. Rabbi Solly's epistles (real and fake) mention Jesus 221 times, Nazareth not at all.
• No ancient historian or geographer mentions Nazareth. It is first noted at the beginning of the 4th century.

Solomon did not exist

In the 1950s, Yigael Yadin – Israeli Defence Chief of Staff turned archaeologist – decided that the ruins of Megiddo, Hazor and Gezer were the legendary 'Fortress Cities' of Solomon.
"Our great guide was the Bible" he said. Thus he confirmed the Bible with the Bible.
This was despite an absence of any find at the sites naming Solomon – but a cartouche naming Pharaoh Amenhotep III instead!
Destruction of the sites was attributed to 'Yahweh's instrument' – the 8th century Assyrians. But the Arameans beat them to it, before themselves succumbing to the Assyrians in 811 BC.
Jeroboam II (788 - 747 BC), an Assyrian client king of Israel, rebuilt Megiddo, Gezer and Hazor and presided over the last period of Israel's prosperity. His reign helped to colour the legend of 'Solomon', written in the 7th century.

The real Solomon:
"I ascended the Lebanon mountains and cut down the mighty beams of cedar. At that time I carried those cedars from Lebanon and at the gate of the temple of Shulmânu, my lord, I laid them down.
The old temple which Shalmaneser, my father, had built, had become decrepit, and I, in my skill, rebuilt that temple from its foundations to its pinnacles.
The beams of cedar from Lebanon I laid on it.
When this temple becomes old and decrepit, may a future prince renew its decrepit parts and return the inscription to its place."
Shalmaneser III (859-824 BC) was named for the god Shulmânu-Asharêd ("shulmânu is foremost").
Shalmânu is the Assyrian equivalent of Suleiman and thus Solomon.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join