It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework should be abolished

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
I believe it's time that adults finally listen to the youth and take there word for it that homework SUCKS. Therefore, teachers should not issue studying, homework etc. be done at HOME. School takes a large portion of our lives as it is, and half of our bloody day. So what I'm saying is that once school is over for the day - that is IT! No homework or anything to do with school until we go to school the next day. Studying for tests should only be done at school, period. Why do I think it should be this way? Because I believe this will SIGNIFICANTLY end students from skipping school. Homework = skipping school, no homework = ends skipping school significantly (not completely because of bullying etc. etc).

Take the message from the Media themselves for example, "ReFresh". They are telling employees to Relax more during lunch hour and STOP over working. Its the same thing with education. Get the point I'm trying to make?

No. Your basically asking for schools to let you loaf around all day listening to iPods and text messaging friends in class, then let you go for the day so you can do the same thing except from the comfort of your parents couch while playing guitar hero and warcraft.

Homework is for a reason. And if you dont like homework in grade school, your not going to get past the first day of entry level college!

And if you think its so easy in the workforce, heh, you have no friggin clue about real life.

I would suggest you get with the program, stop being lazy and start growing up before you find yourself living off of mommie and daddy at the age of 30 still loafing on their couch playing guitar hero 5.

Its called life. And its called responsibility. Something that needs to be learned at an early age.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't think it would result in kids loafing around; I think it would encourage teachers to be more efficient. One thing that really sticks out in my high school experience is when we'd have some sort of assembly and end up with 15-minute classes, we got a LOT done. The teachers got it together and put the entire classtime to good use, as opposed to normal days where they'd ramble on or throw in an irrelevant activity. Homework just adds to how bloated the whole system is.

I had far more homework in high school than in college, and the "responsibility" of homework isn't all that similar to the responsibilities of the average adult's life. Some kind of class on financial management would be far more helpful in preparing students.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I`m totally agree with you, homework is incredibly boring thing, but, as for me, it shouldn`t be abolished at all. I consider, homework just should be more interesting and not such big. I also know one not bad decision, which really can help you. Try this site / and you will like your homework

edit on Dec 26th 2018 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I had a history teacher that believed that if you could not learn what he put out in class he was not teaching right.

Except for that teacher and PE the rest would assign 2 hours homework a night

That added up to 8+ hours homework a night. and if the family had times to do i never got all my homework done.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
How many parents are actually doing their kids home work so they can get a grade and just move on?
I've seen it, I know there must be others.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: benevolent tyrant
Unfortunately, the teen age years are the most difficult ones. There is a scientifically reported "shearing" of brain cells that takes place at this time that makes many activities like study and homework more difficult. I have heard one educator say that it is actually more difficult for teens to function intellectually than it is for, say, a ten year old. Teen behavior is more erratic and less rational than at any other time in their lives. Sleep patterns become disrupted and often thinking processes become more chaotic.

Imagine how much more we could learn and so much more quickly if we kept our childlike brains until our mid twenties instead of our teens?

I would have done better in high school and gone farther in college for sure. I'm thirty now and I still feel like my brain never came out of the adolescent fryer. Scrambled eggs. That's what my brain feels like most of the time.

From the time you come out of diapers to the time you enter adolescence you only get about 10 good years of learning. And the those first few years are spent just learning the language and basic math. It's not a lot of time. Yeah I can see the importance of homework and studying now. It sure wasn't important to me back then though.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: 7Ayreon
I believe it's time that adults finally listen to the youth and take there word for it that homework SUCKS. Therefore, teachers should not issue studying, homework etc. be done at HOME. School takes a large portion of our lives as it is, and half of our bloody day. So what I'm saying is that once school is over for the day - that is IT! No homework or anything to do with school until we go to school the next day. Studying for tests should only be done at school, period. Why do I think it should be this way? Because I believe this will SIGNIFICANTLY end students from skipping school. Homework = skipping school, no homework = ends skipping school significantly (not completely because of bullying etc. etc).

Take the message from the Media themselves for example, "ReFresh". They are telling employees to Relax more during lunch hour and STOP over working. Its the same thing with education. Get the point I'm trying to make?

Your idea could be taken as a proposal for longer school days, just FYI.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 7Ayreon

A couple things. While no one who went through school liked homework or studying you simply cannot get it all done in a given school day. Basically If all homework/studying was done in school you then have to give up time that was going to learn new topics. You have to have so many topics covered because it leads to the next year, and eventually a required set of information covered by the time you leave high school. So the question becomes in order to meet those requirements are you willing to extend the school day and year so all topics along with homework and studying can be covered in class? If not then you need to work on reducing the requirements because you can't fit it all in.

In the end you don't have to do homework or study. There is the option to take failing grades for assignments not turned in or tests not prepared for.

In general no matter what grade you are in, college, or the real world many times things will need to be handled outside normal hours. If your solution was implemented how well do you think the college transition would go or even going straight into work where you have to work overtime, etc. It would be quite a shock.

In the end though you want longer days and longer calendar years to get everything done in school, lower requirements, or things the way they are?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
NO! Perhaps a little less homework but NOT No Homework.

I can explain why.

Learning, if the only learning you did was at school, with be associated with someone else always telling you what to read, what to think, how to understand, what ' this ' means. Homework opens up the opportunity to learn one VERY important thing, that YOU CAN teach yourself and learn by yourself.

You must learn to think for yourself. You must be given the opportunity or even take the opportunity to think the opposite of what you are being told and you must learn to think creatively and quickly on your feet.

Want to get your homework done fast. LEARN to do it fast!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Voyager1
How many parents are actually doing their kids home work so they can get a grade and just move on?
I've seen it, I know there must be others.

I think there are FAR more parents not interested in if the kids are even DOING homework then parents doing it for them. At least a parent doing the homework for them, shows they care about their children.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Heads up guys, this thread was written in 2006, it was necroed this morning. If you respond to the OP, he PROBABLY won't be reading it. Then even if he did, I think he's out of school by now.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join