It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework should be abolished

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Look at it this. The next time you are upset that some service job was outsourced to India, or a foreigner gets a job instead iof you here in this country, you can thank the lower level of intellect you gained as a result of the already malfunctioned American public education system. You ever wonder why when a students transfers here from another country, they typically get skipped ahead?

Probably because the only things our young citizens can do is complain about homework getting in their way of having fun.

Hey I was upset too when my cousin came from colombia at 14, I was 16, and she ended up as a sophmore while I was still a freshman!!

Well don't worry I hated homework too, and look where it got me! I got kicked out of school, in and out of juvee/jail from 16-18, convicted felon, and now I work at Wal-Mart...

I hope my self ridicule will help you understand why it is essential you begin to enjoy your schooling, and I am only 20 years old.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
DYepes whats the point of homework to begin with though? Reinforcement. If I don't need the reinforcement, why should it be counting so much toward my grade? If I can ace the tests, why should I be almost failing cause of homework?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well, the American people need to gripe on the US GOVT for the right reasons. It's not money all the time, and the system is so over-flitered, and so over-ran by their union and the goverment, that they hurt the students and workforce at far too many levels. Even if the economy is booming.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Honestly the reason I won't get a scholarship for grades is probably because homework brings my grades down 2 letters at least, some classes more.

when you have homework as 50% of the grade, it doesn't matter whether you know the material or not, you don't do the homework and you fail.

What this screams to an employer is; the person is smart but they are lazy. How would anyone know they could rely on them to meet a deadline or do their job without constant supervision? It gives the person who went the extra mile a real advantage in the job market. They may be the best employee a company could have. There is no way of knowing that if their transcripts are bad. Nobody is going to spend the money to find out.

Two of the biggest problems I see is athletics and cheating, not homework. Athletics may be fun, but chances of going Pro are infinitesimal. Cheating means not only can the person not be trusted, they are to lazy to do the work. Homework is the best means of making sure someone is doing the work.

If a person truly does not have time to do homework, how can they have time to chat on the Internet? It takes a lot of time to get 90,000+ points here in one year I would think??????????

[edit on 9/27/2006 by InDirectViolation]

[edit on 9/27/2006 by InDirectViolation]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hey your talking to me man! I had straight F's in my first semester in high school with a 0.0 GPA. I thought I was too cool for homework, and for the exams as a matter of fact. the next year when I actually tried to straighten up because my AP threatened to kick me out I had only A's and B's on my exams. I got kicked out anyways for helping my friend ditch alcohol he brought to school while he was totally drunk. She was just fed up.

You choosing a diff route. You continued to at least try to do it. I just straight up stopped, and then fell into crime. Thankfully I was saved, and although I still have a long way to go, am rehabilitating my life. Just do your homework and stop complaining. Its not fun to have to go number two in front of three other guys who are glaring at you angrily because they need to hurry up and use it also.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I guess back then kids didnt need jobs in highschool. Dont worry though I just quit my job so that I could do my homework. Course that means I have no way to pay insurance, so no car, I have no way to pay for college either, so lets hope that homework pays off and gets me a full scholarship cause people like me, we dont have parents that pay for it. We get a job and work 40+ hours during the summer, then 30+ during the school week.

nothing like waking up at 630, going to school, getting hom at 230, going to work at 330 and getting home at 11. weekends? extra hours.

Homework wasn't created to prove how lazy a student is, thats what projects are for. Homework is for reinforcement. The more its reinforced the more you will remember it. I don't need homework to remember it, so why should I have to do it. we don't all learn the same and do things the same. Give out as much home work as you want, just dont make it the deciding factor of passing of failing.

you wonder why kids are so stupid these days? cause one kid does the homework, passes it off to 10 different kids who pass because they only need a 65 on tests and quizes to pass the class with a C or better since homework counts for so much. Your all going in the wrong direction, you think homework proves something. it only reinforces something. projects, tests, and class work prove something, homework just reinforces it.

edit:
believe it or not, I only have 2000 post for over a year. reason I have so many points? Well I did ATSNN articles, almost 50, and Ive gotten who knows how many applauses. I was also awarded a large sum of points for something I did for the site. I would say a majority of those points are from my quality of posts, not quanitity.

but yes, during school actually Id be on ATS. During lunch I would go to the library and post on ATS. Back when I didnt have a job in 05 because my mom works 3 jobs and I had no way to get to work, I posted here.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

If I can ace the tests, why should I be almost failing cause of homework?

Let me ask you something:
If you know how to drive, does it mean that you can handle driving a race car?
If you know how to boil an egg or make toast, does it mean that you know how to cook?
This can go on....

Think about.
Personally, all of you whining and crying about homework and its being required, for which most of you are still trying to discern the reasons as to why you are haivng to do it, need to simply grab a tissue and deal with it.

Spare us the 'a' typical teenage "I know it all" mentality and attitudes.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
seekerof, Im guessing you haven't been to highschool lately. Teachers don't care if you copy homework, just as long as you dont do it while they are talking.

These teachers just dont give a crap. They give you homework, and you can hand in a paper with irrelevent answers and still get points. You could have the same answers as 5 other people, and get full credit just because the teachers dont even read the homework.

its not just me having to do it, its all the kids copying other students homework and flying by in school without knowing jack. Some kids are passing highschool and hardly being able to tell you the difference between noun and verb. Senior english, we had to go over how to create a sentence yesterday because how many kids were making incomplete sentences. Homework doesn't solve that problem.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

seekerof, Im guessing you haven't been to highschool lately. Teachers don't care if you copy homework, just as long as you dont do it while they are talking.

These teachers just dont give a crap. They give you homework, and you can hand in a paper with irrelevent answers and still get points. You could have the same answers as 5 other people, and get full credit just because the teachers dont even read the homework.

its not just me having to do it, its all the kids copying other students homework and flying by in school without knowing jack. Some kids are passing highschool and hardly being able to tell you the difference between noun and verb. Senior english, we had to go over how to create a sentence yesterday because how many kids were making incomplete sentences. Homework doesn't solve that problem.

I will confirm that as a student, that this is all true and it is happening. Nothing is being done about it. Infact it just happend to me last week in science, my partner and I went in for a lab assesment and we finished last with very accurate results, in the end up the deadline was cutting in while the rest of the class finished a half hour before us because they copied one another. The teacher literally came in and walked up to us with someones paper and told us, "You worked hard enough, copy this."

[edit on 27-9-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

seekerof, Im guessing you haven't been to highschool lately.
Teachers don't care if you copy homework, just as long as you dont do it while they are talking.

Those teachers allowing you folks to do such should be fired.
They are one of the reasons why our (ie: the US) public education systems is swirling slowly down the proverbial toilet.

Let me say it again: They should be fired!

its not just me having to do it, its all the kids not doing it flying by in school without knowing jack. Some kids are passing highschool and hardly being able to tell you the difference between noun and verb. Senior english, we had to go over how to create a sentence yesterday because how many kids were making incomplete sentences. Homework doesn't solve that problem.

Heh, do not feel bad.
I graded the paper of a Junior college student Monday and it was riddled with incomplete, incoherent, fragmented sentences. Fire the teachers early and those of us teaching higher education (college) will not have to deal with the continued inability of "just-graduated-from-highschool" college bound students. If this is not dealt with harshly in the near future, higher education (college) will become nothing but highschool continued Part II--meaning that at least when they do graduate from college, instead of simply acquiring a major, they will have acquired the skills to be able to write a few simple coherent sentences or a complete paragraph, something of which, they should have learned in late middle school or early high school. :shk:

The US education system needs serious reforming, if not a total overhauling.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Those teachers allowing you folks to do such should be fired.
They are one of the reasons why our (ie: the US) public education systems is swirling slowly down the proverbial toilet.
[edit on 27-9-2006 by Seekerof]

I have to agree with you but teachers getting fired, that may be a bit too drastic. There needs to be enforced teacher and student discipline.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Grim and 7, those who copied those papers will reap what they sow. the probability that many of them will end up performing poorly in college, if they go, and perhaps not completeing it. they will juggle multiple meager jobs, probably birth children they will not raise properly. Of course there are those who will learn from those mistakes and attempt to reform themselves.

then there are those who will take my route, just refuse to do anything and fall into crime as well. I reformed though.

the homework is not to prove anything to them, it is for yourself. By doing your homework, you will have maintained the discipline and integrity to follow through with tasks properly, also building upon your own education.

I do know about the tachers, and thats why I did not even care. I use to sit there and give answers to my friends in front of the only teacher I was exposed to that acted that way on certain tests and I would not even do it myself. I still do not understand why I was the way I was. I look back now and wonder why? It was sooo easy, and yet I just would not do it.

Thankfully I already have much planned to teach my own child why they should be respectful of the honest teachers. Seeker, now that I think about it I should also teach my child that such teachers as I have witnessed, and grim and 7 are talking about should be reported to the school district. That is quite simple to do in this digital age.

Homies, keep going mans don't lose your will power and discipline. The damn work is just too damn easy to not do it!!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Homework is a hidden ploy to get parents involved in their child's education/life. I have fond memories of this growing up.

However I do think there should be less of it. With all the work that comes home each day, I'm starting to question what work get's done at school.

One member stated children are dumber. I think children today are brilliant. The school system is a lot more difficult today by comparison to even one generation ago. And that put's a great deal of pressure on children today, but dumber they certainly are not.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I am sorry Harp, but I agree kids are dumber. when I went to get my GED at a local high school, i could not believe the sheer idiocy of my peers. How do you spend 90 days in a forty five day class? I was done in 22 days but forced to stay the remaining 23 before I could take the test. WTF! I almost quit the class just for that reason even though I was done. thankfully the teacher would let us get an hour to play hangman and cards... what wonderful learning experience

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I guess back then kids didnt need jobs in highschool. Dont worry though I just quit my job so that I could do my homework.

Smart move. You have history wrong though. We had no government guaranteed student loans. There were no grants. If your parents were not wealthy you had to work starting in High School to pay for College. I worked graveyard shift pumping diesel and carried a full load. If you do not need to work, don't. It's not something I would wish on others.

believe it or not, I only have 2000 post for over a year. reason I have so many points? Well I did ATSNN articles, almost 50, and Ive gotten who knows how many applauses. I was also awarded a large sum of points for something I did for the site. I would say a majority of those points are from my quality of posts, not quanitity.

You seem to be very bright and I applaud you for that. This is a discussion I would expect from someone much older. Hang in there. You will go far.

[edit on 9/28/2006 by InDirectViolation]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Here's my 2 cents worth on this thread. Homework is fine for certain rote memory subjects like history, spelling and perhaps basic math skills. For any other subject it's basically just busy work.

My youngest sister is the director of Music dept at the High School level in Texas. She's taught music at all 3 levels of primary education. We've discussed the public education system at times and agree on one thing, it's primary focus is socialization of the students and not real education. Our education system is still based on 19th century models of industrial production to produce a basically educated workforce. Schools are just factories. We're not training people to think independently or develop real problem solving skills. I believe that our education system model is now obsolete and has been turned into basically an enforced form of daycare.

It's time that we started to teach our children how to observe, evaluate and make their own deductions to solve problems. Many studies show that when students develop their own methods of solving math problems, that their test scores are higher than those who learn by rote methods and they solved them faster than rote trained students.

The one subject that I would eliminate completely would be History but a would replace it with American Govt from Jr. High on. Most students these days don't know their basic rights as citizens and how their govt is supposed to work.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I noticed that there seems to be no time for homework, yet plenty of time to post here on ATS.

And I have seen no link to truancy as a function of homework.

Professional athletes spend countless hours doing "homework". As do lawyers, doctors, shop owners, engineers, and any other discipline.

I doubt very much if the reason that kids skip school is because of the homework. When they do decide to attend, the homework is still there. It's the same as life; you may try to sleep your life away, or do drugs as an avoidance mechanism, but life is still there when you wake up or sober up.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Sounds like another lazy student.

People wonder why American morals are going do hill.

Sad that ~50% of students were not able to find Iraq on a map.

No body is making you do homework or stay in school. Drop-out and become just another welfare case this countrey has to deal with.

Just notices that this student is located in Sakatoon, Canada and not the US----goes without saying that the US education system is still in serious trouble......

[edit on 28-9-2006 by ferretman2]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I have no problem with Homework or making homework part of my grade. But I dont see why I should be penalized because I think working or reading physics books in my spare time (did that for most of junior year) is a better use of my time If I know the material.

I want to get ahead, but how can I when they make me stay at the same pace as all the other students with 3 hours of homework for stuff I already know.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
grim......there are special advanced schools with high educational learning......if you are smart enough you can even start college early.

Or if your a genius you can drop out and start a business like Bill Gates did....(dropped out of college).

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join