It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ownership of Rottweilers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I used to breed Rotties. At one time had ove 15 running around the place. We took the dogs to obedience class ,one day, my little daughter 3 years old at the time, was bitten in the face by a poodle. Rotties are not vicious. Proper training of the dog and owner are common sense. My rotties would always step in between the electric fence and my kids. Took the shock for them. Breeders should do a full screening and see the education levels of the potential owners.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
I used to breed Rotties. At one time had ove 15 running around the place. We took the dogs to obedience class ,one day, my little daughter 3 years old at the time, was bitten in the face by a poodle. Rotties are not vicious. Proper training of the dog and owner are common sense. My rotties would always step in between the electric fence and my kids. Took the shock for them. Breeders should do a full screening and see the education levels of the potential owners.

I agree with most of what you said, all animals at the end of the day are unpredictable (just like us "humans") and you say that your daughter was bitten by a poodle, you typically wouldnt expect to view them as vicious but to be honest alot of poodles i have seen are very "grumpy". like I said you wouldnt worry about a poodle ripping apart a small child, on the other hand, "Rotties" are very muscular and powerful and you should take extra care. At the end of the day all animals are unpredictable.

I too believe very firmly that proper training should be given to such "high risk" breeds.

I believe that your "Rotties" would instinctively step between your children and take a "shock" for them, they are most likely very caring and loyal animals...though at the same time they have "potential" to show "animosity" towards anyone

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Dogs of damn near any breed can be lethal. Sometimes it's just something wrong with the animal BUT it's usually how the OWNER trains them. Hold the owner accountable for the actions of the animal.
Oh my gosh Intrepid we agree again. I've been around critters of all types all my life it is the way they are treated and taught that determines behavior. All dogs should be properly socialized. By the by I have two mutts Apollo who is 15 years old terrier, Brody who is a very large husky mix about 3 years old. Apollo is cute has one ear up one down about 25 pounds Brody is as I said very large with one blue eye and one that is half blue half brown. Guess who people are scared of yep Brody but Apollo is the one we have to watch not because he's crazed or vicious but because he is old he can't see or hear very well therefore he doesn't know for sure if a threat exists so he will attack. I just don't leave him in our fenced yard unless I'm home and usually he stays in the house with me. My long winded point being is age can also be a factor in a dogs behavior and should be taken into account.

<< 1   >>

join