It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran builds plasma engine for space programme

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Shamanator
I suggest that you stop spouting that rubbish... Nasa can't even supply the ISS without Russian assistance. So untill you have a real working spacelift system, that can be flown in under 6 month intervals, you stop flaming others about poor spacecraft design..

And whens the last time Russia landed Men on the moon or landed Mars rovers. Exactly they never have because they only have rubbish designs.

Point finished

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
But they can put a man into orbit safely and on time, something US is unable to do. Don't run before you can walk.

As for Iranians using plasma engines in satellites - not going to happen, as someone said plasma thrusters are good only in long burns, not in short LEO manouvers.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
But they can put a man into orbit safely and on time, something US is unable to do. Don't run before you can walk.

As for Iranians using plasma engines in satellites - not going to happen, as someone said plasma thrusters are good only in long burns, not in short LEO manouvers.

This is not true exactly. The US is able to put a man into orbit safely and on time it just has not chosen to build that type of space system yet. It is happening now! This craft will make all the others look like horse and buggy.

EXTERNAL SOURCE

The Space Shuttle was developed to be able to carry huge payloads and man into space and is a bit more risky thus timelyness becomes and issue since they do not launch when all safety factors are not met. The space shuttle is way more advanced than the Russian Soyuz but the Soyuz is definately more durable and cost effective for moving man into space. You just cant pack a big lunch when you fly in it

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Xeven]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaaa

Mehran's posts are always huge fun, I always look forward to them.

Sad thing is, 30 years of "Death to America" chant rallys will bring some bad Karma down on the Persians.

Question is, what will the Israeli's have to lose by nuking them?
I Agree.merans posts always are worth a laugh.and imho israel would only use nukes in self defense.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think alot of people are getting confused between Ion engines and Plasma engines.

Ion engines have been around for a long time, but plasma engines have not.

NASA and ESA are both investigating plasma engines right now, with NASA viewing them as a means to mars. Estimates are of an engine capable of producing several times the thrust of an Ion engine with around the same fuel consumption:

ESA here and NASA here

I'll not even bother commenting on the posts by the 'blind-patriotism' idiots.

jra

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
Iranian engineering once again prooves to be one of the best in the world.

If this story is true, then good for Iran, but I wouldn't say there engineering is best in the world. Plasma thrusters arn't anything new.

Pulsed Plasma Thrusters
The Zond 2 spacecraft, launched by the Soviet Union in 1964, was the first use of PPTs in space. In 1968, the United States launched its own PPT system aboard the LES - 6 satellite. The LES - 8 and 9 satellites launched in 1976 and tested PPTs for stationkeeping maneuvers. The Transit Improvement Program (TIP) spacecraft used PPTs for drag correction maneuvers on TIP II (launched in 1975) and TIP III (launched in 1976). The U.S. Navy developed the Navy Navigation Satellites (NNS), which became the first navigation satellite system. Three NNS satellites (Nova 1 launched in 1981, Nova 3 launched in 1984, and Nova 2 launched in 1988) used PPTs for drag correction maneuvers.

The Russians and US have been using plasma thrusters since the 60's.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join