It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What really matters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
One day I was buying myself a slice of pizza at a local mom and pop shop near where I work. After I payed I noticed they had placed 2 charity box donation side by side. One was for the SPCA (animal charity) and another for Unitedway (mostly poor children) , I noticed that the SPCA one had tons of money even a lot of bills and in canada the smallest bill we have is a $5. The United way one had only coins. Now my question is.. Are we taking care more of "pets" than we are of our human brothers? and if we are isnt there somethign wrong with that? heres another point that dawn upon me. a lot of animal lover people dont even buy clothing that has been made from any kind of animal. And as we all know it most of the things that are made synthetically; are made in sweat shops and some times even by children. again putting the welfare of animals before people. I have a pet and I love animals BUT i would never put an animal before a person.

my question to you all what really matters most?

the welfare of animals
or
the welfare of humans?

what box would you put your money on? one for cute animals? or one for starving children?

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well,the problem with all of the "Feed The Hungry" programs is that the money donated often times does not get to the needy. It lines some "head honchos'" back pocket.People are reluctant to give to any charity because of that trend.

[edit on 26-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 26-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Perhaps the hungry animal box doesn't need to be emptied as much as the hungry hungry humans donation box? I'd kinda doubt people would give more to animal charities, but humanity does have a way of surprising me sometimes.

But then consider, what IF people are actually giving more to animal charities? Why would they? Perhaps because humans are smart enough to not have kids when they can't afford it. Humans could/should be more responsible, simply because they have the capability to be. Animals are largely based on instinct. Maybe this is the thinking of those donating to animal charities?

Then again it's not the child's fault if it's born to irresponsible parents... there are multiple views you can take on this subject and I'm not really making any particular point... just offering suggestions.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Perhaps the hungry animal box doesn't need to be emptied as much as the hungry hungry humans donation box? I'd kinda doubt people would give more to animal charities, but humanity does have a way of surprising me sometimes.

But then consider, what IF people are actually giving more to animal charities? Why would they? Perhaps because humans are smart enough to not have kids when they can't afford it. Humans could/should be more responsible, simply because they have the capability to be. Animals are largely based on instinct. Maybe this is the thinking of those donating to animal charities?

Then again it's not the child's fault if it's born to irresponsible parents... there are multiple views you can take on this subject and I'm not really making any particular point... just offering suggestions.

I just had to respond to this, what I read here is the most egoistical thing I have ever read. Yes, it is not a wise thing, to bring children into the world, if you are poor but why are you poor?
There are more than enough food and money to go around, the poor did not create the capitalistic, egoistical and greedy society people as you did.

First basic need of a living being is self-preservation, if you are poor, the only way to insure someway of self-preservation for you when you are old is by having children, and you need lots, because some will probably die before you grow old.

How can you be responsible for wanting to survive when you are poor and starving?
I can tell by your post that you never needed anything important to sustain your existence.

It is a growing worldwide problem and we in the western world are to blame, our capitalistic society leaves no room for those who can not adapt, I say raise the top income tax, and give it to the lowest income tax payers.

If you make more than 1 million dollars a year you have more than enough you do not need what you earn besides that, you do not need your Lamborghini when people are dying from easily curable diseases and starvation.

My generation is just excessively spoiled.

Take responsibility for your fellow human beings that are suffering. Instead of saying me, me and me all the time. Also i know you write in the end you are making suggestions, though the thoughts you made to write that is just plain and simple evil.

I am sorry for this rant, but I just got pissed of by reading this reply. And had to vent it, remember it is healthy to vent anger.

To the OP, I think you are right I am afraid you are right. People care more about their fluffy dog than children dying, because they in their perverted mind keeps saying to themselves that the poor and starving brought them upon themselves.
I have seen numerous cases where animal rights activists freaks out and actually hurts local industry with their campaigns, it is double standards at its worst.

new topics

top topics

join