It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework should be abolished

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So, ok.

If you didn't have homework, what would you be doing? I bet with the majority of kids, it would be one or more of these:

1) Playing video games
2) Watching TV
3) Playing outside
4) Going to the mall
5) Getting in trouble

You're not against homework, you're just against learning a prescribed material. This is because you don't pay for your education and you have no motivation to learn what is put in front of you. You're not learning the importance of deadlines either. If you ever go to college (highly doubtful as you don't like homework.. college is basically nothing but lectures and homework) then you're motivation is that you've paid $1800 dollars for 4 months, and at the end of 4 years and $30,000 dollars (or significantly more) you'll be able to apply what you've learned in your engineering courses to help develop a 100% efficient solar energy panel or whatever else to help shape the world.

This is exactly why America is so stupid today. This is why our country is full of lazy, fat, dumb, useless people who contribute nothing to society except for incessant whining about things they don't understand.

So, what would you be doing if you didn't have homework? I'm sure it's something along the lines of, "Oh, uh, studying the encyclopedia right after I'm done doing community service at the old folks home and animal shelter!"

What saints are the children who hate homework!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

I don't know if you are referring to me but I do go to college and maintain a decent GPA. I'm not a technical person, my strengths and interests lie in the social sciences and language arts. Call me lazy but I'll admit I'm a history major. Just because of that doesn't mean I sleep through Chemistry. I like science but I know it's not my best area. What a waste it would be for me to pursue a degree in mathematics or something (that's just me, much respect for the people with the abstract thinking ability required). That kind of sentiment is prevalent and problematic in this country, that if you don't work every waking second you are a bum. Enjoy life, and do what the heck you want. Don't be suckered into what the money-mongers tell you: your life is valued by how much money you make.

I guess you're referring to the OP. Well I still stand by what I wrote, and I'd like to add that maybe if the material wasn't some hogwash handed down from the federal department of education he'd have some interest in doing it.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by CapsFan8]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
teachers give homework to train kids. not teach. TRAIN. make them mindless robots that will do any task given. think about it. teachers can assign any crap assignment they want and kids will still do it.

That's why my kids go to a private school.

The philosophy there is that the parents are the ultimate judge of their own child's progress. The teachers and admin are there to help the parents educate their own children. So my kids do at least part of their homework with us.

The parent signs all homework at some point. You are signing that your kid has mastered that project, and doesn't need further work on it. If the parent signs a blank page, they are never second-quessed by the teacher. Which is incredibly liberating for the kid and the parent, too. We have had honest conversations about the "why" of school and homework and what we expect to achieve.

I have signed a blank page when my kid was so far past the essay that there was no point. I have also signed off on a blank page when one kid went with me on a business trip, and gave me a verbal report better thant the adults I was working with could do with their ADULT work for me!

On the other hand, I have asked for extra homework when one child was working on penmanship and showed what the wife said were signs of dyslexia. In the course of working with the kid, we determined that the child had fallen into lousy handwriting habits that were entirely age-appropriate. But we explained why we were concerned, and the child demonstrated compentence so we'd leave 'em alone.

Since it's a private school, the also miss out on 20-30 days a year wasted on Texas mandatory "testing for excellence" that doesn't teach a dratted thing, (other than that professional statisticians should never be left in charge of important institutions). The private schools only administer weekly quizzes, and course mastery level tests.

I think the whole of public education is rotten. Rotten to the core. My first move as "school Tsar" would be to revoke all laws demanding mandatory attendance. My kids go to one of the best schools in the state, because the only people who go there WANT to be there. If you removed all the hoodlums, loadies and rebel-posers, the rest of them could learn a lot faster. My next move would be to say that parents are the ones who are ultimately responsible for their kids' progress.

As frightening as that might be, I trust them more than I trust a bureaucrat who is paid to complicate the process (a teacher), who is paid to find faults why your kid doesn't excell that don't reflect back on the institution of school.

maybe I could build a safety net for kids whose parents don't care. But not at the expense of removing parents' responsibility to their own families--the core of civil society. When we absolved parents of responsibility, the whole system started falling apart.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'll be the first to admit, I despise homework. My face still gets all red with anger when I'm visiting my parents back home and they ask "Do you have any homework?" Seriously - I hate homework, but I wish I had of done it in Highschool. I barely did homework, I almost NEVER studied. As a result? My grades reflected this, and my study habbits carried with me to my first year of college - let me tell you, the lovely blast of cold water I got in my face, woke me the heck up.

My frist day of College, I was barely 18 and taking this first year Economics Class. My Professor walked in and his speech went something like this: "My name is Dr.Whatever and this is an introductory course to Microeconomics. I don't take attendance and I won't chase you for homework. Why? Because you're adults. Now, come to class, don't come to class. I Don't Care either way, because I still get paid."

I thought "Perfect. I'm gonna skip every damn one of these classes, and just hand in the assignments!" You wanna know what happend? I went into the Final Exam needing 80% to pass the course. So? I failed the course. And the best part? I was on Academic Probation for TWO semesters and NOW I have a nice little F on the bottom of my Academic Transcript. 4 years later, and its still there! Nevermind the other 6 Econ Classes I have taken to date, contributing towards my minor that are NOT F's... That F...sticks out like sore thumb. It hurts my eyes sometimes too when I look at it....

Doing homework in Highschool, I believe, is essential in developing personal time-management skills, personal responsibility etc.. etc.. all of which are qualities that will HELP you in Post-Secondary. The professors teaching? They all had homework too! After my frist year of College, I had to re-learn how to study. How to manage my time, becuase I had NO clue. In Highschool I didn't have 5 hours of homework everynight...BUT...I did have 5 hours of homework the night BEFORE all my homework and assignments were due. Time Management. And this is a lesson I am still learning today.

Sure I complain about homework, and as a matter of fact I just finished an Essay this morning, at 1:30am, and I wrote a Mid-term this morning at 11:30am, which, I was also studying for this morning when I woke up at 6:00am. Yeah Homework cramps my style and I'll be the first to admit that I despise homework, and if I was back in grade 11 or 12, I would agree with you my dear - abolish homework!

However...my views have changed, because as a 4th Year University Student:

If I wasn't paying through the freakin' nose for school...
If I didn't spend between $400 and $750 for textbooks PER semester
If I didn't have Goals...
If I didn't want a Ph.D...
If I wanted to end up working at McDonalds when I'm 32...

I wouldn't do my freakin' homework... Failing Simply isn't an option anymore. I am responsible for myself....not my parents. Not my teachers. Me. I am the one who will either be standing on the Podium with the other graduates - or I won't be. And it'll be my glory, or my fault respectfully.

Is the Education System Flawed? You bet it is, I will agree with you in that respect. But, your teachers aren't out to get you. You're teachers don't not want you to have a life. They're preparing you so that when you attend you're first day of College, you aren't overwhelmed by the LACK of supervision and the DRASTIC increase in self-responsibility. They want you to be the absolute BEST that you can. Well, I found that with my teachers anyway...

Some thoughts...

- Carrot

[edit on 10/2/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If you don't do your homework, how are you going to pass your tests? Seriously, if you can't stand doing lets say at LEAST 3 hours of homework a day how am I going to believe you're smart enough to learn the material during class? I'm a student, a D student, and yes homework sucks. But I've changed my ways and work my ass off, for C's because I'll admit I'm not the brightest person in the world but I try. If you want to succeed in life, you'll need to earn it. Banning homework is only going to increase the number of students who don't graduate from high school. Do you want to be part of that statistic?

[edit on 2-10-2008 by alien]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Worried
Homework should not be abolished at any cost.

dO you think I am right
Help me out

very very worried
sssssssssssscccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllll is interesting ,
boring

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that the people against homework mispell words more often than those for it?

However, I agree with Sardion2000. We need a better system. I'm in highschool now, grade 8 (I live in Australia), and I have Aspergers. I reckon we need the system completely redone all over the world. It isn't just America. Us in Oz have problems too. I often find things very boring because it's too easy. If we could go at our own pace we'd find it more interesting. In english we used to get sheets with the most pathetic homework ever.(How does 'The baby cried because it was(hungry;pyramid;mum) sound?) Now we can hardly stand. It just suddenly spiked.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 7Ayreon

Why ... because its too hhaarrdd?

Its this kind of thinking that is dumbing down america. I hear these ads on the radio about kids failing in school because of " allll the wooorrkkk". Its simple .. LISTEN ... take NOTES .. and STUDY. Stop worring about your myspace.. video games and work hard.

Its BS that people think they should get rewarded for doing nothing. My grandfather worked his ass off for a long time.. my dad, and myself worked hard for what we have today, and so should you!

STOP BEING LAZY~!

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If you don't like to do homework now, then be prepared to flip burgers or sell shoes for your living.

Every successful person has homework, all of their working lives. Lawyers have to prepare cases. Electricians, plumbers, and carpenters have to spec out jobs. Doctors never stop thinking about their patients. Historians and archaeologists need to do deep research.

It's for your own good. Use homework to build good study habits; it will pay off in the future.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
To the OP!
Sure in essence homework sucks right!! Its something that takes up all that video game time!! I mean why would you wanna learn something when you can be doing something that is a total waste of time right???

Hmmmm...

Well you will find the older you get, the homework never ends! And people like myself find homework to do! Just so I dont get rusty!
And whats best of all, when you grow up, you get to chose what homework you wanna do!

Which not only makes you smarter! But its great fun!!
You just need to find your nitch! And get dug in and find yourself something to do with that Time!!

When I was in school, I hated homework.. But you know what.. I sucked it up and did it..
And when I got older I was happy I did..

And Now it think homework is a Damn good thing!!!

Homework is what makes you as a person!!!

Do you want to be the grasshopper, or the ant?

If you don't like to do homework now, then be prepared to flip burgers or sell shoes for your living.

LOL Well put! Well put!!!

Can I have fries with that??? Is what you will be hearing alot of if you dont love homework!!!

[edit on 24-12-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
frankly if it weren't for homework I would have failed all my courses.

There are different types of learning styles, some students excel at in class assignment, they are excellent test takers etc. Others rely on homework assignments for grades.

I was a mix of these styles and while I didn't like the homework I did it anyway because I didn't know how to study properly therefore I wouldn't test very well. Vice-versa if I didn't pay attention in class I couldn't do my homework and in the process lose grades for it.

Sorry your homework sucks, but hey that's life and it only gets worse in college.

Suck it up and deal with it.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Homework is an essential part of learning the material yourself. I remember taking a class called Introduction to International Trade as an undergrad. My professor walked in and said HW wasn't mandatory and didn't count. Needless to say, I had better things to do then, I studied the night before the first test, and what happened? I got a 56 on it. Needless to say, the next two tests and the final I did all of the HW, submitted it to him, and got some more feedback. Got a 85 or better on each and ended up with a B. Homework sucks, but it helps in the long run.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I would abolish the school system of truth and half truths mixed in with some good old propaganda before pondering about homework in all honesty.The place is a child indoctrination factory on a big scale.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So many parents already take absolutely no interest in the education of their children. Homework is a way to encourage both kids and parents to be involved in their own development.

I can see why kids would do away with homework, but that's because you're kids. This is probably one of the best arguments stating that kids don't know what is best for them, they have less of an understanding of responsibility and the requirement to learn.

In an ideal world, all kids would be taught by their parents, in interesting and innovative ways, making everyone an individual. But this is not an ideal world, in order to survive in life you have to be able to compete in the society we have created. For that reason alone all kids should be learning as much as possible every hour of the day.

I agree that learning should focus on your interests though. And using homework to support this would be a lot better than giving kids a stack of work to do that they have no interest in.

The main problem with our education system is that governments believe "one frame fits all", it doesn't. Every kid is different, has a different learning speed, has different interests and different natural skills. But the way we manage it at the moment is very basic and not individually tailored to keep kids engaged.

So, homework is needed to encourage independent learning, encourage parents to be involved in the education of their kids, teach responsibility and the ethos of hard work. But I agree that all education (including homework) should be tailored to meet and encourage the skills and interests of the student.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I hold a degree from a major university and have enjoyed a successful career that has required higher skills, long hours and lots of effort.

However, I have not ever and do not now believe in homework except for the junior and senior years of high school just prior to college work. In those last two years before college, the homework should only consist of writing research papers properly.

I have always believed that free time in the evenings promotes a better family life, better socialization, better self esteem and time to be curious about the world on one's own. Homework is an unnecessary time drain on kids and robs them of their own natural curiosity in finding their own intellectual passions and interests.

Homework, whether intended to be or not, is a kind of punishment and should be abolished while overhauling and reforming the entire educational system.

I vote a solid NO to homework.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join