It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about the Human Brain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
ahhh the Franklin Institute... brings back memories

Back when I was growin up in Philly; I used to go to the "Tripstitute" all the time.. aahh the good ole days....

[edit on 10/4/2006 by TONE23]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I had a new question for the Brainiac.

I would like to know what sort of advances have been made towards interpreting the Alpha Waves (and other brainwaves) produced during dream-state, and how far off we are from being able to effectively "watch and/or record dreams".

Personally, I'd think there'd be a huge market for this, and am surprised there hasn't been more research done on it.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I would like to know what sort of advances have been made towards interpreting the Alpha Waves (and other brainwaves) produced during dream-state, and how far off we are from being able to effectively "watch and/or record dreams".

I'll include "some" information here, but, if you refer to the research thread "The Human Brain Research Project" that should be up and running any day now, I will delve into much more detail.

For now, suffice it to say, that yes there is "some" limited research going on in that area. Much more exciting though, is the research into simply understanding Dreams and where they come from.

The Brain produces 5 named types of waves.
1. Gamma : Extreme Problem solving.
2. Beta : Awake, Functional and engaged.
3. Alpha : Relaxed, still awake and aware. (resting)
4. Theta : Daydreaming, Unaware, Awake.
5. Delta : Asleep.

There are also "Sub" categories that will be discussed in the research thread.

The act of dreaming occurs during Delta activity. The problem with "watching" or "recording" them, (Well we can of course record them and determine the Intensity of the dream) but to interpret to the extent of "watching" someone dream is to the best of my knowledge, not currently possible.

This could be in part do to the interaction of the electrical impulses of the brain and the chemical reactions within the brain.

The "Brain Waves" that we can observe and record, are simply the indication of brain activity, not the explanation of what the subject is experiencing. Think of it this way, If you have a "Multimeter" you can check and tell that your television is on, it is consuming power and receiving a signal, but unless you know to walk in front and look at the screen, you can not tell what is playing.

Hope this helps and keep watching for the Research Project. I have some EXCELLENT interview transcripts and of course the results of the questions put to Springers associate. I also have some MRI'S from actual subjects and well.. it is going to be VERY indepth...

Semper

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Very interesting stuff, I'm looking forward to reading more of this

*This is not a one line post, it's all in your mind*

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Think of it this way, If you have a "Multimeter" you can check and tell that your television is on, it is consuming power and receiving a signal, but unless you know to walk in front and look at the screen, you can not tell what is playing.

What a fantastic analogy. I very much look forward to reading this research project. If there's any room left for questions for the thread, I was curious about the zombie effect produced by the various neurotoxins used in voodoo. I don't personally put any stock in zombies (though Dead Rising is hella fun, for those that have a 360), but I have complete faith in drugs ability to do some pretty messed up things. I'm not entirely certain how to ask the question, but rather am interested about the process itself, what's myth, what's real, what's possible, and so forth. That might be reaching a bit, but is still an interesting subject.

OH! Another question: what will be needed before a true "Artificial Intelligence" (self-awareness, not just a game strategy) can be made possible? In other words, if mankind were to re-create all the functions of the human brain via chips, wires, etc, and had an input and an output mechanism for it, what would be lacking (discussion of souls aside) to give that machine self-awareness? How do you "jump start" such a process? So far all my robots do is just stand there till I give them orders.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

In other words, if mankind were to re-create all the functions of the human brain via chips, wires, etc, and had an input and an output mechanism for it, what would be lacking (discussion of souls aside) to give that machine self-awareness? How do you "jump start" such a process? So far all my robots do is just stand there till I give them orders.

I intend on submitting an indepth analogy of the differences between computers and the brain.

Suffice it here to say that the computer for all of it's fantastic progress and growth, continues to be simply a set of either "On/Off" switches or Positive/Negative Magnetic flux patterns, both significantly primitive compared to the brain which uses a still not understood series of electrical impulses and chemical reactions to store and process data.

So I could not possibly postulate as to when we could duplicate that. As for a computer being "aware", that could have already been done on a government level and we would know nothing about it. It also depends on a persons definition of "aware."

"I think therefor I am"

Who knows?

Semper

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Well, even the synapses inside our own brains are a part of a circuit. They have to be binary, in the sense that either they are open(off), or closed(on). As this binary order is the main means of communicating to the entire body, I'm left with no other choice than to believe that we are in fact a vastly superior computer.

In many ways, a lot of ways, we surpass the computer; mostly in the reasoning department. The computer however doesn't get bogged down with emotions, which allows it to "behave" the same way every time, regardless of who or what's involved.

Just my take on this.

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Borg,

You take would be correct, except that the "on and off" function you mention is not how the brain functions.

Simplistically, the electrical impulses you mention are not the means of data storage. They activate the chemicals and the section of the brain being utilized at that time. The mechanics of that utilization are so complex that we have no real idea how the data is stored.

Not simple "on and off" to be sure, more like varied and complex non-random chemical compounds activated to various extents and stored in various locations. (Perhaps)

Semper

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
However, when those portions of the brain are not active, the information stored in them remains intact, yet unused. My simple point was the way that the electrical impulses work in the human body, and their likeness to a computer. As for the actual memory storage, maybe your contact could elaborate for us some.

I look forward to it man.

Oh, and it's good to hear from ya again.

TheBorg

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
You too Borg, Missed 'Ya

Tone is starting the research thread on Monday. I have a TON of material, interviews etc.

It is going to be categorized for members easy reference. This has kept me busy these last few days, and it is pretty exciting.

Semper

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I just decided I,d like to add my intellect to this grey matter induced thread.

Also I am more than willing to experiment upon myself during this time of convalescence by subjecting my neurons to various forms of intoxicating substances and negative sense stimulation.

My experiment will be thus.

1)Imbibe 1 litre of UK maximum legal strength alcoholic spirits
2)Attempt to negotiate a series of obstacles on my way to the refrigerator for more
3)Subject my auditory senses to the rants of my girlfriend on the Pros and Cons of staying in the UK and "settling down"
4)I will,once and for all,subject myself to a theological/scientific debate to PROVE that alcohol makes you more intelligent
5)subject my body to sensory deprevation(ie go to bed/switch off the lights and attempt to sleep while the room spins)

(disclaimer)results may vary depending upon amount of food consumed and how good "The Xfactor" is tonight.Will be repeated every Saturday night until satisfactory data is collected.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
imo, the following report needs to be debunked - as narrow, limited in scope, short-sighted, whatever.

Out-of-Body Experience? Your Brain Is to Blame

They are eerie sensations, more common than one might think: A man describes feeling a shadowy figure standing behind him, then turning around to find no one there. A woman feels herself leaving her body and floating in space, looking down on her corporeal self.

Such experiences are often attributed by those who have them to paranormal forces.

But according to recent work by neuroscientists, they can be induced by delivering mild electric current to specific spots in the brain. ...While the cause of these symptoms is not known, he said, multisensory processing areas may be involved. ...the sense of body integrity is rather easily duped, Dr. Blanke said. ...And while it may be tempting to invoke the supernatural when this body sense goes awry, he said the true explanation is a very natural one, the brain’s attempt to make sense of conflicting information.

The most obvious question being: "What or who, besides a chemical imbalance or experimental neuroscientist, might trigger the brain's multisensory processor?"

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I...uh...sorry...what is this thread about?

Is there asubject? I went past it, I skimmed it....and I still dont get it.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holygamer
I...uh...sorry...what is this thread about?

Is there asubject? I went past it, I skimmed it....and I still dont get it.

Asking questions and getting to know the human brain.So far it might seem complex to understand,but then again the brain really is complex.I was hoping we could understand the organ that has the capabilities to tranform Earth resources into MANY things:technology,transportation,entertainment,shelters,weapons,tools,etc,etc.................

Without the brain we wouldn't have all of these things that we have right now.
Keep up the great work!!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Your post on "out of body experiences" is one topic I will be delving into at length on Monday when the research thread starts up.

In short for here, Keppingers and Persingers research project was able to reproduce similar effects using a magnetic field enhanced with a varying electrical current. They postulated that the brain is actually creating the experience drawing on fractured bits of memory fragments and imposing them into the shallow subconscious and producing an effect much like a waking dream state.

Much more coming starting on Monday...

Semper

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
FYI in the Research Forum the project has finally begun!!!!!!!!!!

To me getting to know the brain is like getting to know the secrets of the universe,why,because if we discover something so complex and figure it out,then I would feel like a Genius!!!!
here is the link

TONE23 and semperfortis and possibly Springer are in this project,anyone else interested??

[edit on 9-10-2006 by tormentor]

[edit on 9-10-2006 by tormentor]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
If this does pick up, and if Springer does or does not pull through, I will leave the following offer open to all who participate.
Scholar status and your own project thread, for continued research, if you all are interested.

Thanks, but I've had Scholar status for quite a while & I'm not sure if I want an entire thread of my own for brain research. I may be so bold to say that I really haven't given much thought about my brain.

However, I'll be happy to correlate info I have in my library & post it in Tone23's thread. But I do have a few minor thoughts that could just as easily fit this thread.

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
Check out
www.belowtopsecret.com...
for excellent perspectives based on "Brain and Spirit"

Originally posted by TONE23
so the combination of an stimulated Hippocampus and Amygdala; and with a sudden decrease in the geomagnetic activity in the Temporal lobes... it helps to stimulate the "latent reserve capacities" and allows for a possible psi experience.

A possibly-related idea to this is in the thread www.abovetopsecret.co2857..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Tryptamines and God. I don't remember actually posting there myself because I'm not up to speed on pharmaceuticals...Could say that I just couldn't take this subject in the right "vein."

No, I think that Fight or Flight is a primitive reflex action in response to certain EXTREME stimuli. That would make it a basic function and thereby unaffected by "training."

I would agree with this, because your brain would have to already make the decision to "fight or flee" before your training could take effect.

And I have a lazy brain almost everyday...
But then, it's because I'm lazy..

By nature, we human beings are lazy: I might conjecture that 99.9% of all new inventions revolve around greater comfort or to make work easier. I'm surprised that the guy who invented the hammock ever got around to it...It must've happened when he was laying out in the yard, between two trees.

Originally posted by thelibra
OH! Another question: what will be needed before a true "Artificial Intelligence" (self-awareness, not just a game strategy) can be made possible?

So far, all computers work only in serial processing...data signals flow from one part of the processor chip to another, each step performing it's programmed function in turn.
The brain is a parallel processor, each stimuli setting off a chain reaction that branches signals across multiple areas of the brain that contain memories. In each branch, a bit of memory or emotional trigger-reaction adds personal impressions & bias to each perceived-stimulus originating from our physical senses (sight, smell, touch, hearing and/or taste, in whatever combination they were stimulated).

In comparison, think of the computer as a straight piece of wire with "nodes" along its length, each node performing its function as the data flows through the wire: The brain works more like a tree, with the original "data signal" beginning at ground level, flowing up the main trunk & splitting off to the numerous branches at the same time...Each sub-branch, twig & leaf being its own "node" for processing the signal flow.

In short, we'll never be able to make a computer "think like a human" until we can figure out how to build processor chips that operate in parallel instead of serial dataflow: The programming of such a computer, I think, would be a nightmare to write.

I'll have more on this, with sources, in the other "Brain Thread" that's been linked already.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join