It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework should be abolished

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Study and homework are essential parts of the educational process. More so, it is a part of the maturation process. That is, accepting that one has to, at times, do things that they might not like to do but do out of a sense of self actualization.

I graduated college without doing hardly any homework. Certainly not bragging or anything, just saying that I paid attention in class, did whatever was REQUIRED/GRADED, and reviewed before exams and I did fine. And yes, I remember it...most of it..

I can remember people in my classes who did OK in the course, did all the homework and who laughed at me for not doing the homework.. yet, on the exams, I would score higher than they did... see, they did the homework, but they chatted during class and didn't pay attention and struggled with the homework and got by.

Maybe we can find a happy medium? Kids go to school and are faced with crime, stupid pressures to wear certain clothes, etc... so if we could shift away from that and use as much classroom time to actually teach, study and learn, well I bet as a nation we could be doing better then, without homework than we are doing now, with homework.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2
Sounds like another lazy student.

People wonder why American morals are going do hill.

Sad that ~50% of students were not able to find Iraq on a map.

No body is making you do homework or stay in school. Drop-out and become just another welfare case this countrey has to deal with.

Just notices that this student is located in Sakatoon, Canada and not the US----goes without saying that the US education system is still in serious trouble......

[edit on 28-9-2006 by ferretman2]

I am not another lazy student, I happen to be doing my homework and am a responsible student I am! I just happen to NOT ignore those who have 'difficultys' in school and are not getting any more help than modified classes. There is a problem with the system if you can possibly read on some amazing facts earlier in this thread enstead of being arrogant! That was a very rude assumption you just had to let out.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

I want to get ahead, but how can I when they make me stay at the same pace as all the other students with 3 hours of homework for stuff I already know.

Where have I heard that before? Oh, that was my head 35 years ago. You have a valid point there. You will like life in a University or College much better. You will be challenged I assure you. First you have to get there though. Life is full of boring things we have to do to succeed in life.

Education is not just about who has a better memory or a higher IQ. It is also about learning responsibility and developing a good work ethic. Bright students are always bored by High School. There is another kind of knowledge that you don't get from books called wisdom. Right about now you are thinking older people are dumb and you may be wondering why they can not see things the way you do. 10 years from now you are going to wake up and think, damn those people were smart and wonder why you did not listen to them. This little drama has been played out over and over again for generation after generation.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by InDirectViolation
Where have I heard that before? Oh, that was my head 35 years ago. You have a valid point there. You will like life in a University or College much better. You will be challenged I assure you. First you have to get there though. Life is full of boring things we have to do to succeed in life.

well I wont be going. My sister went, she had the grades though. All AP classes, straight A's. Sure she goes to a "great" college, has a "great" education, but that doesn't mean she's succeeding or shes even happy at all. Maybe you and I differ from what secceed means. When I die, I dont want to regret my life for the things I never got to do. If that means I can't go to a great college thats just going to waste 4 years of my life to get a piece of paper that says I know this, Im ok with that. Id rather not drop 100,000 dollars or be in debt with student loans for the rest of my life, for an education I could get at the library.

Im interested in learning, not the fruits of the piece of paper they give out on graduation. I read and learn for the sake of learning it, not because it can get me a great job or some good contract money wise. Im going to these school for the actual information I can get, not for the diploma. Im going for the free books, free materials, and free other things like lab materials. Im not taking this education to garentee me a job, Im taking this education to be able to do it. Im never going to be a physicist for some major company, Im doing it because I want to learn it. So whats the point of doing homework I already know?

Education is not just about who has a better memory or a higher IQ. It is also about learning responsibility and developing a good work ethic. Bright students are always bored by High School. There is another kind of knowledge that you don't get from books called wisdom. Right about now you are thinking older people are dumb and you may be wondering why they can not see things the way you do. 10 years from now you are going to wake up and think, damn those people were smart and wonder why you did not listen to them. This little drama has been played out over and over again for generation after generation.

I think we differ because in the end, we have different goals. You are talking about doing it to get a good job. Im not dropping 8-12 years to get an education, I dont have the money to survive and do college, let alone pay for the 8-12 years. 4 year diploma out of college means little now. 20,000 kids graduated from one new jersey college alone, mostly all 4 year degrees. You know what that is, 20,000 kid who think they are going to get a great job just because of that piece of paper and they will be very disappointed. That paper doesnt mean nearly as much as it use to, that much HAS changed.

I know that Im not going to college for 8-12 years, and Im going into the carpenters union. Paid hourly wages, benefits, and raises every 6 months. Now to me, carpentry is a job when Im at maxiumum pay, that will definately support a family (105,000 a year which is dead smack in the middle of middle class here). Money doesn't mean success to me at all, and it never will. So for me, Im educating myself for the sake of learning it and advancing in that field, not for the job.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Well grim, I'd hate to see you not go because of the money. There are ways to get financial help. But I understand that you want to go for the right reasons.

But it sounds like you're going to do allright anyway, as a carpenter. You've got a better plan than 80% of kids your age. You'll do well.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Study and homework are, perhaps, ways of allowing the teen to maintain control over oneself, teaching and establishing patterns of self-discipline that will remain for the rest of one's life.

Maintain control? MAINTAIN CONTROL? I almost commited suicide from homework coupled with trouble at school. I am in the top 12% of students my age at school, and when I really needed a break it wasn't there. One time walking home I felt like running onto the highway. I did once, almost got hit by SUV.

I don't know what kept me from killing myself, maybe, yeah it sounds nerdy, but my computer, at the end of the year when our reports are getting written, I could escape from real life and play a nice old video game with a bunch of internet peeps. I felt more calm, and relaxed.

Around that time I wasn't disruptive and didn't throw apples at people a year younger than me, which I usually do when I have tons of work to do. Also to other posters, do you really think that making myself almost killing myself and throwing apples at people is personal development? I think you do.

BTW: If any cops or anything is reading this let me say I'm past the stage and on holiday

[edit on 30-9-2006 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
What is "homework" but a part of the learning process? If you can read, complete the associated exercises, and comprehend and recall based on your "work" during the school day, you'll have no home "work". If you can't do the "work" of learning during school hours, then you'll need to do it outside of school hours. If you find that unpleasant, then it's more a matter of your atitude toward learning than anything else.

Home work isn't learning its more than often just repeditive maths sums which take me 3 hours of my time up when I could be having fun. And if I don't do it I get kicked out and get an F.

Learning process my ass. More like boring process.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PisTonZOR
Maintain control? MAINTAIN CONTROL? I almost commited suicide from homework coupled with trouble at school. I am in the top 12% of students my age at school, and when I really needed a break it wasn't there. One time walking home I felt like running onto the highway. I did once, almost got hit by SUV.

Let me first say that I don't want to sound pretentious, because I'm not. I know absolutely nothing about you except what you've shared here.

It sounds like you were suffering from overload. In your case, the homework got in the way of you being able to concentrate on what you describe as "trouble at school". Believe me, even adults suffer from overload. Your case is understandable.

Schools should be more tolerant of student needs. And it is no "failure" to be in the bottom half of your class. Too much pressure is put on achievement instead of true learning sometimes.

I don't know what kept me from killing myself, maybe, yeah it sounds nerdy, but my computer, at the end of the year when our reports are getting written, I could escape from real life and play a nice old video game with a bunch of internet peeps. I felt more calm, and relaxed.

Well, good. At least you found an escape mechanism that wasn't drugs or drinking. Even tho some games can be addictive.

Hang in there.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
to OP

what a load.

Homework = practice, helps you learn and stick in your head.

Ya really think yer going to learn just from a 45 min class?

it's your life I guess so do wha'evah ya want, it pays off in the end doing it but like i said it's wha'evah.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Thanks jsobecky

And it is no "failure" to be in the bottom half of your class. Too much pressure is put on achievement instead of true learning sometimes.

Yeah I know, but I'm at the top

Originally posted by Lysergic
to OP

what a load.

Homework = practice, helps you learn and stick in your head.

Ya really think yer going to learn just from a 45 min class?

it's your life I guess so do wha'evah ya want, it pays off in the end doing it but like i said it's wha'evah.

[edit on 30-9-2006 by Lysergic]

And you think I'm going to learn by doing 25 pages of this a night:
img91.imageshack.us...
rofl, I learned that 5 years ago and it's a pure time waster. It's the same thing for all my 7 subjects, just do the same old crap every night for a few hours

[edit on 30-9-2006 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yup.

School should be abolished, then there is nothing but homework! You study what interests you, encyclopedias, books published before 1900, mathematics, greek, latin, and science.

When everything is homework, then you the student, and the world will be better off than today. You will have rejected the Rockefeller inspired dumb down educational system, and all propagandized learning. You will be the decider, not some vague outside "authority figure," who tells you what to believe.

For more ideas on this concept, read John Taylor Gatto.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
all I have to say is Piston knows what Im talking about. Few Hours of homework about stuff I learned in 8th grade.

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   

After confessing that I did not read all 5 pages of this topic, I would state that when I will have kids I would not send them to school, rather I would do my best to neutrally show them all ways in life and let them make their choice.

By "neutrally" I mean not saying "this is a good way, that is the bad way. Which would you choose?", but showing them examples of what other people had achieved in life. For example, Joe had quit school to played computer all day and now he is flipping burgers. While John had studied all day, went to college, graduated, build a career and now has a wounderfull 9 to 5 job, he can lease a decent car, house and put away money for his retainment. On the other hand, Richard had also quit school when he was 16 and attempted to run his own magazine. So did Bill, who dropped out of college to open his own company. Henry also did not go to school.

Now, I would ask my kids, do you want to do nothing like Joe and flip burger or do you want to study hard like John and then work hard for someone all day long to be able to afford a car and a house, or do you want to be like Richard, Henry and Bill ?

If you want to be like Joe, obviously you do not need to go to school. If you want to be like John, obviously you have to go to school and study real hard. But if you want to be like Richard, Henry and Bill... think what would you need to achieve that? What kink of knowledge or personal characteristics? Would you get that in school or would school lead you another way? And so on...

So in brief, my believe is that
- everyone's got his own unique way in life.
- school, college & homework would make a great 9 to 5 worker out of you, but it won't make you an entrepreneur.
- if you want to achieve something in life, or at least be wealthy, you have to be an entrepreneur. You have to give job to other people and not look for someone who would give you a job.
- if you want to be an entrepreneur you have to learn to think on your own, believe in yourself, act according to YOUR thoughts and idea and take responsibility for the outcome.
- school would do it's best to teach you the opposite - think as you are told, act as you are told, disbelieve in yourself, you are not responsible for your life and you can't do anything about it.

[edit on 1-10-2006 by bratok]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Heres my plan: Do highschool, get pilot liscence, do what I love (flying), put chemtrails (which don't exist) all over Australia

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
Yup.

School should be abolished, then there is nothing but homework! You study what interests you, encyclopedias, books published before 1900, mathematics, greek, latin, and science.

When everything is homework, then you the student, and the world will be better off than today. You will have rejected the Rockefeller inspired dumb down educational system, and all propagandized learning. You will be the decider, not some vague outside "authority figure," who tells you what to believe.

For more ideas on this concept, read John Taylor Gatto.

Exactly. I always liked to say I taught myself more over the three-month summer than what I learned during the nine-month school year. Public education's primary purpose is to condition the individual for our capitalistic society. It molds the individual into a submissive worker who is easily exploited by the ruling class (and I mean the top 1% that controls like 90% of the wealth). If education were truly about 'learning', than it would be how Gatto described it, everyone autonomously pursuing their own interests. A common argument against this is that kids would just play games and stuff all day and not learn anything. Well, games can be great mediums for learning, and the reason kids are so hooked on computer games, tv, etc. is because they have been dumbed down by the educational system and consumerist society and discouraged from autonomous behavior through media steretypes, etc. (being called a 'nerd' carries some hard weight for a majority of kids).

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm seventeen and currently in yr 12 at a private school.

i agree that home work sux i hate it. i spend seven hours at school a day (my lovely school starts 1/2 hour earlier and 1/2 hor later than other schools... nice of them huh???) and and i am expected to complete 2 hours of home work a day for each main subject i have four of those such subjects so that equals a total of eight hours homework a day. plus assignments and study for my upcoming exams. however i do think that it disiplines u! 3 days a week i work sometimes four or five and i finish work at 9 most nights. most nights i dont get to sleep until three in the morning (i wake up at 6:30:flame
i get migraines on an almost daily basis from lack of sleep. i'm the good daughter i do as i'm told but the homework load is screwed!!!! same as my back from carrying all my text books and study materials in a heavy bag
but no matter how much homework i do im always just passing or just failing and it #s me off!!!

i don't think homework should be abolished .... just revised. say maybe 20-30 mins of home work for each subject. i think those that understand somthing should help those that don't.. it's what i do and i greatly appreiciate it when people do it for me. i'm not talking about doing their homework for them but just explaining it often helps so much. teachers these days are so crap ( not all but most) and it drives me nuts! as i said i'm in yr 12 and my english teacher hand us our assignments . that's it. oh right she'll hand them back when she's finnished marking them. all the students in every one of her classes ( including junior school) have complained yet our pleas fall on deaf ears. it's time they pulled their fingers out of their arses and actually helped fix the problem, rather than adding to it.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
You're being conditioned sothat when you get to college you'll be able to cope.

In college you do about 3 hours of work for each hour in the classroom. If you're not ready to do the work by having been conditioned to it while in high school it's going to be a real shock.

However, I think that homework needs to be age appropiated. Your assignments prior to junior high should be relatively short. In junior high maybe an hour per night max. By the time you get to high school, no more than 1-2 hours per night.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
seekerof, Im guessing you haven't been to highschool lately. Teachers don't care if you copy homework, just as long as you dont do it while they are talking.

These teachers just dont give a crap. They give you homework, and you can hand in a paper with irrelevent answers and still get points. You could have the same answers as 5 other people, and get full credit just because the teachers dont even read the homework.

its not just me having to do it, its all the kids copying other students homework and flying by in school without knowing jack. Some kids are passing highschool and hardly being able to tell you the difference between noun and verb. Senior english, we had to go over how to create a sentence yesterday because how many kids were making incomplete sentences. Homework doesn't solve that problem.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

i happen to agree whole heartedly with you my teachers drive me nuts. and it's not because they give me homework its because they don't do anything!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
Theres no excuse for lazyness if it was up to me I would make school 7 days a week and extend the hours and homework. The youth of today wouldnt know working if it came up and slapped them with a wet fish. Sometimes I really think the human race is de evolving I could swear every year the youth look more and more like apes.

More schooling might be the only way to pull our country back from disaster as well as a forced enlistment in the Armed forces for a few years.

i find this disgusting read my post (from earlier) and you will know that i'm not lazy. most the girls in my school are in the same boat. you can't judge us by a few idiots who can't be bothered to do their work!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
As far as homework, my approach in high school worked out perfect.
I just didn't do any. I worked out that if I made a "0" on my home work, but made "A's" and "B's" on my test the overall grade would be a "C".
I passed high school with a "C" average and went on to college where I had 3.86 gpa.
College didn't make me do homework.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join