It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homework should be abolished

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
If the current education system wasn't such a joke, they could probably get away with giving less homework, but I think it would still be necessary to have it. There is only so much you can learn by listening to someone talk. The rest, you have to go out and do it.

I'm inclined to agree with you friend. I have about decided that if it weren't for homework kids would learn little. The parent still has to figure out WTH there lesson is and teach it to them anyhow. Cus most of the time they have no clue what to do.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I just suck at school overall.

Homework? I hav'nt done that in years

Probebly since 6th grade.

It never was appealing. Anyway i'm free from school. During my high school years tho, I was hardly at school. And when i went to school, I sold drugs, cigarettes, and skipped. My sophmore year, had 70 absences in some classes. WOW now that i look back on it, I'm glad its over with. School was just a bad influence for me
Anyway I've been working since i was 15 and am so now. And lifes good. I have about 15 grand saved for the down payment on a house in the near future, and i own a car. But I believe for the kids who choose to get an education, homework is necesary. It's kind of like work for me, I do physical labor and it's never appealing, but in order to get paid I have to do it. Just like homework, if you want to learn the material in order to succed in school, you have to study it. Look at it this way, have you ever got a really good grade on a test witout studing?

Oh and let me say one thing.

Stay in SCHOOL

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sympthons_WDF
Look at it this way, have you ever got a really good grade on a test witout studing?

Understandable, likewise - studying for a test should only be done during school hours. That's how I see everything school related, it should only be within its hours of operation.. Like when your finished work for example, your done and ready to go home to get some rest and what not.

Good point to everyone's oppinions on this matter

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Here's my current situation based around Austrlian Schooling in year 11. I am 17 years old.

Hours in a week = 168

School:-
School hours per week = 24
Homework = 4 HOURS PER NIGHT incl. Weekends (Public School too...)

So that bumps my total school related hours per week to: 21 + 24 = 52 hours

Work:-
We are encouraged to get a part time job... so I did.

Part Time roster at supermarket = 12 hours per week

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so that's 64 hours a week. But the schools are also recommending that we do extra study and take up weekend sports etc. Which is a downright joke seeing as I had to drop playing football after 8 years because I no longer had time.

I'm not saying homework needs to be removed but it needs to be lightened.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Theres no excuse for lazyness if it was up to me I would make school 7 days a week and extend the hours and homework. The youth of today wouldnt know working if it came up and slapped them with a wet fish. Sometimes I really think the human race is de evolving I could swear every year the youth look more and more like apes.

More schooling might be the only way to pull our country back from disaster as well as a forced enlistment in the Armed forces for a few years.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
Theres no excuse for lazyness if it was up to me I would make school 7 days a week and extend the hours and homework. The youth of today wouldnt know working if it came up and slapped them with a wet fish. Sometimes I really think the human race is de evolving I could swear every year the youth look more and more like apes.

More schooling might be the only way to pull our country back from disaster as well as a forced enlistment in the Armed forces for a few years.

How do you define laziness?

1. averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.
2. causing idleness or indolence: a hot, lazy afternoon.
3. slow-moving; sluggish: a lazy stream.

I find that definition vague to the situation of how students suffer from ADHD, or as sardion2000 says gain of eidetic memorys where clearly there is a difference amungst learners.

Frankly ..laziness isn't the word I would use

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by chissler
Up to 5 hours of homework a night? I'm not buying that for a second.

It depends on the student. Me personally, what one normally would finish in a couple of hours would take me like 40 minutes, but the kid who sat next too me worked twice as hard and finished half the work in twice the normal time(4 hours normally, I used to help him in English). That's why individually tailored lessons are needed. All kids are treated equal depending on the class, this is bad because we aren't all equal learners even though we are all equal in our right to education. There are people out there that are increadibly slow learners, but they have eidetic memories. A lot of these people end up either feeling harried by the pace or neglected and left behind. The result is they usually drop out and get a low wage job until they realize they need that piece of paper to make money so they go and get a GED(Good enough diploma) to get themselves into a trade. Some of them are truely wasting their potential. Some have found it through this way(which could have been guided and encouraged by the system instead of trying to fit everyone into a static mold...erm "curriculum"...)

[edit on 26-9-2006 by sardion2000]

Hypathetical example:
There is a constant problem; a battle with the strong and weaker minded (no offense). The stronger minded are well off than the ones who fall behind, resulting in selfish ignorance for those who have to deal with the pressure pressed against them. I don't see those 'well off' helping to find a solution other than modifying classes for those 'not so well off'. This all results in a negative outlook! We as a society should all work together, not in separation because of our differences. We should be able to cope with one another positively, equally; in a fashioned manner where interfering issues become less of. That is where my verdict steps into place:

School work done only during school hours of operation. We are encouraged to take less of 'workaholic' overtime with the relief of time off/rest//refreshness so on so fourth. That being done improves our stamina and efficiency.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   

our kids are getting dumber and you want to stop homework????

That is directly caused by poor teachers. Teachers(most not all) take no active roll in actually teaching basic subjects to children, they give out assignments and then grade them....no teaching is actually involved. In my entire education, I had only 4 teachers that could actively teach a subject during class so that the students retained the knowledge being discussed. Homework does nothing for a child if no one can help him/her at the time of doing the work, and this is basicly a way for the teacher to sluff off the actual part of teaching to the parents......so why are teachers being paid to grade papers and not teaching?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
Hypathetical example:
There is a constant problem; a battle with the strong and weaker minded (no offense). The stronger minded are well off than the ones who fall behind, resulting in selfish ignorance for those who have to deal with the pressure pressed against them. I don't see those 'well off' helping to find a solution other than modifying classes for those 'not so well off'. This all results in a negative outlook! We as a society should all work together, not in separation because of our differences. We should be able to cope with one another positively, equally; in a fashioned manner where interfering issues become less of. That is where my verdict steps into place:

School work done only during school hours of operation. We are encouraged to take less of 'workaholic' overtime with the relief of time off/rest//refreshness so on so fourth. That being done improves our stamina and efficiency.

ahh help out the weaker minded, you mean giving you my resources because you, for some reason, can't generate the outputs that I do? Take some responsibility and just accept your failure, not that you failed because I didn't help you.. In the end, someone is succeeding without any help, and that should be you.

mod edit: removed nested quote
Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

a battle with the strong and weaker minded (no offense). The stronger minded are well off than the ones who fall behind, resulting in selfish ignorance for those who have to deal with the pressure pressed against them.

Really? In my experience, the strong willed are usually the first to drop out of school because they arrogantly think they can deal with life without education, because some other douche(or JACKASS?) on TV did the same.

I don't see those 'well off' helping to find a solution other than modifying classes for those 'not so well off'.

Really? You actually think that? .... Well, now that I think about it, I don't blame you.
It can really seem like that sometimes. I think people just have an atitude of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." These people are blinded by the status-quo. They're too "hide bound" to think out of the box. I don't think it's being done maliciously, it's a cultural thing.

This all results in a negative outlook! We as a society should all work together, not in separation because of our differences. We should be able to cope with one another positively, equally; in a fashioned manner where interfering issues become less of.

Umm, but curriculums shouldn't be cookie cutters to force kids into a specific pre-determined mold. Never did I say that the kids should be isolated from one another, the individualist curriculm should encourage kids of different age groups to work together to help little Johnny on his Math problem or little Suzy with her Spelling problem.

That is where my verdict steps into place:

Which is what I said before. Homework time should be replaced by additional school time(where a portion will be manditory Library time).

ahh help out the weaker minded, you mean giving you my resources because you, for some reason, can't generate the outputs that I do? Take some responsibility and just accept your failure, not that you failed because I didn't help you.. In the end, someone is succeeding without any help, and that should be you.

So basically, what you're saying, is let the weak swimmers drown, right? Social Darwinism doesn't work because those that fail simply don't die like they do in nature. A weak, uneducated mind is a drain for society as a whole.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Homework is used as a component to create responsibility.

When you enter university, 95% of the work your required to do is at home or on your own time. Most students are in school 25 hours a week, lets say you do 1 hour of homework a night. Your left with a total of 30 hours a week of work to do. Enjoy this while you can.

i personaly think you are a little off on the 1 hour my nephew is in 6th grade and he regularly comes home with a good 2 hrs of homework.

my cousins kids come home home with 3-4 hours of homework they are in the 9th and 10th grades.

My son just started kindergarten and he comes home with homework a few times a week, i remember when i was in school i didnt start to recieve homework till around the 4th grade, while i dont agree with abandoning it i think they need to rethink the work load they are putting on some of these kids and try to stop over loading them.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
I believe it's time that adults finally listen to the youth and take there word for it that homework SUCKS. Therefore, teachers should not issue studying, homework etc. be done at HOME. School takes a large portion of our lives as it is, and half of our bloody day. So what I'm saying is that once school is over for the day - that is IT! No homework or anything to do with school until we go to school the next day. Studying for tests should only be done at school, period. Why do I think it should be this way? Because I believe this will SIGNIFICANTLY end students from skipping school. Homework = skipping school, no homework = ends skipping school significantly (not completely because of bullying etc. etc).

Take the message from the Media themselves for example, "ReFresh". They are telling employees to Relax more during lunch hour and STOP over working. Its the same thing with education. Get the point I'm trying to make?

This is a topic we're discussing in one of my writing classes. It's funny because my professor loads us with homework talking about the pros and cons of homework.
Seriously... I barely squeak by with all the homework I'm given.

I don't know if it should be abolished though... there's only so much that can be discussed in one class and it sticks with you if you're bogged down meditating about it for several days after the initial class.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
A little background... I have 3 teenage kids, 2 boys - 14 and 15 and a teenage girl 17. Oldest boy will be going to Duke University at 17 (already has the scholarship) and he finds school work totally easy and doesn't have to work very hard (loves homework). Younger boy makes very good grades but works his butt off for each one of them (homework sucks, but he does it). Daughter, well - she thinks that school sucks period. To her school should only be a social event where you get together with your friends. She doesn't know what homework is... "homework sheets, oh, you mean those papers that they give out to draw pictures on or write notes to your friends?".

They all have had pretty much the same teachers, same subjects, just different outlooks. Oldest son is very outgoing (company CEO someday). Younger son is pretty free spirited but does what he's told he needs to do without bitching (middle management). Daughter is rebelious - hard headed - wants life handed to her (say hello to her next time you order a Big Mac, she'll be the one saying "Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order).

At first I blamed myself for failing my daughter... then I blamed the school and the crappy teachers (they really do suck now adays)... but in the end I really can only blame my daughter. She is the one that decided that social life was more important than doing the work. She is the one with her priorities in the wrong place. Life is full of choices and some choose to actually work and others choose to be lazy. In the end... my son who worked hardest in school will most likely work the least in life. And unfortunately my daughter who worked the least in school will now have to work harder in life to make ends meet. Middle son, well, he'll most likely work hard but have an hour lunch and pretty good benifits - and a balanced social life.. probably pretty happy mowing his urban developement yard, eat dinner at the same time every evening, and enjoy watching his kids grow up (the white picket fence life we all should live). I do. Homework doesn't suck... it makes you who you are going to be in your future. So, I will have to say... see you next time I drive threw McDonald's... maybe you will be the one making the burgers that my daughter will be peddling out the drive-thru window.

Only advice... ask for more homework... throw away the calculator and actually learn how to do the Math yourself... stay in school as long as you possibly can. Do the work... the only social life you need is between classes and on weekends. If you need more - invite friends over and do your homework together. It really is your choice what life has in store for you... do the work and succeed in life... don't do it and flip burgers. No problem. But if you are only gonna bitch about it - then drop out so the little time the teacher does have can be spent on a kid that does want the help. That is one main problem... too many kids just want to take up space - the ones that want help are left behind because of them.

Stop ignorance - get educated!!!

~Candyman~

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Lol,

I work 12-20 hours a week, go to school 4-6 hours a day and am forced to do homework 3+ hours per day.

The school system wants us to do 8 hours of sport a week (which I had to give up because of school) and encourages extra study...

And then they recommend 10 hours of sleep per night? I have SO much stuff to do each day that it is literally impossible for me to get more than 6.

So some days I have this schedule:-

Wake up - 7am
Get ready for school
Get on the bus - 8am
Get to school and start at 8:40
Finish school at 3pm
Work until 9pm
Homework until 1am

And you're calling me lazy?

Please...

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I agree that homework sucks, but as a college student who works full time and go to school full time, I find it hard to find the motivation to do it sometimes. I wish I could work less but I cant afford not to work full time. I will say that the work I do out of class, mainly lit reviews and research are very necessary to my future career whatever it may be after I graduate next year. But it is a complete and utter pain in the rear. But the tests and in-class work are so much easier when you do your reading and studying out of class.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I thought the Muppet show had finished, but clearlly one of them escaped and is trying to find a audience. What a Muppet.......

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
OMG ! ! !

I was thinking about boycotting hw in my school but i gave up on that idea because unless everyone agrees, its a no go !

Most people i spoke to would be scared of failing since HW counts for 30% of our grade which is utterly ridiculus.

link   
OMG ! ! !

I was thinking about boycotting hw in my school but i gave up on that idea because unless everyone agrees, its a no go !

Most people i spoke to would be scared of failing since HW counts for 30% of our grade which is utterly ridiculus.

link   
I am in school right now lol.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I know when I was back in school I thought that homework really did suck, and yea it does completely dominate your life. However I am finished in school now and currently studying at university, and to tell you the truth I believe doing homework back in school has actually allowed me to actually manage my time for my course...If you think homework sucks, wait until you have to write thesis's or something similar to that, thats when your lose your social life.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
So basically, what you're saying, is let the weak swimmers drown, right? Social Darwinism doesn't work because those that fail simply don't die like they do in nature. A weak, uneducated mind is a drain for society as a whole.

[edit on 27-9-2006 by sardion2000]

You are distorting everything. Its people like you who are so arrogent to accept a whole much better way for all of us to get along! You make up these rif-raff storys that undermine the very purpose!!

And now I wasn't saying "let the weak swimmers drown" thats pathetic and stupid. I meant was the strong minded should help!! > = [ Enstead of setting aside a problem the vast majority have, by shoving them in modified classes!!! Doing so, says that people like that 'set them aside' cause its a problem they dont want to deal with!! Well I say the problem shouldnt be set aside, it should be FIXED where we all work together! In some same routine where there isn't much of that problem remaining!

Now there's a completely new situation brought forth to this discussion is that now we got to have a tug of war to determin which way to go! That is a waste of time, if it were your way on things, there would have not been a discussion after all! So let's contribute to the fact that what if homework CAN be abolished by finding a better structure for the educated to do without having to slave away after school hours of opperation!!! Doing so would ultimately increase there efficiency and stamina! Its all there!

Another thing I'd like to add is that I am pleased to know that contributers to this discussion share there childrens success's, I personally would say "great job! Congratulations!" honestly. However. That points back to what I was saying earlier, there are those seperated from 'other' learners.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join