It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Looks like Alex Jones's TerrorStorm has been subject to tampering on viewer figures, after what google has done with the Chinese google this is making google look like a big player in keeping truth at bay.

TerrorStorm Viewing Figures Reset

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
happens time and time again, if i recall correctly and it's doubtful that there is a single 'clean' search engine provider on the web, because if there was, it would be put out of business, somehow.

we've got one advantage, though: one can't censor what you don't notice, so as with any medium, initial footage is most likely authentic !

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I heard about this listening to his show Alex was mighty mad about this. You don't think that was the first time this happened do you?

posted on Oct, 1 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
IMO, topics like these should be of great interest at ATS, yet they seem to get overlooked time and time again........The internet can be slowley dismantled just like the Constitution and it has me greatly concerned.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Only going to say you're all right on. Alex is right on! There is no good reason for Google to employ tactics like that unless they, or their handlers, have a personal stake in keeping certain information from broader public view. There is no good reason and IT IS CENSORSHIP!

Hope others see this thread and add to it. These are unsettling tactics, and it makes very clear that the entire community of individuals researching what's really going on in this country need to be a a lot louder. Google is asking for it. Google is demanding it.

I would hope anyone reading this would watch his movie again (and any other Alex Jones movies) and boost it up to where it should be.

It's clear that Alex's information - and all free "truthful" information - is being read and understood more and more by a growing populace, and they're telling the truth. This country wants the truth - and we're tired of having our national news focus on Britney Spears, morning talk show celebrities, sensational kidnapping or murder cases and only superficial, censored coverage of the Iraq war!

What's really going on in this country would startle, truly startle and terrify anyone with the patience to research for five minutes on the Internet. I'll give you a couple of sites:

Website

Website

Website

Website

Website

Website

Website

If anyone can add to this list please do...

If you're getting your news from CNN, national public or local television, then you might consider the brain mush they are passing off as news and really learn about what's going on in this country, and how our government and government controlled corporations do not always have your best interest's at heart...

Read on!

[edit on 2-10-2006 by OnTheDeck]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'd just like to jump in and offer an alternative, having some first-hand experience with Google engineers a few years ago, and related Internet "user-generated content" (UGC) experience.

(DISCLAIMER: This alternative view of the story by no means implies I "side with Google", just presenting an alternative.)

The reason for the zeroing of view totals may be less sinister than you think. Google's internal search technology culture is rabid against anything that may incorrectly influence the accuracy of its results. For example, sites that are caught using inappropriate methods of "search spam" to improve their rankings in search results often see their page ranks reset to zero, and forced to remain at zero until the unethical techniques stop.

Also, while there has been much click-fraud in Googles AdSense/AdWords programs, it is exceptionally better now, and advertisers no longer pay for multiple clicks from the same or very-similar IP addresses (among a long list of automated click-fraud filters).

Given what we know about Google's penchant for building automated systems to prevent inappropriate fudging of search, ad, and popularity results, this may be the case here. If there were massive numbers of views from the same IP in an effort to jack up the view numbers, Google's system may have automatically zeroed the totals.

Have a look at this section of the Google Videos Terms of Service:

You shall not, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to directly or indirectly purchase, rent or otherwise obtain access to Your Authorized Content through any automated, deceptive, fraudulent or other invalid means, including but not limited to through repeated manual clicks, the use of robots or other automated query tools and/or computer generated search requests, and/or the fraudulent use of other search engine optimization services and/or software or credit cards. Google reserves the right to investigate, at its own discretion, any activity that may violate this Agreement.

And it would seem that Alex is not alone
Google Censoring Videos

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
One other thing of note, is that cookies are used to constrain your searches without your knowledge...

In other words...
never post a link to a google search, for proof of evidence...
you might just find that what everyone else sees is not what you see on the search page...

The recent charlie Sheen interview was one similar incident, where Google could pull up search results for some people, but it was virtually scourged from the net, on others...

it was selectivly ignoring certain search words, and giving censored search responses accordingly...

Info wars had a little article on that google snafu as well, and made them fix it.

Many users on the board noticed that they couldn't get valid searches for some time...

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
so, what did you see?

i don't like to link like this, but it's the only remaining source i know!

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Lazarus' post indicates unscrupulous activity as well. Just wanted to respond to your post, Skeptic. What you copied and pasted from the Google disclaimer appears to be a boilerplate disclaimer.

What Google did, and what every successfully nefarious corporation does, is make damn sure that they create a loophole(s) for themselves by creating self-serving verbage in contracts, disclaimers, etc., and then broadly interpreting these dictums to suit their own twisted ends. Beyond that, trying to challenge these corporations becomes a financial and legal nightmare as these organizations generally retain several hundred pounds of legal staff and mountains of money to defend their underhanded tactics....of course they don't always win...

The USA Patriot Act is a great example of this, with terminology that can easily be applied to variegated circumstances, (see 18 U.S.C. § 2339A and 18 U.S.C. § 2339B) where it criminalizes individuals offering "material support" to terrorists and to foreign terrorist organizations, or (see U.S. criminal code at 18 U.S.C. § 2331) also considers it a criminal act to "...coerce a civilian population". The terms "material support" and "coercion" are, in this case, disturbingly broad, and when the determination of these cases of made by the president alone (yeah, the same one that's at war with three countries right now...the one building the Mexican/Canadian Superhighway...Chavez' best bud...), and without judicial review (as in suspension of habeas corpus) you can go ahead and wet your drawers now...

Another scary and underhanded tactic being used by our government (the bad part) is to mix bills together, so the improvements on immigration laws are mixed with nefarious torture and further suspension or removal of civil liberties, so those voting are voting on one bill. If they want better treatment and legislation for immigrants they have to sign; even though by signing they are also signing these other nefarious bills into law.

Further, there is an attitude that whomever debates, or has a dissenting point of view with regard to legislation that could further strip U.S. civilians of their constitutional rights (what little we have left) they are considered soft on terrorism (probably under our increasingly complex and growing terror legislation, even aiding and abetting the terrorists...).

I would like to give props to Colin Powell for cautioning the president in his attempts to further defecate on the constitution and apply for more torture get out of jail free cards. Colin's right, and it's about time someone spoke up and reminded the president we were trying to promote peace and democracy and not a philosophy or practice of torturing citizens, whether criminals from this country or not. If you are curious as to whether or not torture works, read
here.

Why Bush is pushing for so much torture legislation when it doesn't work, is clearly creating dissention within the White House, and is greatly damaging public opinion is another sign that he and his administration are out of control. By the way, if we're getting "good intelligence", by the way, by torturing people, I'd like to know what techniques work best, and what information that technique has netted...

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is one of those things that doesn't really strike me as being sinister.

Is there a conspiracy here; Yes.

Is it a nefarious plot of the NWO; No.

Companies like Google have alot tied up in image. If a middle-aged soccer mom gets on Google to see what kind of content is in the top 10 list, and she sees "Political Extremist Propaganda" then she is going to have second thoughts about letting her kid use that site. I'm sure that if it was a video about how giving head could help prevent breast cancer, it would be manipulated out of the top ten list too, just for appearances.

The video is still on google right? If they really didn't want anyone to see it, it would be gone.

Edit to add:
Its the same principal as Disney settling everything out of court to protect their image.

[edit on 3-10-2006 by Nicotine1982]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I would like to point out that the nwo does not control everything we create, they simply control our perception of reality so that we create the things they want us to create. It all operates on a subconscious level, ritual magic mostly.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Nicotine, you could be partially correct in your assumption that Google's tendency to censor material is not a nefarious plot that is part of, directed by, or influenced by what people are calling the "New World Order".

However, given the available threads that would remotely apply here, which include Aliens & UFOs, Secret Societies, New World Order, Area 51 and other Facilities, Military & Government Projects, Weaponry and Education & Media, this one seems better suited to this topic.

Censorship is based in ignorance, and a desire to control, suppress, manipulate and doctor information. Even given that broad interpretation, censorship's primary function is essentially to deliberately and wilfully deceive. It's because of this, its sole function, that censorship can be called a nefarious practice.

With regard to Google, it's irrelevant whether or not they are part of the so called New World Order. What they are engaging in is wrong, and seems contrary to their own Mission Statement (although they don't specifically say they include "all available information" in their statement to make the "world's information...universally accessible and useful", one doesn't come away from this statement with the notion that Google has an aversion to certain types of information...they also do not claim to be a "family" organization, and if they had a protocol for removing, or guarding against offensive content they would start with the "adult" material and they would include appropriate language in their business/mission statements...)

Also, the picture that seems to be emerging regarding Google's continuing censorship of material may not appear to be a truly "nefarious" plot until you take into consideration the type of material, or the content of the material they seem to be "censoring", or opposed to (yes, they are employing censorship, which includes manipulating, removing, altering the statistics of, relocating, or otherwise inappropriately, or without just cause tampering with information, or breaching the code of conduct and handling that they claim is their modus operandi.) We can decide what we want to read or watch.

Google, like our government, engages in censorship out of ignorance, desire to control, and self-preservation. It's a deceiptful practice and it should not happen. And the argument that Google is afraid to lose the viewership of moms concerned about content is not a legitimate basis for this, business-wise or otherwise, because a tangible case is being made before their eyes that there is a powerful and growing demographic of people demanding that particular kind of information. They are about access to information - why are they removing or tampering with it? No touchy.

Google should be encouraging this behavior and facilitating it, instead of censoring, suppressing and deceiving its users. Bad bad bad. You say that although (paraphrasing) these figures may have been manipulated, the videos are still available to watch (end paraphrasing) is not the point. The point is that specific information has been tampered with in a way that removes it from greater viewership and regardless of the reasoning, this is wrong. And whether the reason is to retain what they consider a valued demgraphic, their practice is secretive and therefore insidious and "nefarious" arrrrgh!

But we are watching you Google! We see what you're doing, and the further out this rock in the pond radiates out, the more people who will be watching you. Do you really want to lose an even larger segment, because of unethical, unscrupulous, deceptive behavior, lawsuits, or just agitating your users (I think probably not...)? So please stop...

By the way, I like using terms like nefarious and insidious. They have a sensational tone and ad hominem arguments usually give people that little push they need and galvanizes them into doing a little research...

[edit on 3-10-2006 by OnTheDeck]

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Another point...

Google is like any other search engine... they can be manipulated by various means...
some legal, and some illegal, and some unethical...

I will give props to them, that when Yahoo was being data dragged by the EN ES AYE, google was pointing as many people as possible to a video of Bush being a fanatical dork...

it was one of those "bush" and "i feel lucky" things...

Kinda showed, that regardless of who operates and runs these engines...
its people like you and me, that work there...

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I can understand why they would of pegged TerrorStorm down in the rankings, thanks to the posts on this forum so far. However why have a rankings page on "user post video's" in the first place if your going to maniupulate the way it works?

Hopefully the internet stays the way it is with great freedom, to say anything we may wish and like, so we can discuss topics such as this one, just hope no other countries get on the China Communist bandwagon.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
omg
retract what i just said nwo is in full swing

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
There is just something about google I don't trust. The paranoid part of me thinks it is run by the US government to keep tabs on everyone.

What better way to do it than get everyone to come to you?

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The article you placed a link to just stated, as far as I could tell, that many politicians are behind the curve as far as being up to date on the Internet because of their age.

The article title, "Politicians Warned of Google Effect" means that the politicians have been warned by well-meaning individuals that they better understand this medium better, because citizens are using it as an informational tool and powerful networking device.

Actually, along these lines, I had an idea that may or may not work. The idea is this, these electronic voting machines have already been hacked into. These machines are obviously easily tampered with. However, the idea of relying on a single machine to tally votes, having that machine already compromised (and by an academic professor), but beyond that, having any factor of unreliability or suseptability to tampering - even a hundreth of a percent - is too much.

My idea is a grass roots idea. Could voters go to the booths during election time, then come home and log their vote onto a secure website? The website would not be a true measure of votes, and could not be used other than an unverified reference, but it might, if the numbers were at variance with certain localities, urge people to take a closer look at votes in these areas. The site could be ivote.com, or ivoted.com, or seemyvote.com...could be like craigslist.com - tomvote.com, powervote.com...just an idea.

As it appears in the article estar referenced, if the citizens using the Internet moved quickly enough to assemble networks and grass roots forums and fact checking sites, etc., we stand a good chance of really creating a tool to reclaim the citizenship we see slipping away...

This also goes along with my idea that since Google has shown that they can block certain search terms to material they don't want widely viewed (i.e. censor material) that we should, now, right now, be making available to each other, links to websites that do not - DO NOT - censor, twist, spin, muddy, conceal, alter, manipulate or obfuscate the truth. I am adding a short list below.

If we can get one website, maybe call it truth.com, or freeinformation.com, or powertothepeople.com, or whatever - something easy - and just put links to these sites that have honest, truthful, readily available, incisive and current information, then we don't have to worry about Google (or any other search engine) blocking search terms, and we can get the truth. And that is power.

Why can't information be as free as the air we breathe?! Why are people afraid of information? You know what, that's all we have left as citizens, because our rights are sure being eroded. When we don't have a free sharing of ideas and information, you might as well say welcome to China. It's beginning to look like we're running Chinese software on U.S. interface...

DavideIcke.com
Rense.com
Educate-yourself.org
Prisonplanet.com
Infowars.com
Arcticbeacon.com
Freepressinternational.com
911truth.org
Whatreallyhappened.com

POW-ER TO THE PEOPLE!
PO-WER TO THE PEOPLE!!

POW ER TO THE PEOPLE, RIGHT ON!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Google has gone on the record so many times saying that they will not become big brother giving information to the goverment and third party interest but what exactly is holding them back other than a screen door for the viewing public that "this would never happen", yet look at china. Google has grown so rapidly that it is becoming a sort of SkyLab, especially with them wanting to buy youtube the largest video viewing site on the web.

And since the owners of google have entered the billion dollar club I am very sure that the illuminati, bilderbergs, whatever... have propositioned them.

posted on Oct, 9 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This point needs to be reiterated ad infinitum, and that is that we can no longer rely on any corporation to see or act beyond its own personal interests; and those interests include generating profit, self-preservation, cutting costs, growth of power and influence, etc. A corporation cannot survive otherwise (at least as far as these individuals are concerned). This includes the U.S. government, who responds to public outrage (and outrage within its own confines) by spouting the same need for terror response, and then turning its back on us.

Not that there aren't scrupulous individuals within these corporations, but I am suggesting that any, any possibility or threat of misuse of power, act of malfeasance, or compromise of personal data (or otherwise), or unethical or immoral behavior within a corporation is damaging to that corporation's integrity and reputation. Further, it shows that as citizens we must be able to operate as much as possible within a framework that supports open and free trade of information without the aid (or in this case obstruction) of any corporate entity.

I say this, because one of the most widely used search engines in the world, Google, has already shown that it can block, alter, remove, censor, or tamper with the free flow of information, and even one instance of that practice puts that company in a poor light. Not only that, but Google, on their website, professes to "organizing the world's information and making it universally accessible and useful", but has acted in contradiction to this philosphy by infractions mentioned on this thread. Several times (and these are the only ones that have so far come to light).

You can read more about Google and your personal information here. The networking going on with the guy on the street (through ATS, etc.) is making it possible for us to stay informed (more informed that anyone in power would like), and for us to bring this unacceptable behavior to the light of day, and to respond effectively and in force.

We have our ATS's and Rense.com's and Alex Jones, but we need more! We need more Educate-yourself.org's, but with categorized material on all of these subjects: pandemic flu threats, military operations, corporate fraud and misuse of power, blocking or censorship of critical information. Someplace that is secure, trustworthy, and made by us for us. Alex Jones, Rense, and others are starting the movement, but it needs to spread. We don't have a national media anymore, we have transformed news into an extension of our entertainment industry.

I made some suggestions in my threads, and I hope to have time to compile a more complete picture, but I really feel that this needs to be rigorous, far reaching, real time and accessible to all of us who really see how critical it is to know what's going on in this country and on this planet. People from every country are reading these threads, and they take this information seriously. A lot of it needs to reach a larger audience. If people were privy to a lot of the information threaded throughout ATS and other sites they would be appalled and urged to share it with their friends, family, coworkers...too many people are in the dark... There needs to be a continued and larger and larger free exchange of ideas...These are just thoughts...

top topics

join