It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

William's ATS rant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Grrrrrrrr

Don't make me rant about people who quote an entire long post to make a one sentance reply!!!!

Do you think gigabytes grow on trees?

Huh?

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Ouch sorry William didnt mean to quote your long post.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by William

The reason I mentioned my time with ATS was not to impress you, but to establish that I've seen a great deal... and our current crop of newly-active members (less than 6 months of membership, yet daily posters) seem to be the poorest group yet when it comes to an overall understanding and appreciation of what ATS is, and what it takes to keep it that way.

[Edited on 7-11-2003 by William]

Nice way to insult all of us new(ish) members! I don't feel like I have taken the Staff for granted,I have alot of respect for all that the staff do, and I only contribute to the board when I feel that my comments/topics will add to the board. I may not be as smart as many of the older members but does that make me "poor" william? I'm not ranting I'm just dicussing.

[Edited on 113030p://222 by earthtone]

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I agree with a lot of what William said...

I completely understand how time comsuming it must be to run a community this big. Also all the stuff you or the people actually running the servers have to do, another thing that some people may overlook is the price to run this website! I mean Xeon servers are far from cheap!

I think you Moderators do a great job

Must be very hard.

I'm not sure I agree that the members that have joined in the last 6 months (me included) are the worse you have seen... I don't think we're bad at all

Perhaps some of us are, I don't know... But I just want to say a big sorry if I, or any of us seem to take you for granted, I don't... And I'm sure loads of thoers don't either.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtoneNice way to insult all of us new(ish) members! I don't feel like I have taken the Staff for granted,

I think you missed the point. The comment was not directed at the earnestness of our newer members to participate... on the contrary, I think some of our newer members, upon finding ATS, jump in and participate with a vigor unlike previous "batches" of new members.

But there is a general feeling, a tone, that many aspects of ATS are taken for granted, because the effort to get to where we are now has not been observed. For example, an illustration... from time to time, over the past two months, there have been issues where the server was either overwhelmed with traffic, or having other problems, and ATS was not available. While this is indeed frustrating, the frequency of this downtime is much, much less than it was 9 months ago. However, I've noticed a current attitude of impatience when the board is down, compared to a previous attitude of concern. Do you see the difference? A subtle but important hint about the mindset of newer members toward ATS.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   

you see the difference? A subtle but important hint about the mindset of newer members toward ATS.

Ok, I do see your point. However, dont say say that us new members are impatient. I am the opposite, I can't complain about something that is so good, and has been created for me for free! Thats excellent!

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I hear your pain. However, it's not just these forums. It seems to be happening all over the Net. Forums I have long enjoyed, I no longer visit because of increasing numbers of l'enfants terrible.

Recently, I've even found myself wishing for the good ol' days when the Net was not open to the general public. It helps me to remember the average I.Q. of that general public is only 100.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Oh.. wow... don't get me started along those lines!! Yeah, the days when simply being online was an immediate indication of a level of commitment and intelligence... ah... those were the days.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Williams i hope you aint refering to me when you talk of the current crop of new members.

I have only been on ATS for some 4 weeks just, but i feel ive made a valid contribution.
Yes including ATS marriages! (manwife -kaozero)

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
But alas, length of time does mean something,....

But alas, it does not. According to my ATS profile, I've been a member since only of May 2003. I have an e-mail from ATS that can confirm I've been around since at least 6 February 2002. (And given that, can I have my term of membership corrected?)

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   
as i read some of these post i cant help but feel that you dont Appreciate or dont care for members that have not been around for atleast 6 months. it should not the amount of time on the site but the quality of the posts . but thats just my opinion

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZenWarrior
...Recently, I've even found myself wishing for the good ol' days when the Net was not open to the general public...

Jezuz... I have to admit I was surprised to see this coming from a member of ATS. The comment in itself goes against everything ATS stands for!!
:bnghd:

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniversalFiction

Originally posted by ZenWarrior
...Recently, I've even found myself wishing for the good ol' days when the Net was not open to the general public...

Jezuz... I have to admit I was surprised to see this coming from a member of ATS. The comment in itself goes against everything ATS stands for!!

"Deny Ignorance" is the motto of ATS. Fact: The general public is ignorant. (Or as I say, "You can lead a mind to knowledge, but you can't make it think.") The opening of the Net to the general public seems not to have reduced its ignorance one iota. In fact, there seems ample evidence to argue there has been an expansion. I can assure you the Net was a far less ignorant place, and a place to find far more intelligent discourse, before the public was allowed access.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join